Windows 10: Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

Discus and support Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by scrapser, Dec 8, 2018.

1. scrapser Win User

Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

Hi,
    As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have not powered the laptop up yet because I know Windows will want to walk me through a first setup process along with activation. I purchased the computer this evening and also bought a flash drive copy of Windows 10 Pro.

I have built several desktop computers over the years and always began by installing my copy of Windows on a freshly formatted (blank) hard drive and then installing everything else (firewall software, chip set drivers, all other hardware drivers, etc.). I've been told now that each copy of Windows is now married to the hardware system it was first installed on so transferring Windows from one computer to another is no longer possible. I will be verifying this to see if it's true.

What I want to do is replace Windows 10 Home with the Pro version. But I do not trust the upgrade approach which is why I bought a physical copy of Windows 10 Pro. I want to erase what's on the laptop and start from scratch using the purchased copy of Win 10 Pro. I'm hoping I can still transfer it to a different machine later on if that ever becomes necessary for some reason. I will also need to check with Dell to see if this will confuse them and their warranty on the laptop.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

scrapser, Dec 8, 2018
  2. nkaufman Win User

Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Hello,

Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop.

This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that Lenovo has installed.

I was wondering what the best way is:
    - backup the system so in case I need to, I can reset to factory configuration
    - wipe out everything on HDD
    - install Win-10 from scratch and only programs that I need

Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Final question - can I install Win-7 pro on this laptop with my older license (old laptop is no longer being used) and use the free upgrade to upgrade to Win-10 Pro?

Thank you for your assistance.

nkaufman, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Win 2000 pro install on win 10 laptop

Have laptop w/Win 10. want to install win 2000 to run older programs. Will it install?? Do not want to keep win 10 on computer, have desktop with win 10.

PhilipNielsen, Dec 8, 2018
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed - Similar Threads - Install Pro Alienware

2. Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro: I have just bought laptop MSI WS66 11UKT which came with pre installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit Ver.2009.I want to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 Pro. But before that I want to make a clean install for it. I have Windows 10 Pro with DVD inside the...
  3. Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro: I have just bought laptop MSI WS66 11UKT which came with pre installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit Ver.2009.I want to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 Pro. But before that I want to make a clean install for it. I have Windows 10 Pro with DVD inside the...
  4. Upgrade Win 10 Home pre Installed to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 pro new install

Win 10 pro new install: Okay so building a new computer for the first time, I bought a win 10 pro OEM disc with key off of Amazon. Can I just install win 10 pro with a flash drive, than just enter the key from the disk to activate? Or do I need to hook up an external disk drive to run the CD to...
  6. Upgrade to Pro after Win 10 Install which installed Home

Upgrade to Pro after Win 10 Install which installed Home: After buying a full-price purple box WIndows 10 Pro Full Version and installing from USB 3.0 KEY it installed Win 10 Home without asking for a Product Key. I have a Product Key card indicating it is a "Windows 10 Pro Product Key". If I go to activation and use Switch...
  7. Install Win 10 on a new system w/o DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 on a new system w/o DVD: I have a bit of a screw up that I'm trying to resolve. I'm remotely trying to help my grandson build a PC (remote due to COVID). He has ordered all the components including a Win 10 64 Home DVD. Now that we are getting into the detail, I see that the PC case he has ordered...
  8. Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.: I mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro and now my windows won't activate. The activation troubleshoot directs me to the MS Store but there I don't have the option to install Pro and I don't have a key since it's a digital license attached to my account....
  9. Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home

Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home: Hello Guys, On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully. If I can now somehow buy a Windows 7 Pro license and install W7 Pro on this laptop and then upgrade it to W10. Will it then be a W10 Pro...
  10. Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home: Hello, Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop. This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that Lenovo has installed. I was wondering what the best way is: - backup the system so in case I need to, I can reset to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alienware自带win10 home如何升级为win 10 pro

2. install win 10 pro to notebook win 10 home

3. alienware upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10