Windows 10: Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning

Discus and support Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been replacing the HDD with SSD on machines with only a single HDD Drive so DATA to USB cable is required. For a desktop with several HDD drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning

I have been replacing the HDD with SSD on machines with only a single HDD Drive so DATA to USB cable is required.
    For a desktop with several HDD drives in addition to the Boot drive , I should be able to connect the target SSD directly to an open SATA slot in the Mobo and dispense with the SATA/USB cable ? Maybe I should disconnect the other drives for safety and leave only the boot drive and the SSD ? Any advise.

:)

sportflyer, Sep 29, 2018
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-notebook-portable,1913-3.html

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Sep 29, 2018
  3. Boot Problem after SSD Clone on windows 10

I just installed a Sandisk SSD Plus to replace HDD in a budget Acer Aspire desktop. Using the cloning software download Sandisk provides, Acronis, my system would not boot.

After some research I downloaded the free version of Aomei Backupper and 'recloned' the SSD following the instructions. Shutdown the computer, connected the SSD to the SATA cable the HDD was connected to - no issue boot up.

You may want to repeat the clone process with different software.

Advice from a non-professional, semi-serious hobbyist.

Libertarian Believer, Sep 29, 2018
  4. JRJ52 Win User

Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning

Windows 10 download/installation onto a Samsung SSD problem.

Thank you Vanessa for your reply.

The SSD was loaded with an image cloned from the original HDD using the supplied Samsung software, and then replaced the HDD in SATA slot 0. The HDD was then placed in SATA slot 1 and reformatted for use as a back-up drive. However the Samsung software although
    claiming to clone the first two volumes only cloned the Windows 8.1 C: volume from the original HDD. It did not clone the System Reserved volume D: which remains on the HDD which is now in SATA slot 1. So presumably this is why the precursor operations to
    the Windows 10 download cannot find it.

I therefore wish to upgrade the Windows 8.1 which is on the Samsung SSD to Window 10.

Incidentally I have a Lenovo laptop which was using Windows 7, and which upgraded to Windows 10 with no problem.

JRJ52, Sep 29, 2018
Thema:

Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning

1. Install ssd directly into open SATA slot on desktop for cloning - Similar Threads - Install ssd directly

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BSOD after cloned 250GB SSD to 500GB SSD (both SATA)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD after cloned 250GB SSD to 500GB SSD (both SATA): I used Macrium Reflect to do the clone. 250GB Samsung 850EVO to 500GB Samsung 860EVO, both drives are SATA. Computer worked fine for about 24 hours, then I started getting BSOD's, I don't have a screenshot, but it said "critical error" or something like that. Finally, the...
  6. SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties: Hey All, (this thread has been raised on HP forums under: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...m/td-p/7340240 I also raised separate thread here: Windows 10 restarts to black screen after SSD clone) I decided to move off SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to NVMe SSA (SAMSUNG...
  7. Cannot boot from SSD through SATA slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from SSD through SATA slot: I have been using my Fujitsu LH772 for years. It came with a HDD and I want to switch to SSD recently. So I bought a Kingston SA400 480GB. I cannot install a clean windows 10 by a bootable usb. Since it has only one SATA slot, I pull the original HDD out and insert the new...
  8. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  9. Cloning 250 ssd to 500 ssd on desktop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning 250 ssd to 500 ssd on desktop: As the title say's Is there anything I should look out for, any problems that might rear their ugly heads. My windows 10 runs fine, I don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak. 117025
  10. Cloning 250 ssd to 500 ssd on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning 250 ssd to 500 ssd on desktop: As the title say's Is there anything I should look out for, any problems that might rear their ugly heads. My windows 10 runs fine, I don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak. 117025