Windows 10: Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings?

Discus and support Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been getting the Windows alert, "UEFI: The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported" for a while now and I think I'm ready to take care of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim McClain, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings?

I've been getting the Windows alert, "UEFI: The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported" for a while now and I think I'm ready to take care of that problem. I have purchased a new 500GB SSD and will use that to replace my current C: drive (also a 500GB SSD). However, it isn't just the many laborious hours of reinstalling all my programs, it's also that a few of them are old, but dear and frequently used and I don't have the disks for them anymore. If I lost those programs, I'd be hurtin' fer certain.

Is it possible for me to take some kind of backup or image of the entire C: drive, install the new drive with a clean Windows 10, then restore the backup and have access to all my programs the way it was before? What would be the step-by-step procedure for that?

I also have another SSD and a 5TB HDD installed on this system that has all my Library files, but C: is set up with all the program folders & files and the Users data.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Jim

:)

Jim McClain, Oct 21, 2018
  2. HLL_544 Win User

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Oct 21, 2018
  3. DieNand Win User
    Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:

I think I did more or less as in step 13. See disk management screenshot.

Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings? [​IMG]

DieNand, Oct 21, 2018
  4. Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings?

New SSD install advice/opinions

For me ive always done a clean install when putting os on ssd,s , but cloning may be just as good. I would check for firmware update before doing install too btw.

There are a few tweaks you can do once you have done install to shut down some services and regedits to optomise/save more space like 8.3 name creation and other stuff, go to ocz forum and search windows ssd tweaks to see a comprehensive list,and other sites. I use a little program by elpamsoft called-ssd tweaker- its free too,does it all for you.

mediasorcerer, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings?

1. Install new SSD for EUFI and still save all programs & settings? - Similar Threads - Install SSD EUFI

2. Installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  3. Installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  4. Switching a HDD to SSD without having to install and configure all programs/settings. Is it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching a HDD to SSD without having to install and configure all programs/settings. Is it...: Hello. This is for a work computer on a building I work at. What would be the easiest way to switch drives without having to install and setup everything from scratch? Since it is a work computer, there are a lot of things that need to be done for the user to be able to do...
  5. new install on new ssd,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new install on new ssd,: is there a way to delete just the windows files on my old ssd or am i going to have to format my old ssd to get rid of the old installation? submitted by /u/traveler9001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxhkz5/new_install_on_new_ssd/
  6. Unable to get set up with Insider Program on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to get set up with Insider Program on new SSD: I recently purchased a new larger SSD for my laptop. On my old one, I was using and receiving Windows Insider Builds. When I got my new SSD, I did a clean install of Windows so that I didn't bring over any unneeded junk from my old SSD. On my new SSD, when I first went to the...
  7. attempting to change the default disc for saving all new programs from C to D (SSD to HDD)

in Windows 10 Customization
    attempting to change the default disc for saving all new programs from C to D (SSD to HDD): I was attempting to change the default disc for saving all new programs from C to D (SSD to HDD), and after changing ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir from C to D and having no luck (none of the installed programs could be found), and reverting, attempted to change...
  8. Saving all icon settings as a template for further installs.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving all icon settings as a template for further installs.: Hello! I have quite a library of icons I like to use in replacement of those offered through the Win10 OS. I use them in File Explorer, On the desktop, on the start page, etc. As you can imagine, I have to start over (re-assign) every time a new Win10 edition is updated....
  9. Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:: So recently my Windows 10 install crashed so I had to do a clean install on my SSD. (C: Drive) Normally I install my programs on the HDD (D: Drive). I cleaned out all the old programs along with the reinstall of Windows 10 so both drives are now clean, but now any program...
  10. BIOS or EUFI for clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS or EUFI for clean install?: I did an upgrade in place from Win7 to Win10 on a PC. The PC is is showing some odd behavior so I'm considering doing a clean reinstall of Win10. The PC currently uses BIOS but the MB supports EUFI. If I do the clean reinstall should I switch from BIOS to EUFI? If I...