Windows 10: Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002

Discus and support Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Please support to me about error code 0x80004002 when I install Ubuntu after enable feature Windows Subsystem Linux... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ntgiangictu, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002

Hello,

Please support to me about error code 0x80004002 when I install Ubuntu after enable feature Windows Subsystem Linux

:)

ntgiangictu, Sep 12, 2018
  2. zithe Win User

Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

Did you burn the image on the slowest setting possible? Pop your disc in and try checking the disc for errors (booting from the disc). If it has an error on it then you have a bad install.

I just googled your motherboard and ubuntu... This thread is on the list. XD

If it's a bad install I'd suggest a different version of Ubuntu or to try Fedora instead. I had nothing but trouble with 8.04.

Also, try your connections. Sounds stupid but maybe the CD sent it and the hard drive couldn't get it or some weird thing like that. (Talking out my rear end now, but it's worth a shot)

Sorry I couldn't help more. *Frown Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002 :(

zithe, Sep 12, 2018
  3. dadi_oh Win User
    Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

I have a spare machine that I put together with parts I had laying around to try out Linux. Here are the parts:

ASUS P5K-SE P35 based mobo
    E1200 CPU (Celeron C2D with measly 512K cache *Smile Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002 :)
    512MB DDR2 667MHz
    EVGA 7900GT video card
    Maxtor 80GB PATA drive
    Antec 450W power supply

Basic stuff but from what I understand Linux is not as demanding on HW as Windows.

So I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu 64 bit from their site version 8.04 as an ISO file (ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso), made up an installation CD, and booted up into the install program. The install program detects the hard drive and I tell it to use the whole partition for Linux since I have no plans for dual boot. It makes it's way through the whole installation and then asks to reboot.

Once the machine posts it tries to boot from the hard drive and gets the following message

GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    GRUB Loading, please wait...
    Error 2

From doing a little searching it seems likely that the issue is with accessing the PATA drive. One of the poroposed solutions was to change the UDMA access mode in BIOS to something the drive does not support, thus forcing GRUB to read the drive and pick a mode that it does support. The problem is, this motherboard is really designed for SATA drives and the IDE (PATA) interface does not have the typical settings I am used to in the BIOS. Basically I can go to "integrated devices" memory and enable or disable the controller but nothing about changing interface details.

One of the other suggestions was to use LILO (sp?) rather than GRUB but I am not sure how to do that from the installation. The installation seems to be designed for new users.

It seems rather weird that it detects the drive well enough to install the whole operating system and then fails to boot from it... Not a good start to my Linux experience :shadedshu

Any suggestions?

dadi_oh, Sep 12, 2018
  4. Blearn Win User

Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002

Windows Subsystem for Linux - Installed Distributions Missing

Device type: Laptop

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad W530

Verison: 1803 Build 17134.48

After the 1803 Spring Creators Update was applied on my machine, my Ubuntu 16.04 app no longer worked. It produced the error message:

"Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

Distributions can be installed by visiting the Microsoft Store:

https://aka.ms/wslstore"

I learned this was because my Ubuntu 16.04 install was no longer the default distribution. Using the wslconfig program, I was able to list all distributions and see my Ubuntu install. I set it back to the default and running 'wsl' would work as expected.

However starting today, running the 'wsl' command produces the same error as before. Now there are *no* distributions when I list my installed distributions using 'wslconfig /l'. It seems like my Ubuntu install gone completely now.

1) Are there any other ways of checking if the files within my Ubuntu install are still on my device?

2) Why would a distribution silently be removed, is it an error or the result of some policy(eg. since Ubuntu 18.04 was released)?

Blearn, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002

1. Install Ubuntu in Windows Subsystem Linux got error Installation Failed! and Error: 0x80004002 - Similar Threads - Install Ubuntu Subsystem

2. Error 0x80004002 on app install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80004002 on app install: I run Windows 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. I had trouble with an app DropBox, so I uninstalled Dropbox, downloaded the installer, and ran it. The installation failed with an "0x80004002" error code. Everything I found online assumes it's a problem with Windows software, which...
  3. Error 0x80004002 on app install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x80004002 on app install: I run Windows 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. I had trouble with an app DropBox, so I uninstalled Dropbox, downloaded the installer, and ran it. The installation failed with an "0x80004002" error code. Everything I found online assumes it's a problem with Windows software, which...
  4. Error 0x80004002 on app install

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.93.2 install error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.93.2 install error: windows update reports update installation failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-update-510932-install/3e252d9f-c708-4d66-b343-5c65160e0c9b
  6. Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.93.2 install error

Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.93.2 install error: windows update reports update installation failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-update-510932-install/3e252d9f-c708-4d66-b343-5c65160e0c9b
  7. Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1 Install error - 0x80070643

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1 Install error - 0x80070643: Hi,I just upgrade to Windows 11 a few days ago. But after I do Windows Update, I found one update that can't be installed which is "Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1" and the error is "Install error - 0x80070643" as I do a screen capture below.Do you have any way...
  8. Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1 Install error - 0x80070643

Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1 Install error - 0x80070643: Hi,I just upgrade to Windows 11 a few days ago. But after I do Windows Update, I found one update that can't be installed which is "Windows Subsystem for Linux Update - 5.10.60.1" and the error is "Install error - 0x80070643" as I do a screen capture below.Do you have any way...
  9. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10

Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10: I am installing a bash Linux distros (WSL) to a Lab of 100 pcs with windows 10. I have already installed the first 2 components:-Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) in the Windows Features and activated the Developer modeAt that point i should type “Bash” at the command...
  10. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10: I am installing a bash Linux distros (WSL) to a Lab of 100 pcs with windows 10. I have already installed the first 2 components:-Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) in the Windows Features and activated the Developer modeAt that point i should type “Bash” at the command...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error 0x80004002 windows 10 ubuntu