Windows 10: install chrome

Discus and support install chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; does anyone know how to install chrome on another disk? there is not a wizard that shows that will allow to pick the install location 7137 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jamos316, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jamos316 Win User

install chrome

does anyone know how to install chrome on another disk?
    there is not a wizard that shows that will allow to pick the install location

:)

jamos316, Jun 16, 2015

2. Installing Chrome

It's IMPOSSIBLE to install Chrome as windows insists that I ask for permission. I've done this, my parent has approved but I still can't use chrome. SORT IT OUT.

Hazzamills, Jun 16, 2015
  3. installing chrome

This did not solve the problem: in fact, when I tried downloading Chrome I encountered a message that Chrome could not be installed. I give up: I'll stick with Firefox!

beachguide, Jun 16, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

install chrome

It seems it can be done. After a couple minutes googling for possible solutions I found this on our sister forum.

swarfega, Jun 16, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    The short answer is that you can't install it to an alternate location.

The longer answer is that you can hack up a solution through junction points to create a link to a different location. See:

How to Change the Installation Path for Google Chrome | Chron.com

Mystere, Jun 16, 2015
  6. See if the standalone installer gives you the option to install Chrome in a different location when you use the All users option.

Information about the alternate (download page is below the quotes)

Here's the download page for the Chrome standalone installer.

Press the Download Chrome button on that page and agree to the terms. If you want to make Chrome your default browser, leave the check in that box, otherwise remove the check.

install chrome [​IMG]

Please write a post if the alternate installer allows you to change the install location just by launching it. Many installers have options that can be specified at execution time. It might take a bit more work (i.e. extract the install files, change the information in the ini file). I don't know what the alternate installer for Chrome allows. It might just put it in the Program Files folder instead of the users Appdata .... folder.

Thanks.

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    It doesn't.

Mystere, Jun 16, 2015
  8. install chrome

and you know this because:
    a) you tried it
    b) you launched the install pkg with /?
    c) you investigated the msi pkg with Orca
    d) you're a Chrome developer
    e) ???

Not to enter into a great debate, because I'm not willing to go through the exercise unless jamos316 is willing to try it.

Installer pkgs often have parameters that are not well documented outside of a developer discussion.

I did close my post with: It might take a bit more work (i.e. extract the install files, change the information in the ini file). I don't know what the alternate installer for Chrome allows. It might just put it in the Program Files folder instead of the users Appdata .... folder.

If you choose to really investigate this, there are two flavors of the standalone installer - User and System. Make sure you use the System stand alone Chrome installer.

Maybe all jamos316 really wants to do is move the data store folders, not the entire package.

I'll bow out until jamos316 adds some input.

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Because there are plenty of google posts that tell you it's not an option.

Mystere, Jun 17, 2015
  10. Fragment Win User
    Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    You really shouldn't use this for day to day use, as it doesn't update automatically. That means you won't get new updates as they are available, and that can lead to a lot of problems because almost all sites assume google users will always be on the latest version.

You have to manually download and install a new portable version whenever updates occur, and they don't always update for every version.

Mystere, Jun 17, 2015
  12. Fragment Win User
    It does not cause "a lot" of problems.
    I have machines which have had chrome versions 2x.x installed until shortly and browsing was still fine.
    The OP had a question. And this is an answer to his question.
    In any case the portable editions are alarming you when updates are out. And you can simply install over the old installation without losing settings. It is not a big effort if your main issue is to have the install location on another disk like OP asked for.

Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

install chrome

My point is that Chrome is "install and forget" for most people, and Google is not very good about notifying people when new versions are out, because they assume all users will be upgraded automatically. Most people are simply not going to be diligent about this, which means you will be exposed to security vulnerabilities, you may have problems with sites that are using new features and assume chrome will have them, and you will likely have issues with extensions which try to upgrade and assume you will be using the most recent version.

Mystere, Jun 17, 2015
  14. Thanks Fragment,

That is the answer to the question jamos316 asked:

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  15. Fragment Win User
    As I said. OP asked for a solution. I delivered. Standard extensions wont have ANY problems even with many major releases.
    If he wants to install on another location he pays the price of some comfort on the other hand.
    But please why are you even making an effort to trash talk portable versions so stubbornly in this thread, when it is totally malapropos.

And finally: If you use the Portable Apps suite you can keep your apps autoupdated as well! So there is nothing to fear using chrome portable if your main interest is to install it in another location than the default one.

You speak as if there is one update and you dont do it in the next hours after it came out the world breaks down.
    Go read the chrome release notes and then talk. Btw I just tested it... just for you... recent version of ad block plus works on a chrome 36 (july 14... thats ONE YEAR AGO).

But yes in one single point you are right. You should update your browser or let it update automatically for security reasons.
    So just use PAppSuite and let Chrome get updated automatically.

Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
Thema:

install chrome

1. install chrome - Similar Threads - install chrome

2. Problem when I open newly installed Chrome

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem when I open newly installed Chrome: I had to uninstall and reinstall Chrome as it was not updating. Now everytime I open Chrome it goes to the screen to ask whether I want this app to make changes to my device. It never did this before. How do I change this. I cannot find a setting on my laptop which assists...
  3. Problem when I open newly installed Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem when I open newly installed Chrome: I had to uninstall and reinstall Chrome as it was not updating. Now everytime I open Chrome it goes to the screen to ask whether I want this app to make changes to my device. It never did this before. How do I change this. I cannot find a setting on my laptop which assists...
  4. Problem when I open newly installed Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  6. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  7. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. chrome installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chrome installation: Windows 11 not running in S Mode, but cannot download and install Chrome. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-installation/23820121-bb76-4e8a-b5d7-113a60151a5f
  9. chrome installation

chrome installation: Windows 11 not running in S Mode, but cannot download and install Chrome. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-installation/23820121-bb76-4e8a-b5d7-113a60151a5f
  10. Google Chrome keeps getting installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome keeps getting installed: Hi All,I have realized that Google Chrome is hiddenly installed on user-end computers without our permission. I would like to dive into this issue. How can we find out how that app/software is getting installed? Can I trace this at all? Thanks in advance....