Windows 10: Install from USB partitioned drive?

Discus and support Install from USB partitioned drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 557953, Sep 10, 2018.

1. 557953 Win User

Install from USB partitioned drive?

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot media on to do nice quick clean installs when I need to, another partition of around 20gb that will hold all my, notes docs exe files and other things I need after reinstalling windows, and then the remaining 200GB will just be my storage if I'm moving files around ect.
    When I tried to create the boot media with rufus it says disk partitions W X Y will all be destroyed when I do this, and I cannot find a way to make it see partition X only let's say....
    So really I'm asking is there any way I can do what I want to do, would creating boot media with rufus and then shrinking the volume to 10gb and repartitioning the unallocated space work, will Windows recognise this at all?

Thanks for reading my problem I hope I have been reasonably clear on what I'm looking for, if not I'm happy to provide more info if needed Install from USB partitioned drive? :)

Thanks in advance!

:)

557953, Sep 10, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 10, 2018
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 10, 2018
  4. mars Win User

Partition a USB Flash Drive

USB Partitioning

Do you know the technical part of it? How does the flipping of the removable happen? How can we partition a USB without using a 3rd party software? Can you suggest any programming language? and what algo should I use? thanks!

Thema:

1. Install from USB partitioned drive? - Similar Threads - Install USB partitioned

2. How to delete HFS+ partition from USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete HFS+ partition from USB drive?: I have a flashdrive with a HFS+ partition on it. This partition is not visible in disk management or diskpart. However, it is listed in stellar data recovery but cannot be removed using that program. How should I go about removing the partition so it will be useable?...
  3. How to delete HFS+ partition from USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete HFS+ partition from USB drive?: I have a flashdrive with a HFS+ partition on it. This partition is not visible in disk management or diskpart. However, it is listed in stellar data recovery but cannot be removed using that program. How should I go about removing the partition so it will be useable?...
  4. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  5. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  6. Windows not installing from usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not installing from usb drive: Recently formatted my SSD to clear up space which also meant i has to reinstall windows. I have a bootable usb where i can initiate the installation, but it never finishes. After the first automatic restart i get sent back to the setup screen forcing me to restart the...
  7. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  8. Partitioning USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitioning USB drive: Is there anyway to partition a USB drive into 2 separate "drives" ? So i got a 128GB usb thumb drive, i can partition it into 2 64GB partitions, however, with the way android works, if i format it to work as internal and select one 64GB partition, android will format the...
  9. Partitioning USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitioning USB drive: Is there anyway to partition a USB drive into 2 separate "drives" ? So i got a 128GB usb thumb drive, i can partition it into 2 64GB partitions, however, with the way android works, if i format it to work as internal and select one 64GB partition, android will format the...
  10. Can't install from USB drive

Can't install from USB drive: Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems.. The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update. But...