Windows 10: Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM

Discus and support Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to install and deploy Windows 10 at the level of disk capture with DISM. However, the process of creating the ISO image is stuck... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mandem31, May 6, 2019.

1. mandem31 Win User

Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM

Hello,

I am trying to install and deploy Windows 10 at the level of disk capture with DISM.

However, the process of creating the ISO image is stuck at the WinPE level when I boot the installation disk. After entering Shift + F10 and opening the console as administrator, I can browse the list the existing drives.

The system disk is E: \ and the disk G: \ is the installation disk. (attached screenshots.)

The G: \ directory failed to show the install.wim (you have to navigate to the source folder to find it).

While I run the command: Dism / Capture-Image /ImageFile:G:\installnew.wim / CaptureDir: E: \ / Name: "Pers Installation", an error appears (Error: 5; Access is denied)?

Thank you for the help, it will be highly welcome!

Yours truly,

Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM a80d1915-54b5-4c46-a199-464c771d84cd?upload=true.png Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM e548b8bd-4636-4155-b905-fc8037b42ac1?upload=true.png Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM faf8b9ff-d4d2-46c7-8f0c-fd2c60375392?upload=true.png

:)

mandem31, May 6, 2019
  2. gt90 Win User

Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM

Hi,

I have the following task to complete; I would like to capture an image from a machine running Windows 10 enterprise using WinPE and DISM and then using Windows Server 2012 R2, PXE boot the captured image onto 10 other machines on the network. I would not like to use any third party tools to complete this task by the way. I am planning on following this guide: Deploy Windows 10 using MDT 2013 and WDS TheITBros but am having some trouble completely comprehending the guide. *Confused If anybody can suggest a better guide which satisfies my requirements I would very much appreciate your suggestions.Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM :)

My first question is (apart from the Server 2012 R2 which is my domain controllor, the 10 machines I wish to PXE boot the Windows 10 enterprise image to, the switch connecting the 10 machines and the network) how many additional machines do I need to complete this task? (I just want to get a clearer picture of how many machines I will need hence the first question)

My second question is about capturing the Windows 10 enterprise image itself. My current understanding is that I have to run sysprep with the generalise and OOBE (set to shutdown) switches to remove the SID's then boot WinPE on the machine and use DISM to capture the Windows 10 enterprise image. Sounds easy so far except that I've looked at some guides online and rather than capturing just the Windows 10 enterprise image, some people also capture their system and recovery partitions. Just to clear up what I mean by this, when you go into diskpart and then type list volume, you are shown (on my machine at least) the system partition which is about 100MB, the recovery partition which is about 500MB and the partition where my operating system is stored which varies from machine in size but is about 470GB on my machine. My point and question is do I only need to use DISM to capture the partition where my operating system is stored e.g. my C:\ drive and will this be enough when I later deploy the captured Windows 10 enterprise image via Server 2012 R2 and PXE booting?

Also, if you could please give me a small explanation on the steps I need to carry out next after capturing the Windows 10 enterprise image with DISM i.e. the steps to deploy the captured image using Server 2012 R2 and PXE booting across my network.This would be really appreciated, thank you.Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM :)

Thank you,

gt90, May 6, 2019
  3. ahelton Win User
    Best way to create W10 Pro reference computer and deploy the image

I noticed one of the prerequisites listed on this page for capturing and image using DISM is as follows:
    Will I need to generalize my image as stated in the article? I am a little afraid of Sysprep since last time I tried it it failed me miserably. Granted, I have everything backed up now Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM :)

ahelton, May 6, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Download Windows 10 TH/RS

*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

Dude, please stop bashing things you don't fully understand.

SFC is the first step, System File Checker. That can fix many issues using various flags and knowing the context, and is a first step when there is doubt about system integrity. This is a simple utility and using SFC /Scannow will be the most commonly used flagged command for initial repair diagnostics. Takes a few minutes and is worth doing to resolve issues. While it can repair many issues, there's also many it cannot. That's where the next step comes in should you need it.

DISM, or Deployment Image Servicing and Management, is the big gorilla in Windows OSes for repairs and image management. It has a wide variety of uses from image capture and deploy to repair.

The common command for DISM was DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth,

Just running this can result in a system being repaired, but since the launch of Windows 10, the image check has become more complicated, requiring you have the Install.WIM file available for the OS version you're trying to repair. This is relatively, though with Microsoft's deployment of Windows 10, most ISO's you get from them have an Install.ESD that must be converted to a .WIM file. Pretty easy to do with a command in CLI or Powershell.

I typed up an article about this in the past...I'll go ahead and share it here for a series of steps a person could take to repair OS corruptions in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It's not hard to do, but takes some attention to detail, being able to handle command line (which is easy), and a little patience.

I've personally fixed/repaired dozens if not hundreds of systems with these utilities, because simply... THEY WORK. How do I know? Because I'm a systems and network professional that has to manage 100s of Windows PCs ranging from XP to 10, and where we can use these utilities to repair corruption, we save a ton of time. My technicians, bench guys and engineers all know and use the hell out of these utilities.

I find it hard to accept your statement above as something acceptable to even say here, it clearly shows your lack of experience with using the repair utilities SFC and DISM correctly or looking into what the failures were and how to fix them appropriately. Nor is that kind of crap even what TPU is or has ever really been about, and being such a long time member I would have expected you know that...though you've always been that way so maybe it's just habitual...surely not helpful to anyone else participating in this thread, or even yourself.

The OS is literally telling you what is wrong and where it's keeping the information so you can look into it further, that's not whining, that's stating facts. Nice try though. If you don't want to learn how to fix OS corruption, don't blame the OS or tools, blame yourself and shut up about it, and don't bitch about the OS utilities whining...LOL, because in reality wouldn't your bitching mean you're whining??? *Slap :slap:

So knock that shit off and let's fix the issues instead k? *Wink Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM ;)

Kursah, May 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Install & Deploy Windows 10: Fail to capture Hard disk with DISM - Similar Threads - Install Deploy Fail

2. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid: Hi,I try to capture a Windows 10 Installation with dismdism /caputre-image /imagefile:\\myDestination\myW10.wim /CaputreDir: D:\ name:myW10 /compress:maxThe version of the windows PE I bootet into seems to be 10.0.18362The capture don't really start. The DISM Log says...
  3. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid: Hi,I try to capture a Windows 10 Installation with dismdism /caputre-image /imagefile:\\myDestination\myW10.wim /CaputreDir: D:\ name:myW10 /compress:maxThe version of the windows PE I bootet into seems to be 10.0.18362The capture don't really start. The DISM Log says...
  4. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing a new hard disk drive in windows 10 due to a failing one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a new hard disk drive in windows 10 due to a failing one.: So I got a boot usb drive inserted my new drive took out both old ones as I had a 100/c drive usage in my old cpu. Then I turned on the computer and got thru a few prompts then stated that my 1 tb hdd had 0mb and that my hard disk drive cannot be installed with windows 10....
  6. Windows Update fail / Repair install fail / SFC + DISM fail

Windows Update fail / Repair install fail / SFC + DISM fail: Hey there - really grateful for this forum's answers over the years but only now becoming a member to submit a puzzle of my own. Thanks for being here! This is a few-day-old new HP Envy x360 with 21H1 19043.1052 which I was getting set up, when it stopped being able to get...
  7. Can't boot from cloned Hard Disk DISM fails with error 0x800F081F

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot from cloned Hard Disk DISM fails with error 0x800F081F: 1. My original hard disk got bad sectors and won't boot. Tried to run recovery options but did not work 2. Cloned it to new disk of same size using Macrium Reflect Free 3. Now can't boot from the cloned disk. 4. Used Windows Bootable USB Media created using Windows Media...
  8. Installing windows 10 enterprise on a new computer and capturing its image to deploy it to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing windows 10 enterprise on a new computer and capturing its image to deploy it to...: We recently purchased Microsoft E3 license which includes Windows 10 Enterprise. Need to setup new laptop with Windows 10 enterprise license, capture custom image and deploy it other laptops using WDS. Whats the best way to do this? I am confused with the licensing part. The...
  9. Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk failed and chkdsk?: I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a...
  10. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.: A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well. Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. capture images of hard disk partition using dism

2. mdt unable to get information for wim file f:\x64\sources\install.wim.