Windows 10: Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD

Discus and support Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed an SSD drive in place of my optical drive on my laptop. I wish to use this drive as boot drive. I have tried using windows media media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Socspop, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Socspop Win User

Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD

I installed an SSD drive in place of my optical drive on my laptop. I wish to use this drive as boot drive. I have tried using windows media media creation tool, which recognized the new drive, to install windows 10 and it goes through the whole thing and then says my computer is not compatible with that installation. How do I format my new SSD drive as a boot drive. I also tried Windows Easy Transfer WET Package which seem to require that the new drive the be external. I really would like to transfer the whole old derive like easy transfer did. How do I make the SS drive the windows boot drive? Present Windows 10 Home x64 Version 2004 build 19041.208

:)

Socspop, Jul 7, 2020

2. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Ztruker Win User

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Skip the HDD step. Go directly to SSD. Win 10 will install and activate on the SSD with no problems.

Ztruker, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD - Similar Threads - Install added laptop

2. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  3. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  4. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  5. Win 10 clean install on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  6. Adding an SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding an SSD: Hi everyone, haven't posted anything in a long while. Although I haven't got a problem per se, more of a technical question - I would like to add an SSD to my workstation that has a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but I'm not sure it's possible. I essentially would like to...
  7. Adding a Language to Win 10 1809 laptops and desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding a Language to Win 10 1809 laptops and desktops: Hello All, I have noticed that the language and keyboard setting that were on our organization's laptops for few users have been over written by defaults after 1809 upgrade. There are no features being displayed while adding a language and even after adding the language,...
  8. Added SSD to Old Laptop

Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  9. [Laptop/Help]Install windows 10 with uefi in newly added ssd.

[Laptop/Help]Install windows 10 with uefi in newly added ssd.: Hi, I have a MSI GE62 2QD Apache notebook equipped with 1TB HDD and running windows 8.1 core edition in legacy mode. I've recently installed a new m.2 SSD to this system and willing to install windows 10 on new ssd with uefi enabled. First thing I want to know is the...
  10. Win 10 to SSD No free install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 to SSD No free install: Hello, I am running an unauthorized version of Win 7 64 in my PC. I have two sata hard drives using Casper to clone. I am buying a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive. I want to buy Windows Ten and install it, and most of my Apps on the SSD, keeping everything...