Windows 10: install on render farm

Discus and support install on render farm in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to install windows 10 on all of my workstations. Im building a render farm, and not really savoy in the field of IT. But, i need to get this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HarryChisenall, May 17, 2019.

1. install on render farm

I need to install windows 10 on all of my workstations. Im building a render farm, and not really savoy in the field of IT. But, i need to get this done correctly. Please help LOL!!

:)

HarryChisenall, May 17, 2019

2. Rendering Farm possibility for Inventor 2011 - Help please...

inventor 2011 should have a list of supported queue managers somewhere.

edit: also, a render farm of 2 computers is almost pointless.

Easy Rhino, May 17, 2019
  3. Render Farm

Render farms are fascinate me. I'm by no means an expert though. Far from it. Anyway.

Linux is more cost effective because you don't have any Windows licnses in your 2k budget. Each box needs a ~$100 license so with 4 machines, 20% of your budget is already gone for the software.

Now does your 2k budget include the host machine? Typical render farms are set up so you do work from one computer (like the actual editing) then send the work to the farm to be rendered.

But having a seperate host isn't really necessary. Lets say you bulid four boxes, one of them can just be the host. Hopefully Cinelerra can use the host machine to render when set to use multiple nodes.

Hardware wise, I think you need to get as much CPU power as possible. I think RAM capacity comes in a close second and hard drive throughput is third. I would priortize in that order. (all imo)

The Phenom X6 may actually be the right processor to use here. It's cheap and has a bunch of cores. Platform wise, AMD tends to also cheaper compared to Intel. I would go this route. 1055T. I would overclock it as far as it can comfortably go on stock voltage. Err on the conservative side though. Stability is paramount. (but milk stability for all it's worth!)

I'd get the stardard 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3. Speed is relatively unimportant. I'm not sure how much RAM each node needs. But 4GB seems like alot for doing just one task. Hopefully that should be enough or close to it. The cost of upgrading to 8GB may be worth looking into. Maybe not initially though because adding an additional 4GB to the machines will be a drop in solution.

The motherboard is a place to cheap out on. Not as in buying crap, but you don't need fancy motherboards. As far a requirements, they need to support the X6, 4GB of RAM and have gigabit ethernet. That's pretty much it. Maybe a cheap 785G motherboard? One of the most important things I would keep in mind when chosing is upgradability. The ability to just drop in RAM at a later date is good. So is the ability to support newer processors. That one is harder to judge, but it's something to look into. So in the future, you won't have to get a new CPU and motherboard for each node, you just drop a new CPU in.

Each node doesn't necessarily need local storage. But each node does need to boot an OS, so I guess the simplest solution would be to give each node some kind of hard drive. All the drive will be used for is to boot the OS. The host computer needs a decently fast storage array. How fast? I'm just not sure. The capacity of this array also depends on your needs. But a Raid 0+1 array of 1TB drives seems like a decent place to start.

As far as GPUs go, I would bother with it. Cinelerra's documentation is old. When it says it can use nVidia's cards to speed up rendering, it gives an example of a 7600GS. This is pre-CUDA. So I don't think Cinelerra uses GPUs for the actual rendering. Sounds like it uses the GPU to help with playback or something. But I'm seeing little evidence that Cinelerra supports CUDA or something similar.

Power is something to consider. The easiest solution is to use 1 PSU per node. Maybe a cheap PSU from a reliable brand.

Also an enclosure will probably be necessary. Honestly, I would just skip the enclosure and do something like this. (dammit can't find the link I'm looking for. Basically you take four really long (2-3ft) screws and you use nuts to stack the motherboards on top of each other. Makes a nice tower.) But if an enclosure is necessary, I would cheap out on these. Rackmount seems wayyy out of budget. Get some cheap mATX cases. You could save even more money by using a case that comes with a PSU. The built in PSU is crappy for sure, but budget is important and there's little risk of putting other components at risk. I would THINK that if one of these PSUs fails it won't destroy anything.

Everything I've said are my comments and opinions that I've developed from prior knowledge as well as a bit of reading through Cinelerra's documentation. Don't take what I say as final. They're all just suggestions. Hope this helps.

Interesting Links:

angelkiller, May 17, 2019
  4. adrianx Win User

install on render farm

Render farm....

hello to all

I want to build a render farm for 3dmax / maya / blender

so I have 3 pc in one location and 3 in 3 remote locations

I dont personally design and render any frame/image, I simple what to join to a group of design (for the IT position)

from that I dont receive any money but I will try to help this friends

the pc are with 2/4 core and one with 6 core

the video cards are some 5570 amd, 9600GT, and one hd 6870hd. Any pc have 4 GB ram, hdd and internet connexion

the idea is to build this render farm and learn how this distributive system work and how to improve that

so I'm open to any idea

adrianx, May 17, 2019
Thema:

install on render farm

1. install on render farm - Similar Threads - install render farm

2. render this picture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    render this picture: lock, kay and pin, persian pattern on it, gray, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/render-this-picture/43e6969b-e5ed-4cf2-895b-f08d32ff8755
  3. Render Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Render Crashes: When using Daz Studio and i goto render the engine crashes every time with this error:DAZStudio.exe caused UNKNOWN_ERROR in module "C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll" at 0033:0000000017C0051C, RaiseException+108 bytesAny ideas whats causing this....
  4. Farming Simulator 2019 Stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Farming Simulator 2019 Stuttering: I just redownloaded farming simulator 2019 and it's stuttering whenever I put in a key input like to move with the w, a, s, d then it stutters and frame drops. It runs perfectly fine when I don't put any input, How do I fix this? I also noticed when I click any button while...
  5. Farming Simulator 2019 Stuttering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Farming Simulator 2019 Stuttering: I just redownloaded farming simulator 2019 and it's stuttering whenever I put in a key input like to move with the w, a, s, d then it stutters and frame drops. It runs perfectly fine when I don't put any input, How do I fix this? I also noticed when I click any button while...
  6. Font rendering...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Font rendering...: Hey all. I spend the day working on my retina MacBook Pro after quite some time away working on Windows. My XPS has a 4k display and the fonts look horrendous. I mean, they are so thin and they truly disappear as they lack definition. I tried something called MacType which...
  7. Farming Simulator 2017

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Farming Simulator 2017: I bought FS 2017 some time ago and uploaded this to my computer I have a new pc and am trying to upload FS17 again. I can install FS17 from the disk - the moment that I try and enter the product code, it refuses to go to the next step. Instead, I am urged to buy FS 2017...
  8. Farming Simulator 17

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Farming Simulator 17: I want to reinstall FS 17 to a new computer. When I load the program on the pc, it asks me to buy the program. I will not recognise the key that was provided with the program * Moved from Community Participation Center...
  9. Vsphere farm Microsoft Licensing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Vsphere farm Microsoft Licensing: Hi, we have a Vsphere Farm 6.5 with 3 Host. Every Host has 16 core, so totally are 48 core. We have bought a Windows License for 48 core. If I install 5 VM on this farm, that need of 64 core totally, do I need to buy Licenses for these machines? My question is: if I buy...
  10. Farming Simulator 17!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Farming Simulator 17!: Hello all, I would like to start a discussion about the new Farming Simulator 17 that is expected to release this Autumn. Anyone got any information it? I think I covered most of it on here, if anyone has anymore information, please to reply! *Smile Here is my post...