Windows 10: Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

Discus and support Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; You may find that you actually won't have to find too many drivers. Win10 is really pretty good about that. Not perfect but not bad. I did a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m3110w, Sep 4, 2015.

1. KACI Win User

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

You may find that you actually won't have to find too many drivers. Win10 is really pretty good about that. Not perfect but not bad. I did a clean install on my son's older desktop and the graphics driver was the only one I had to find. Having said that, I know that laptops can be problematic sometimes. Good luck.

2. m3110w Win User

Hello @KACI, thanks. With the info from this thread I'm more confident that my Win10 ISO clean install will go well. I'm eagerly awaiting my new SSD. Cheers,

m3110w, Sep 5, 2015
  3. fredc Win User
    I use the following commands to install the operating system on a new SSD , works well .

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive? [​IMG]

fredc, Sep 5, 2015
  4. m3110w Win User

Hello @fredc,

Want to make sure I understand. In order for these commands to work I first have to put my new SSD into a case and then connect it. Then I run these command in a Windows command line. I have that right?

My guess is that very very few people do anything like this before doing a Win10 ISO install to their new drives - that true?

You seem to be saying that doing these commands has some advantage over the usual way of installing Win10 ISO. What is the advantage?

Doesn't the Win10 ISO install process take care of all this automatically?

I just want to understand the big picture of what you're suggesting. Thanks.

m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  5. fredc Win User
    You install your new drive into your computer so it's hooked up right , you then (admin command prompt) go through these commands.

After these commands are completed your new SSD is now ready to accept an operating system on it successfully.

I am not an expert by any means , i asked all over the place about what i needed to do to install an operating system on my SSD . The great guys at 7 forums helped me and told me running these commands will allow you to successfully install Win 7 on it without using or doing a transfer .

Of course you need to have a Win 10 ISO to install Win 10 on your new SSD but these commands supposedly prepare your new SSD for use.

You also need to have activated and updated to Win 10 before a clean install but you probably already know that.

Thats all i know , it has worked great

fredc, Sep 6, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Sep 6, 2015
  7. m3110w Win User
    Hello @topgundcp and @fredc,

Wow, lots of technical details! *Think ( can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows - Windows 10 Forums )

From my research it looks like many newb non-techies have clean installed Win10 ISO to a new drive without doing anything special. This sound accurate?

As a first attempt I'll just follow the steps I outlined in my OP. If it doesn't work I can always format the drive and start over. And I have the original drive jic.

I'll post here how it goes. Thanks,

m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  8. m3110w Win User

m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  9. m3110w Win User
    m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  10. fredc Win User
    I believe that tutorial is about installing on an already ready to go drive , you are getting a brand new SSD and the commands like clean etc... are what allows the drive to accept an operating system( at least thats what i was told).

Although the booting stuff may seem difficult there's really nothing to it , the only thing i did with the boot is to make my DVD boot first so i could install from using the ISO image .

I don't know how important the UEFI boot and Legacy options are , i was never told to do any of that but if you need to choose UEFI you just go to BIOS and change it there. The F2 button takes you into those options but you need to restart and before Windows loads start tapping the F2 button till you see that screen .

fredc, Sep 6, 2015
  11. m3110w Win User
    Hello @fredc

Thanks for the info. Because its installing from a USB or DVD I don't think it matters if the main drive is empty or not. I did a google search for "install "windows 10" onto a new hard drive" and it seems there's no problem doing the Win10 ISO or Win10 USB install onto an new and empty drive that's placed in the internal drive bay.

But I could be wrong. If there's info that says otherwise please let me know.

Booting from DVD or USB is the easy part. I've done it many times for various projects. If I run into problems I'll do some research and hop back onto the forums.

On my HP Pavilion laptop the ESC key gets me into all the boot options.

m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    The installer will install it fine on a new SSD. The command prompt is not necessary unless you do not want the System Reserved partition, which has it's advantages. This will tell you exactly how to do it, step by step Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

essenbe, Sep 6, 2015
  13. m3110w Win User

Hello @essenbe,

That's some serious step-by-step action. *Wink (newbies beware!) I'm now reading it in more detail. Thanks for the link. My Plan A is to still just boot from the Win10 ISO DVD and see what happens. I'm pretty sure UEFI boot is default on my brand new HP Pavilion laptop. I do want to keep the System Reserved partition. Cheers,

m3110w, Sep 6, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    A normal Windows 10 installation with MBR style will create 2 partitions: a 500MB reserved partition and C: Drive.
    You might be able to install Windows 10 without a reserved partition by first create & format the drive you plan to install it on then you'll get a single partition C: . However, this will only works with MBR style installation.

For UEFI style installation, you have no choice. Windows will create 4 partitions: Resevered (450 MB), System (100MB), MSR (16MB) and C; Drive.

My suggestion is just to let Windows creates all the needed partitions. They are only a few hundred MB's anyway.

topgundcp, Sep 6, 2015
  15. essenbe Win User
    I think it looks more technical than it really is. It is pretty simple actually. If you run into any problems, let us know or post in the tutorial thread.

essenbe, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive? - Similar Threads - Install Win10 ISO

2. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  3. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  4. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing Windows10 onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows10 onto new SSD: I recently built a new PC, and used the SSD from my prior build in this one so I had Windows and didn't lose any files. I have another PC fully built, but no operation system installed on the brand new SSD for it. Do I NEED to download the ISO files onto a USB Drive and...
  6. New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation: Five year old Dell XPS 8900 desktop with OEM Win10. I immediately added a 240 GB SanDisk SSD as my (C:/) Windows drive and put (most) all my data on the OEM 1TB Seagate HDD (D:/ drive). Turns out there's a small bit of data I'd like to recover from old C drive, but nothing...
  7. Unable to install windows onto new SSD

Unable to install windows onto new SSD: Hello. I have been trying to install windows to my brand-new SSD for 4-5 days now. I installed Ubuntu onto it first, since I plan on having a dual-boot system. (Which I've done before) The first issue is that the Windows Media Creation Tool keeps failing to download/burn to...
  8. AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive

AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive: I seem to remember, when I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new build, a few years ago, I had to install some specific drivers during the Windows 7 installation to ensure drives used AHCI mode. Do I still need to do anything during windows 10 clean install to new SSD drive...
  9. Will a DVD ISO work with new SSD install?

Will a DVD ISO work with new SSD install?: Hello I have an hp G60-447CL notebook which I just purchased a Crucial 525G SSD for and I am trying to make sure that the DVD ISO I made using windows will reinstall windows on my new SSD after I change it out. I know about cloning my hard drive but I am not interested in...
  10. Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Not able to install new ISO on SSD: Basically, I got fed up with the daily problems from doing an "upgrade" from Win8.1 to Win10TP 32-bit and decided to install afresh from the latest ISO. Since I have a 64-bit processor and 8GB of memory (now) I thought I'd try the 64-bit version. Booted from the USB stick,...