Windows 10: Install on brand new self-built computer, no 7 or 8 license

Discus and support Install on brand new self-built computer, no 7 or 8 license in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Can I install Preview version 10130 on a brand new computer I'm building myself, without any Win7 or 8 or 8.1 disk/license? If yes, will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChrisRR, Jun 26, 2015.

1. ChrisRR Win User

Install on brand new self-built computer, no 7 or 8 license

Hello,

Can I install Preview version 10130 on a brand new computer I'm building myself, without any Win7 or 8 or 8.1 disk/license?

If yes, will I have any license/activation problem when I replace the Preview with the purchased release Pro version (complete wipeout/format, clean install)? I've never done a UEFI install before, and I seem to remember reading that UEFI is used in the activation/licensing process...

I should also mention that I created a Windows Insider account that I used to download and test the Preview last fall on a XP computer which is now dead. If that has anything to do with the questions above, please let me know as well...

In advance, thanks.

:)

ChrisRR, Jun 26, 2015
  2. Heinyken Win User

Can I transfer the Windows 10 licence from current system to New System.

Original title: Brand New PC (new hard drive) -- do I need all new Windows 10?

I own Windows 10. I have a brand new, self-built PC -- fresh hard drive. I want to un-install Windows 10 from my current computer (A) and install Windows 10 on my new computer (B). Does my license allow me to scrap A's Win10 and put it on B? If so, how?

Heinyken, Jun 26, 2015
  3. windows 10 activation

I have built this pc mysellf and a year ago and i installed windows 8 and i upgraded to windows 10 today

victorangheloaia, Jun 26, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

As long as you are in the Windows Insiders program, then you do need a separate license. Even after the final release on July 29th, so long as you stay in the program you're fine.

When you buy the final version, then you can leave the program, and you will have to re-activate with the new valid key.

Mystere, Jun 26, 2015
  5. ChrisRR Win User
    Well, actually, it seems I can do it without a license (DailyTech - Windows XP, Vista Users Can Get Free Windows 10 Upgrade Thanks to Loophole
    ). After all, I installed Preview last fall on a computer that only had XP Pro on it, just by following the Insider instructions.

I just don't want to buy 8.1 for only a month then upgrade to 10 "in place" (if that's the correct expression). I want to do a completely clean install of Windows 10 Pro in early August, with purchased media in hand. In the meantime, I need the files on three internal SATA drives in the dead computer. I don't think I could successfully reinstall XP on the newly built computer (drivers etc.).

So the plan is: Preview for one month, then quit Insider program, wipe out Preview version/reformat, buy and clean-install official version. I have no idea what MS recoups between licenses, hardware, activation etc., but it all seems quite complicated and I'm just worried that doing it as described in the link above will mean trouble come official version activation time.

By the way, in that article, Brad Sams is completely wrong when he says "if a consumer is still using XP, the likelihood of them jumping to Windows 10 is small as they have remained entrenched with the decades old OS".

ChrisRR, Jun 26, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jun 26, 2015
  7. ChrisRR Win User
    So if you're quite positive my plan won't work, maybe I'll try to manage for a month with my laptop and a couple of SATA-to-USB adapters *Sad

Allow me to add that your last statement is a bit short on explanation *Wink, maybe you're too busy... Thanks anyway.

ChrisRR, Jun 26, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

What's there to explain? EVERYTHING he wrote there is wrong... Reading the comments is even more confusing.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install on brand new self-built computer, no 7 or 8 license - Similar Threads - Install brand self

2. Installing drivers on a home built brand new pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing drivers on a home built brand new pc: Hello, yesterday i built my first pc, and was able to install windows 10 onto it. this evening i booted it up in order to install drivers, however i could not connect to the internet.The pc has an ethernet connection, so i assume the reason is that i am yet to install a...
  3. Installing Windows to a Self Built blank computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows to a Self Built blank computer: My 12 yo son has built a gaming PC. I have purched windows 10 veey cheap - i hope its legit and have been given a key. we are nor sure how to get this on a computer with no operating system. We assume to download onto UBS and then install but are stuck. please advise....
  4. Self-built computer - installing problems with Windows?

Self-built computer - installing problems with Windows?: [ATTACH] My boyfriend built a computer... I don't know how to help him... so I'm just gonna check in here. He has already downloaded a few more drivers from the internet...but they seem to be incompatible...as it seems to me and he's been trying out old hard...
  5. Windows 10 install on brand new PC I built.

Windows 10 install on brand new PC I built.: Hello community, I just build my first gaming PC. I bought the Windows 10 usb flash drive new from best buy with key. I've researched some and most tutorials say to use the media creation tool to install Windows 10 onto PC. My question is if I already bought the Windows 10...
  6. Installing Windows 7 to new, built PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows 7 to new, built PC: I'm building a new PC and I was wondering if I can install my store bought Windows 7 (CD with couple more activation left) from years ago on to it. Will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 from there? submitted by /u/JiggaGoki [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 Install Error New Self Built PC

Windows 10 Install Error New Self Built PC: Hi all, I recently put together a new PC, specs are: MOBO: ASUS Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k 6-core 3.7GHz CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (2x 8GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG Strix PSU:...
  8. Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?

Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?: I have this old laptop that I bought with a retail version of windows 7 on it. Then I got the free upgrade to windows 10 home and it now has a retail version of windows 10 home on it. However, it does not have a product key in it, but instead it just says "Windows is...
  9. Brand new computer Brand New Updates

Brand new computer Brand New Updates: computer was bought friday by my wife it worked AWESOME!!! did some form of update sunday night while we were sleeping computer has not worked right since it randomly crashes with a new reason each time and this happened after a microsoft update and even the store the...
  10. How do I get a Digital License with a self built OEM install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I get a Digital License with a self built OEM install?: Hey everyone, I am a bit confused. Earlier this year I totally rebuilt two PCs with win 10 ( downloaded from Microsoft site where you had choice of ISO or bootable flash drive. I had two legitimate OEM keys too. Both display digital entitlement where I can put in a...