Windows 10: Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD

Discus and support Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I want to install Win10 on a system with a NVME SSD, but the BIOS does not recognize the drive as a bootable device. I have already done this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lindetpj, Feb 23, 2021.

1. lindetpj Win User

Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD

Hi,

I want to install Win10 on a system with a NVME SSD, but the BIOS does not recognize the drive as a bootable device.

I have already done this with Linux, just put the EFI Partition and the /boot mount point on the HDD and the root / and /home folder is on the NVME drive.

Can I do the same with Win10? Put the EFI Partition on the bootable device and Windows on the NVME?

Thank you.

:)

lindetpj, Feb 23, 2021
  2. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Feb 23, 2021
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to try what you suggested. I just tried using Linux Mint boot cd to hopefully erase the SSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of encryption on the SATA SSD that prevents Linux from managing the SSD. Funny thing is I never used bitlocker on the SATA SSD.

xkm1948, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD

Windows refuses to install on NVME SSD (Samsung 960 EVO)

First, thanks everyone who copy-pasted the first relevant results they found in Google. I found those before I asked the question.

The solution that I got to work is as follows:

• Disable CSM / UEFI
    • Enable Secure Boot
    • Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
      • Format the drive
      • Restart the machine

• Enable CSM / UEFI

• Disable Secure Boot

• Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

MikeIsMike, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD

1. Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD - Similar Threads - Install Win10 non

2. Installation of Windows on NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation of Windows on NVME SSD: I have a Inspiron 5570 and need to install Windows 10 on NVME SSD disk. I managed to installed once however on booting was getting 2 options existing HDD & SSD. Screwed around wih BIOS so may not be correct. Renamed Windows on HDD as Windows_old so won't reboot with HDD....
  3. Win10 Bootable USB installation question

Win10 Bootable USB installation question: A while back ago I created a Windows 10 USB Bootable stick using the Media Creation Tool. How can I find out which version and build number I have on my USB bootable stick? I am guessing it is 20H2, but I really prefer to double check it. Is there a command to check this...
  4. Win10 on a Nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 on a Nvme: I trying to clone win 10 with Macrium reflect ok the drive with win 10 is a old 600Gb HD not SSD the new drive is a Nvme 500Gb. I had to cut out 80Gb out of the Nvme to hold the image this is drive F the rest of the Nvme is drive G . I made the image have it on (F) but when i...
  5. Motherboard support for bootable M.2 NVME SSD

Motherboard support for bootable M.2 NVME SSD: I have a Supermicro C7Q67 motherboard with 2 HDDs and 24GB Ram. I decided to find some hardware component(s) to improve the overall performance of this system. After some looking, I decided on a Vantec M.2 NVME PCIe X4 adapter and a 500GB M.2 NVME SSD to provide the...
  6. Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device

Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device: Hello, I had a situation where my Hard Drive got completely wiped out. I got my personal data recovered on it. Now, I have a Hard Drive that contains all my data but there is no OS loaded on it. I was previously using Windows 10 and would want to install the same again....
  7. NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVME SSD: Do all versions of Windows 10, including business (Volume license), have built in NVme drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-ssd/4df34df6-e834-425b-b1c1-716012fe31a6
  8. Transfer Win10 from standard SSD to NVME Drive

Transfer Win10 from standard SSD to NVME Drive: So I've recently purchased a WD Black 250GB NVME drive. I'd like to transfer everything on my current Corsair Force LS SSD (240GB) onto it. Is there a tool within windows or a tool that can be vouched for as safe to do this with?...
  9. installing windows on a non-bootable drive

installing windows on a non-bootable drive: there are some very nice enterprise PCI-E SSD drives ( for example Micron ) that have only one problem - they are not bootable so i was wondering - is it possible to put the boot partition on a small bootable SSD ( say 16 gb Intel Optane, which i'm not sure is bootable...
  10. win10 install to SSD

win10 install to SSD: Windows install says ( Can't install on USB flash drive.). That's how it sees my SSD. Do I have to put my original HDD back in, image SSD to it and then try to install? 13087