Windows 10: Install.wim file/folder in recovery drive

Discus and support Install.wim file/folder in recovery drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Laptop is 5 years old & was bought with Win 8.1. Am currently running Windows 10 1909 & all is OK. Can I remove or delete the install.wim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caimbeul, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Caimbeul Win User

Install.wim file/folder in recovery drive

My Laptop is 5 years old & was bought with Win 8.1. Am currently running Windows 10 1909 & all is OK. Can I remove or delete the install.wim file/folder dated 2014 (ie pre windows 10) in the recovery drive without harming windows 10 ?

:)

Caimbeul, Nov 13, 2019
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Nov 13, 2019
  3. difference between windows installiation media and windows recovery drive

As the name suggests,

• WIM or installation media is used to install Windows on to the computer.whereas
    • Recovery drive is created to repair your computer in case if it wont start or throw any startup error.

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 13, 2019
  4. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Install.wim file/folder in recovery drive - Similar Threads - Install wim file

2. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder: Hello everyone,I guess there is already a thread regarding this problem, but I wasn't able to find it. For a school project, I have to make a working WDS service on my Windows Server 2019 VM. For this to work, I have to acquire an image in the .wim format.The workstation is...
  3. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder: Hello everyone,I guess there is already a thread regarding this problem, but I wasn't able to find it. For a school project, I have to make a working WDS service on my Windows Server 2019 VM. For this to work, I have to acquire an image in the .wim format.The workstation is...
  4. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. FILES AND FOLDER RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILES AND FOLDER RECOVERY: How do I use Windows File recovery to recover files and folders deleted on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-and-folder-recovery/0ad07d59-a3cd-4940-a529-023c7ee19379
  6. FILES AND FOLDER RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FILES AND FOLDER RECOVERY: How do I use Windows File recovery to recover files and folders deleted on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-and-folder-recovery/0ad07d59-a3cd-4940-a529-023c7ee19379
  7. FILES AND FOLDER RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Recovery of files in One Drive folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery of files in One Drive folder.: I removed the hard drive from a HP laptop with a bad motherboard, intending to plug it into a USB drive dock attached to a laptop to copy the files to a USB flash drive. When the drive was attached to a PC running Windows 10 I could see and copy hundreds of files under the...
  9. Open in WIM files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  10. Recovery Drive or Installation Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive or Installation Drive?: I'm working on an Dell AIO that I cannot force into Recovery Mode, and have always used Installation Disks to boot into Repair Console or to get into Advanced Options etc. I'm guessing that the Recovery Drive is a little Safer to do this with? Thanks, 104942

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do i need the wim fil for a recovery disk