Windows 10: Install W10 on SSD via USB to use in different comp. later via SATA?

Discus and support Install W10 on SSD via USB to use in different comp. later via SATA? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I read there are a few tools available that allows install a Windows To Go version onto a USB drive. Is there a way install "normal" version on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vanowm, Jan 9, 2020.

1. vanowm Win User

Install W10 on SSD via USB to use in different comp. later via SATA?

Hello.
    I read there are a few tools available that allows install a Windows To Go version onto a USB drive.
    Is there a way install "normal" version on a SSD connected via USB adapter, which later can be used as primary OS in different computer permanently connected via SATA?

Thank you.

:)

vanowm, Jan 9, 2020
  2. rhughes Win User

Install Windows 10 on SATA SSD

My SSD isn't getting recognized by the Windows 10 installer.

I'm installing from a USB using the official installation creator.

Here are the steps I've already taken:

1) Used DISKPART to clean and create a NTFS partition on the drive. It is listed when using SHIFT+F10 -> LIST DISK. The partition has been set to ACTIVE.

2) Downloaded a load of drivers from the motherboard's website and browsed and tried those when asked. After I click the next button is just says no drivers were found, and the cycle continues.

3) Tried various USB ports for the installer.

4) Set the SSD to both SATA and IDE modes in the BIOS.

My motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0.

As I try other methods I think of/try I'll update this question.

rhughes, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Are installed Windows interchangeable between SATA, USB, and NVMe?

Windows can be installed via SATA on HDD or SSD, via USB on HDD, SSD, or USB flash drive, or via NVMe on SSD. But are these installations interchangeable? For example, can Windows be installed via SATA and then used via USB? Activation might be the hiccup.

I'm asking about Windows 10, but I would like to know the answer for 7 and 8.1. Assume the installation involves a valid activation code.

nobody-important, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Aitch Win User

clean install W10 on SSD designated drive B

Ha! Thanks for the reply bulldog. I'm actually an old-old timer. Started out on a Sequent? over 30 years ago using SuperCalc for an undergrad business course. I've learned a ton and built many PCs but still feel clueless given the rate of change. I
    just thought that perhaps those anachronistic drive letter assignments had gone by the wayside. Guess not.

I finally figured out the process for me was:

1)disconnect the old boot SSD with W7 from the SATA cable,

2)hook up the new blank SSD to same,

3)then put the W10 install flash drive in the USB port,

4)then go into the BIOS setup to enable boot from USB port

5)finally install W10 from the W10 install flash drive (vaguely called installation media) to new SSD

Now I'll need to figure out dual boot of W10 or W7.

Aitch, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Install W10 on SSD via USB to use in different comp. later via SATA? - Similar Threads - Install W10 SSD

2. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  3. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  4. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Windows 10 on an SSD via USB to SATA adapter

Installing Windows 10 on an SSD via USB to SATA adapter: I have a laptop that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. The laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive, unfortunately. What I want to do is use my desktop PC as the "host" and install the new Windows 10 Pro software to the SSD drive via a USB to SATA connector. My desktop recognizes...
  6. Windows Install via USB

Windows Install via USB: I want to reinstall Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion 15-cs3153cl with a USB Drive because I want to get rid of some bloatware and other things, but I'm not sure if my drivers will be reinstalled or if they wont. As a sidenote, I would also like to know how risky an install like...
  7. SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10

SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10: Hello, I did solve the problem, and I am posting because I saw many forums with the same issue and nobody was telling the correct way to solve it. Background: The computer is a laptop, the original HD is inside the laptop and it is a 2.5", normal laptop SATA connector...
  8. Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?: I've just bought myself a new WD HDD, plugged it in, formatted it and given it a new drive number - all running well. I now want to copy everything from my old (smaller) HDD, so i've plugged it in to an old USB to SATA II/IDE, the computer installed the driver and the disk...
  9. Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning SSD via External USB Drive: I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port. Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone...
  10. Securely wipe/erase SATA SSD hardrives via USB. How? Free app?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Securely wipe/erase SATA SSD hardrives via USB. How? Free app?: I thought Crucial's Storage Executive had the ability to do a PSID Revert , which effectively is a secure erase , not sure if it works with your particular Drive though? try the Crucial Forums , there has been a number of posts there over the last few years on the PSID...