Windows 10: Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020

Discus and support Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to install a .inf file, but the 'Install' option isn't there when I right-click the file. I have tried looking at previous forums and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cla_Tronix, May 28, 2020.

1. Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020

Hi. I am trying to install a .inf file, but the 'Install' option isn't there when I right-click the file. I have tried looking at previous forums and videos but none of them work. I am on Windows 10 and could really use some help. Thanks in advance.

:)

Cla_Tronix, May 28, 2020
  2. McQueen Win User

Does "Intel INF" ever really install anything?

I'm trying to find out if I have the latest chipset drivers. I'm more stubborn than skilled, I hope someone here knows more about how drivers work.

Take first, as a simpler and more straight-forward example of how I thought it always worked, the most common Realtek LAN driver. In the downloaded package, in the same folder as the .inf file (rt64win7.inf), there also is a .sys file (rt64win7.sys) which I assume is the driver, and there also are 2 DLL files (RtNicprop64.DLL and RTNUninst64.dll) and I can guess they are used for viewing properties and uninstall. If I look at my NIC in the Device Manager, under Drivers / More Info, these 3 are listed as the driver files. Also, if I look in rt64win7.inf, there are references to all 3 mentioned .sys and .dll files (e g under heading [SourceDisksFiles]). So it all makes sense.

There are 2 chipset drivers. The ME driver seems understandable. But when it comes to Intel INF installer, there are several things that to me look like they are never used:

The downloaded package consists of only .inf and .cat files, no related code (as in .sys or .dll files).
    If I run pnputil.exe -e, make a list of all oemXX.inf files that say "Intel", and open these in C:\Windows\Inf, then I can see the files from Intel that are actually being used, including the original file names (before Windows renamed them to oemXX.inf). And from that I can see that the .inf files in use never are the ones that came with the Intel Inf package (the used drivers I guess are something Microsoft found)
    If I compare all .inf files in the downloaded Intel INF package with all .inf files in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, only 3 are in common: cougcore.inf, cougsmb.inf and SNB2009.inf. But in these, there are no references to any .sys or .dll file, and under the heading [SourceDisksFiles] it is just blank.
    Looking closer at what driver is used for the SM Bus: In Device Manager I see that it uses intelsmb.sys (and intelsmb.inf, via Info / INF name), and that the device's ID is 1C22. I think the Intel INF installer is supposed to match that ID to what devices the .inf files list that they support. Now, with the Intel INF package there came a newer driver for the SM Bus, cougsmb.inf. Both cougsmb.inf and intelsmb.inf are in the FileRepository directory, so it looks like the system has tried to install them at some point. And in both these .inf files, 1C22 is listed under "supported devices". The cougsmb.inf is newer, and it is specifically for Cougar Point chipsets, which is what is on the H67 chipset boards like mine. Still the system uses intelsmb.inf.

So it looks like my system uses old chipset drivers (probably whatever Microsoft found at the original install), and that the files that should install new drivers are empty.

Am I missing something?

PS Running Win7 64bit with i3-2100 and H67 chipset.

McQueen, May 28, 2020
  3. Catalyst install fails!

If erocker's suggestions didn't work then the .inf file is missing or corrupted. You should contact the manufacturer for a new one.

spearman914, May 28, 2020
  4. Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020

How to modify inf files?

How to modify inf files can some on explain how its done or better yet who ever has the knowledge please modify the inf for the latest 301.34-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english this come out with the GTX690, then let me know how to use it/install

Protagonist, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020

1. Install Option Missing From .INF Files 2020 - Similar Threads - Install Option Missing

2. "Extract All" option missing from File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Extract All" option missing from File Explorer.: Hi Folks,"Extract All" disappeared after I downloaded some software and was "Messed With".I searched for a long time and found nothing that resolved my situation.I figured it was a Registry issue, but didn't know what.My solution was to open up another computer and delve into...
  3. "Extract All" option missing from File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Extract All" option missing from File Explorer.: Hi Folks,"Extract All" disappeared after I downloaded some software and was "Messed With".I searched for a long time and found nothing that resolved my situation.I figured it was a Registry issue, but didn't know what.My solution was to open up another computer and delve into...
  4. "Extract All" option missing from File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Touchpad or mouse INF file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad or mouse INF file: Hello,I'm trying to make a WinPE-based bootable media but find that touchpad or mouse no longer works with it. I think I need to insert the right INF file into it but am having difficulty finding the INF file. I tried "msmouse.inf" but it didn't work and is also quite...
  6. inf file access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    inf file access: WIN 10 home 64 I have an .inf file in windows/sys32/driverstore/.... can't get access to update a couple of lines to enable driver recognition on my DAW console I have installed a file unlock app, still can't get sys access what are my options?...
  7. inf file not found error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    inf file not found error: When i install the amd software it shows inf file not found and stops win10 pro AMD R5 M230 Pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inf-file-not-found-error/8139e499-d773-468d-8719-669652e73e73
  8. AMD chipset driver installation error (Missing Inf file)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD chipset driver installation error (Missing Inf file): Hi guys trying to update my AMD drivers and im getting these 2 errors shown in the screenshot. What's going on? I should mention im running a 3700x on a x470 motherboard, an asus prime pro x470 with an NVIDIA GTX 1070 I installed their chipset driers but it seems to have come...
  9. Options missing from file context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Options missing from file context menu.: when I go to file explorer and open a file and I want to cope or deleted it I right click on the file and and window open up and I cant see the words to fine cope or deleted. How do I change it so I can see the words when I right click. ***Title changed from: [missing...
  10. Options missing from file contect menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Options missing from file contect menu.: when I go to file explorer and open a file and I want to cope or deleted it I right click on the file and and window open up and I cant see the words to fine cope or deleted. How do I change it so I can see the words when I right click. ***Title changed from: [missing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. missing inf and/or cat file