Windows 10: install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

Discus and support install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I finally got WSIM and sysprep to work and have a good ISO of a modified Windows 10 Pro X64 system. It installs on a Oracle VM since it can load... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Ztruker Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

I finally got WSIM and sysprep to work and have a good ISO of a modified Windows 10 Pro X64 system. It installs on a Oracle VM since it can load directly from the ISO.

Now I need to create a bootbale USB flash drive that will work on a BIOS/MBR system. As I said in the title, the install.wim is 7GB so won't go on a FAT32 formatted flash drive so I need to use NTFS.

I've seen comments from several of you about doing this but since I wasn't interested didn't record the info. I need it now so I'm hoping you can give me direction on how to do this.

:)

Ztruker, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Aug 4, 2019
  3. Chewy Win User
    Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Aug 4, 2019
  4. install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

1. install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive - Similar Threads - install wim 7GB

2. Bootable flash drive, how?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable flash drive, how?!: I have absolutely no idea on how to make a bootable USB flash drive, I've tried for 2 hours and got no where, someone please help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootable-flash-drive-how/649718ea-7904-4156-bed1-0b1eb73177f9
  3. Bootable flash drive, how?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable flash drive, how?!: I have absolutely no idea on how to make a bootable USB flash drive, I've tried for 2 hours and got no where, someone please help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootable-flash-drive-how/649718ea-7904-4156-bed1-0b1eb73177f9
  4. Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?: Hi, my USB drive is 59GB and I can't make it bootable with Rufus. The drive is a GPT style and I can't change it to MBR or it won't boot. I also can't use active command since it is a GPT disk. How do I make it bootable?...
  5. How to Make USB flash drive bootable with Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to Make USB flash drive bootable with Win 10: I have purchased some Win 10 licenses, and I tried to use the first one for a 32-bit Win 10 Pro and boot from a USB flash drive. As I use the MediaCreationTool20H2 and chose “Create installation media USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file for another PC” option, the program did...
  6. How to make a bootable USB ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make a bootable USB ?: Please tell me how to make a bootable USB in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-a-bootable-usb/6aaa7f8c-9191-4161-ac8a-777788cc8dd4
  7. How to make a bootable flash drive that boots to a custom menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a bootable flash drive that boots to a custom menu: I have a Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 USB flash drive that I would like to make bootable. I would like to be able to insert it in a USB port on computers running Windows 10 and boot to a menu on the flash drive that I can customize. Can someone help me do this? 167298
  8. 12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer)

12GB WIM File (Making it into a bootable USB Installer): Hello everyone, I'm trying to automate a Windows 10 installation with my customized WIM image. From the tutorials I've read, the best practice is to split the DMG (which doesn't do the windows setup screen for automation using autounattend.xml) or creating two partitions...
  9. Unable to make bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus 3.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to make bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus 3.1: I don't know why but I am unable to make a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus 3.1. I remember doing it successfully a few years back but now I can't. I've watched several tutorial videos on YouTube, but still, it will not work. When I insert the flash drive into my PC or...
  10. Make USB Flash Drive

Make USB Flash Drive: I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?: 8461