Windows 10: Install English Win10 Over Japanese Win10 - Way to Avoid Losing Apps?

Discus and support Install English Win10 Over Japanese Win10 - Way to Avoid Losing Apps? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Received a nice super light and quick Panasonic Japanese market laptop (CF-SV7) with Win 10 Pro on it the other day. I am in USA, speak and write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArchiMark, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ArchiMark Win User

Install English Win10 Over Japanese Win10 - Way to Avoid Losing Apps?

Hi,

Received a nice super light and quick Panasonic Japanese market laptop (CF-SV7) with Win 10 Pro on it the other day.

I am in USA, speak and write English, not Japanese.

Language settings are now changed to English. Overall, looks OK now. However, there are still some items here and there that show in Japanese.

Keyboard is Japanese, but with English characters/symbols on keys along with Japanese.

Keyboard mapping is a bit off for some of the symbol keys. Letters are mapped OK. One option I'm thinking about is printing out some labels to put on some of the keys to show the correct mapping.

Thinking to buy a Win 10 license/drive locally and reinstall Win 10 to have 100% English throughout system.

So, a few questions about this possible idea please.

1. Is there a way to do the install where you don't lose/erase all the programs currently installed?

I have a link to download all the drivers, if I need them. But don't have a link for the Panasonic utility programs as of now. Probably not the end of the world if I can't install them, but would be nice to have.

2. Any idea whether doing this will improve or make worse situation with the keyboard mapping?

Thanks for any and all input.

Mark

:)

ArchiMark, Oct 22, 2018
  2. JhShklm Win User

Convert Win10 from Japanese to English

Hi,

I have purchased a laptop with Win10 Japanese OS. Is there any way of changing interface language in to English? and If it is possible, would it be effective to other software as well?

Thank you!

JhShklm, Oct 22, 2018
  3. TokyoMike Win User
    Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Oct 22, 2018
  4. Toothless Win User

Win10 updates

Which Windows updates in 8.1 where the gateway to installing Win10? I've ALWAYS had update as a "check but let me decide" basis however I woke up to this.

Install English Win10 Over Japanese Win10 - Way to Avoid Losing Apps? [​IMG]

With a bunch more (even AMD 7900 drivers, like wtf)

I'm trying to avoid the Win10 shitfest but good lord what has Microsoft done.

Toothless, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Install English Win10 Over Japanese Win10 - Way to Avoid Losing Apps? - Similar Threads - Install English Win10

2. Win10 – Language change Arabic to English

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 – Language change Arabic to English: I just bought a 2nd hand laptop by occasion and it has only one problem: the Windows 10 was installed in Arabic language and I need it in English. I do not read/speak Arabic language. I looked over many YouTube videos in Arabic and English language about how to change the...
  3. win10 install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 install: Can I install win 10 over win10 preview (10240)? 9473
  4. Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching Japanese Windows with English menus: I have just reinstalled my PC with Japanese Windows (it's the only way to enable the full use of a Japanese keyboard - special keys etc.). However, I want my system language to be English (menus etc.). So far I have tried the following: Settings: Installed English...
  5. Blocky English fonts in programs after Japanese>English lang. switch

in Windows 10 Support
    Blocky English fonts in programs after Japanese>English lang. switch: Hi all, I recently purchased a new Dell desktop here in Japan, but as English is my native language I switched the display language to English. Unfortunately, many programs and menu screens have blocky and small fonts, as if there is no anti-aliasing or screen smoothing...
  6. win10 install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 install: I have win 10 installed on this hdd. I am trying to install on another hdd from a disk/thumb drive that I downloaded from ms site (upgrade from win7) and when it ask for a product key I gave the win 7 id but it says it is not a legal one. What gives, I thought you could...
  7. Japanese software compatibility under the English version

in Windows 10 Support
    Japanese software compatibility under the English version: Hello, I am considering to buy a Surface Pro 4. If I buy the English version of the machine and add the Japanese language pack, can I run the Japanese version of software? Will that be fully compatible? Some of the filenames are in Japanese. Same question but in the case of...
  8. LOSE the infuriating ribbon in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    LOSE the infuriating ribbon in win10: I had got rid of it using the Winaero tool, but since the last win10 update, the ribbon recurs for one network drive and I've not been able to get rid of this daemonically unusable nuisance. Yes I'm restraining my language. How do I disable ribbons permanently on all...
  9. Run Japanese Programs in English Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Run Japanese Programs in English Windows 10: Is it possible to install and run Japanese programs (e.g., Japanese inDesign) on an English version of Windows 10? This was never possible before with Microsoft, but I am wondering if maybe they had caught up with MAC. 14861
  10. language: japanese to english

in Windows 10 Support
    language: japanese to english: I accidentally upgrade my windows 8 to windows 10 while in Japanese I want everything back in English I already tick regional language ,language settings and system locale my clock settings and keyboard are fine now but the system language is still in Japanese.. [img]...