Windows 10: install second hard drive hot?

Discus and support install second hard drive hot? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, I was under the impression that I was going to have a hard drive failure and purchased a new hard drive and cloned windows to it. it turned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sven1458, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Sven1458 Win User

install second hard drive hot?

Hi All,
    I was under the impression that I was going to have a hard drive failure and purchased a new hard drive and cloned windows to it. it turned out my drive is fine, so I would like to use the drive as a second drive in my system.
    if I just plug it in, will my computer boot from the now C: drive or will it boot from the second drive, since it is a bootable drive?
    Or can I plug it in after it booted up?
    it is installed and the power is connected, but the data cable is not.
    I gave my C: drive a name so I can find it in file manager and don't format the wrong drive when I plug in the second drive.

Thanks
    Sven

:)

Sven1458, Jan 7, 2016

2. second hard drive

My question is, why on the same laptop with the same mother board Linux recognize the HDD and Windows doesn't?, if the issue is on the motherboard then neither of the partitions shall detect the drive.

AlvaroIzaguirre Serrano, Jan 7, 2016
  3. second hard drive

The HDD is actually working ok, if I connect the caddy in a USB port the HDD works. Besides, I have a partition running Linux this partition detects and use the second HDD only Windows fails. Also, I connect a different HDD and I have the same issue, then
    is not a HW issue, the problem is in Windows.

AlvaroIzaguirre, Jan 7, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Hi,
    For convenience, plug the new drive data cable into port 1 (priority) and the other drive into other port i.e. port 2 ( assuming SATA drives). You need to access BIOS and change the drive priority and put the new drive on top of the list. It'll boot the first one. For example:

install second hard drive hot? [​IMG]

Private, Jan 7, 2016
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    Hi Private,
    I don't recall seeing this in my BIOS, but I will look again.
    there must be a way to set the boot priority in my system.
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Jan 7, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    The first splash screen usually tells you which function key will get you to the boot priority.

7. Sven1458 Win User
    whs,

Thanks, I forgot about that, because I usually turn it on and walk away to do other stuff.

This time I watch it boot.
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. install second hard drive hot? - Similar Threads - install second hard

2. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  3. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  4. Install windows 10 on second hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 on second hard drive: If I have a digital key on my hard drive will it let me install windows 10 to my second hard drive or back-up hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-on-second-hard-drive/6197a02d-9e44-4af8-8d96-182cd7803e86
  5. Second Hard Drive Not Showing

Second Hard Drive Not Showing: Hello, My computer stopped updating about a year ago, and I knew eventually that it would crash upon itself. Today was that day, and I had to reinstall windows through a USB drive. Now everything works fine. However, I noticed that the second hard drive 1TB does not...
  6. Installing second hard drive without formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing second hard drive without formatting: First of all do not try this unless you are willing to loose all your data PERIOD!. Purchase a 2TB or 4TB external HDD USB 3.0 and back all your stuff up. I have an 8 year old laptop. When it was new Dell site had 14+ drivers for this system available for download. I...
  7. Second hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second hard drive not recognized: Hi, I bought an additional used 2.5" HDD (1TB Toshiba MQ02ABF100) for my desktop which has an ASUS Motherboard ROG Strix B350-I Gaming. Since I already had an external 2.5" drive (512gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT) in a USB caddy, before installing the 1TB in my desktop, I...
  8. Add a Second Hard Drive

Add a Second Hard Drive: I have an Acer AME600-UR378 Desktop computer that has the facility to add a SATA hard drive in a bay located in the front panel. I have installed a Toshiba SATA MG03ACA200 2TB drive in that bay. It does not show up in my device manager or in Windows Explorer. What steps...
  9. Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive: Hi I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10 Desktop computer. Since I had recently just bought a WD 1TB Black Hard Drive I wanted to fit this inside. Although there...
  10. Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?

Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?: Hi, My Flash Drive's missing so I've thought about this idea. I have a spare HDD that I connect to an external (which emulates a flash drive. Every time I remove the HDD from it I make sure it is removed safely from my PC just like we do with a flash drive). I am...