Windows 10: Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1

Discus and support Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have purchased a twin set of 1TB SSD that I want to setup as my new boot drive and move all contents from existing 128Gb SSD to the new ones.My case... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pappytopp, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Pappytopp Win User

Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1

I have purchased a twin set of 1TB SSD that I want to setup as my new boot drive and move all contents from existing 128Gb SSD to the new ones.My case allows for hot swapping, so I have setup the new SSD in Disk Management as G:.What are my next steps to move files to G:, then make G: my new boot drive?

:)

Pappytopp, Jun 24, 2021

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jun 24, 2021
  3. SSD as Boot Drive? How?

Well, I have Windows installed on the SSD, along with the drivers and browser. Now, I'm trying to install other stuff (Steam, games, etc.), but the mechanical drive isn't showing. I'm sure I missed a step?

Chosen Juan, Jun 24, 2021
  4. reyemarr Win User

New windows 10 installation in new SSD changing bios to UEFI boot up

I am planning on buying a new SSD and install a fresh copy of windows on it. However, I want to keep my old copy still working and bootable at least until I have transferred all the important stuff over, so I was thinking on installing a boot manager so
    that I can choose which version of windows to boot.

The questions I have are:

• My old drive booted up using legacy bios/MBR and I want to use GPT/UEFI now. I will setup the new drive accordingly, but i am wondering if I will still be able to boot the old drive once the new drive is GPT/UEFI
    • Any recommendations on which boot manager to use? I was thinking grup2win. Any comments?
    • Should I install the boot manager before or after installing the new windows SSD?
    Thanks all in advance

reyemarr, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1 - Similar Threads - Install SSD main

2. How do I get my ssd as the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my ssd as the main boot drive?: My SATA SSD 2.5 is the C drive but my HDD is the boot drive in bios, no option for SDD as a bootable drive that I can select there. and the SSD is set to 0 port and when I installed Windows 11 the HDD was plugged in. It's quite impossible for me to re-install Windows will...
  3. How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?

How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?: Hello,I have a Dell Laptop that came with 512 gb ssd and recently I installed a new 2 tb ssd and cloned the original drive. I have changed where storage is saved from the settings menu as well as changing boot order. However, everything keeps trying to install or save to the...
  4. How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?: Hello,I have a Dell Laptop that came with 512 gb ssd and recently I installed a new 2 tb ssd and cloned the original drive. I have changed where storage is saved from the settings menu as well as changing boot order. However, everything keeps trying to install or save to the...
  5. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  6. How to boot in Safe Mode when the boot drive is RAID1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot in Safe Mode when the boot drive is RAID1?: My system has a pair of SSD's configured as a RAID-1 array using the on-board Intel RST controller, which required my storing the drivers on a thumb drive in order to install Windows initially.The problem I'm faced with is that this configuration also seems to preclude being...
  7. How to boot in Safe Mode when the boot drive is RAID1?

How to boot in Safe Mode when the boot drive is RAID1?: My system has a pair of SSD's configured as a RAID-1 array using the on-board Intel RST controller, which required my storing the drivers on a thumb drive in order to install Windows initially.The problem I'm faced with is that this configuration also seems to preclude being...
  8. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive: So after someone told me I should make my SSD the new main thing to boot from as it makes everything faster, I listened and followed tutorials. I created the Installation Media on a USB, installed it onto the SSD which looks like it’s registered fine in the device manager and...
  9. Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install: Hi, I inherited a computer from a friend. It had Windows 10 on it but an older HDD and older components, maybe 2010-2012ish. As far as i can tell they work fine. The OS and HDD is just real sluggish. So I got a 1TB SSD and attempted to install it to be the boot drive. I...
  10. New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected: I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD) partitioned into two drives, C 150Gb and D about 85Gb. The other HD is a Seagate 2TB which is partitioned into 4 drives, E, 700Gb, F,...