Windows 10: Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

Discus and support Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have been testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with Windows 7 for the last couple of months. My Windows 7 boot drive is a 960 Evo 1TB.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

Hi,

I have been testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with Windows 7 for the last couple of months. My Windows 7 boot drive is a 960 Evo 1TB. My Windows 10 boot drive was a 750 Evo 250GB.

I just removed the 750 and upgraded it to a 960 Evo 250GB, so my ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Professional I7 now has 2 NVMe SSDs... 960 EVO 1TB (win7), and the new 960 EVO 250GB (win10).

Several attempts to install windows 10 have all failed with the 0x0000000e error, saying a device needed was not connected and PC needed to be repaired blah ... blah ... blah..

I found a few threads here discussing the error, but none with two NVMe SSDs.

Googling the error suggested I try the bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot and bcdedit /rebuildbcd solution but that did not work. Whilst I got past the error at the time, the next boot failed with the same error code.

I removed the 960 Evo 250GB and put the 750 250GB back and did a clean install and it worked fine. It's only when I have the two NVMe drives installed this is a problem. Both drives are M.2 of course.

I believe Windows 10 supports NVMe out of the box and it certainly detects all drives and goes through the initial install stages without issue.

Any ideas?

thanks

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 7, 2017
  2. EIVTA Win User

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10.

<Original title: Catch 22 on Windows 10?>

I tried the ordinary upgrade from Win 8.1 on my Samsung sm951 NVMe. Fail, fail, fail. Uninstall drivers for all hardware, still fail, fail, fail.

I cannot install Windows 8 fresh on my disk either as installation media does not see my drive. So i cannot upgrade, and I cannot do a fresh install of Win10 as it will not activate that way.... Wow! really simple, Microsoft!

What should I do ? If I install Win8 fresh on a sata ssd, upgrade and then install win10 fresh on my sm951 the activation will not work.

So what's your plan Microsoft ? Supposed to be native NVMe support in Win8 ?! So why can't I reinstall Win8 on the drive when I'm already running Win 8.1 now ?

EIVTA, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Jalal_64 Win User
    cumulative update for win 10 version 1511 for X64 based system KB3135173 fail to install and error code 0X8024001e

I am having problem to update win 10 pro X 64 OS in my notebook,the cumulative update for win 10 version 1511 for X64 based system KB3135173 fails to install and error code 0X8024001e . I dont have installed any antivirus.The following updates along with
    above also fails to install:

1. window defender kb 2267602 with error0X8007045b

2. security update for flash player kb3135782 Error 0X8007045b and

3. Malacious software removal tool kb890830 error 0X8007045b

I have just upgraded with win 10 DVD and still this update fails to install. I downloaded media cration Tool and try to upgrate but its fullday about 8 hrs shows upgrading and show 0%,that is why I prefer to install through DVD and update fails, kindly help.

Jalal_64, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

More info: This problem appears to be related to the Ethernet ports. If I disable both ports in the BIOS PC will boot 100% of the time. If I disabled one or the other, or leave both enabled the PC will fail a boot every 2nd or 3rd time.

So I have to disable NICs in BIOS, boot into Windows 10, restart, enable the NICs and boot. Then I can use system for another 2 or 3 reboots then it will BSOD with 0x0000000e again.

I've reported the issue to ASRock, who I have little faith in as they've never been able to resolve any issues for me, assuming they even respond to the ticket. Many of the support requests seem to fall into a black hole.

I thought about reporting the issue to Samsung, but except for my Seagate ST2000VN001 all other drives are Samsung, and with the SATA EVO drive there is no problem, and the 1TB NVMe drive has been working for almost 6 months, so it doesn't appear to be an NVMe issue.

Iv'e also checked to make sure there are no drives on the SATA ports that the M.2 slots share resources with.

I've repeated the install and tests over a dozen times now and it is definitely related to the NICs

The issue is the same with the default drivers installed by Windows and and the latest Intel drivers from the ASRock website.

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 8, 2017
  5. Unkn0wn Win User
    Unkn0wn, Jun 8, 2017
  6. That's an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, one of the first things I do when I install Windows is to disable hibernate (Powercfg -h off). When hibernate is disabled, Fast start is also disabled, as you can see on the attached image.

I checked the event logs. There are no messages in any of the logs between the shutdown and the BSOD on the next startup. The BSOD occurs immediately after the POST.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help at all. If there is anything else I can post, please ask.

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 8, 2017
  7. Unkn0wn Win User
    Hmm, Have you tried to install the 2nd OS while the Network Card is not Installed? say disabled, and after the installation just enable it and install it on both.

That said Uninstall the Network Card on the first OS that boots correctly and as well as after uninstalling instantly Disable it through device manager, so after restart it wont try to reinstall it.

Then install the second OS lets say thats Win7 and install the driver there, if it still fails after a few restarts try the opposite.(Make sure you have the Driver software before uninstallation because it might be a case that the official driver that microsoft provides causes the issue that both of them conflict)

Another option would be to check when Installing either of the Network Cards if there are any issues that one of them might not be supported by the Operating Systems.

Unkn0wn, Jun 8, 2017
  8. Unkn0wn Win User

Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

Also a shot of the actual BSOD and a list of the current NICs installed versions would be helpful.
    Find the BSOD Dump at: (C://Windows)
    "%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP"
    And upload that file of the most recent crash if there is none make sure to have dumping enabled
    Here is how to do it:

1st Access Control Panel
    2nd System and Security
    3rd Advanced System Settings left tab
    4th Startup and Recovery --> Settings
    5th Write Debugging information Either Complete or Automatic.
    Dont forget to save and try to reproduce the BSOD.

Once reproduced follow the steps from the beggining to upload the MEMORY.DMP file.

Unkn0wn, Jun 8, 2017
  9. The "network cards" are motherboard resources. I-218 and I-211

If I try an install with the NICs enabled, it will fail on the first reboot, so I have gotten into the practice of always disabling the NICs in the BIOS before starting the install.

Windows 7 is the first installed OS. I can't "reinstall" Windows 7 because my key has run out of activation's. So I have to restore from an image. But what I can do is remove the M.2 drive that contains Windows 7, and see if the error persists; that will achieve the same thing you have suggested. (First I will just do a couple of reboots, then I will reinstall Win 10 from scratch and test).

The error persists with the Microsoft default NIC drivers, and the Intel drivers.

When Windows 10 was on the SATA drive there were no issues; I have been running W10 for months on the SATA drive.

I'll get the pic of the BSOD, the driver details, and the dump file to you. Might take me up to 24 hours.

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 9, 2017
  10. Here are the pics...
    I cannot get a memory dump. I've tried all the dump options but nothing is generated.

I found a later version of the drivers on the Intel website (20.3 vs 20.2). I'll give those a try.

After that I'll try with Windows 7 removed.

11. I believe I may have a solution.

The drivers offered by ASRock are dated 6/20/2016 but are actually 6/25/2015. Quite misleading.

The two year old drivers are also listed by ASRock as the latest drivers for this mobo.

After installing v22.3 4/27/2017 I did some more tests with Fast Boot Enabled and disabled. Provided I leave fast boot disabled, and use the latest stable v1.40 BIOS I can get the system to boot reliably.

If I enable fast boot, or upgrade the BIOS to 1.52b (with fast boot enabled or disabled), the BSOD will occur.

I've tried booting in various combinations Win7/10/10/10/7/10 etc... disabled and re-enabled NICs in BIOS, disabled/re-enabled in Windows, enabled one then the other and so far I've managed to get the system to boot continuously.

I'll cautiously call this solved, but will confirm tomorrow if I get no more problems.

12. Unkn0wn Win User
    Great good to hear that it might be solved, most of the time drivers are the cause of installation errors even though the official website states that it's the latest, it's better to check the vendor of the part just like you did.

Unkn0wn, Jun 9, 2017
  13. Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

This is now resolved. System is now fully installed and stable.
    I've done more research - This appears to be related to the way Windows 10 (Specifically winload.efi), processes device initialization.
    I have to have fast boot off all the time now, but that's not a big deal.

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 11, 2017
  14. Unkn0wn Win User
    Great, good to hear it is resolved maybe later on when you get your new BIOS update from the manufacturer everything will run smoothly even with Fast Boot enabled

Unkn0wn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e

1. Install Win 10 CU as 2nd OS on system with 2 x NVMe fails 0x0000000e - Similar Threads - Install 2nd system

2. Migrate OS to M.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate OS to M.2 nvme: I am interested in migrating Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop to M.2 nvme to increase boot speeds. The migration seems straight forward but my question involves the software already installed on the current C drive. Will I have to uninstall the software and re-install it...
  3. Migrate OS to M.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate OS to M.2 nvme: I am interested in migrating Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop to M.2 nvme to increase boot speeds. The migration seems straight forward but my question involves the software already installed on the current C drive. Will I have to uninstall the software and re-install it...
  4. Migrate OS to M.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives: Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive. I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1...
  6. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

in Windows 10 Support
    My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives: Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive. I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1...
  7. Windows 10 can't repair system after installing 2nd OS

Windows 10 can't repair system after installing 2nd OS: Hi. I wanted to dual boot a linux OS along side Windows 10, Manjaro to be specific, so I created another partition on my SSD and installed Manjaro on it. After it installed I tried booting windows and it tries to do automatic system repairs, but fails. It also doesnt boot in...
  8. WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe: morning, i have a stupid problem. I have a Crucial P1 500GB NVMe + GB B450 Gaming X + Ryzen 5 3600. If I boot it at linux i got nice access to my nvme but if i try to install win 10 on it, it didn't show up :( I can't find any drivers for the nvm on the crucial website....
  9. Install Mac OS X

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Install Mac OS X: Hello everyone I would like to install Mac OS X in hyper-v (or any VM ) inside Windows 10 Any way to do that? If there is please show me how to do that. 93920
  10. Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs): I have 2 Windows 10 (7 Upgrades) Installed, ...I would like to set them up, so I can Dual Boot them, without re-installing them. 24215
Tags: