Windows 10: Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

Discus and support Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN) I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nushydude, Aug 17, 2015.

1. nushydude Win User

Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

Hi guys,

I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN)

I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are x64.

Is it possible to install Windows 10 from the ISO? I know you can upgrade that way. But I want to do a clean install AND install alongside Windows 8.1.

:)

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015

2. Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

Can do Partitioning during install or better do from Win 7 Pro disk manager?

New self build PC or install Win 10 PRo as dual boot

I will build a PC myself, i already have SSD so

Partitioning or erase/format NTFS can be done during install[Win 10 Pro]? I want delete all data in ssd when adapt to new build...

Installing Win 10 Pro from usb flash drive is better than using an external usb 3 dvd writer & dvd with Win 10 Pro? the latter should boot from dvd... if set boot from usb? better use usb 2 or usb 3?

Lse123polis, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade from Win 7

How did you initiate the upgrade to Windows 10, using the Media Creation Tool or ISO burnt DVD or bootable USB?

Are you sure a dual boot configuration has not been created?

Are you able to boot into the Windows 7 installation listed?

Create a system repair disc just in case.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Create a new partition on your drive or install to a separate drive, should have no problems.

5. nushydude Win User
    I have cleared a partition for Windows 10.
    C:\ = primary = 100GB: has Windows 8.1 on it
    D:\ = primary = to be used for Windows 10
    E:\ = logical/secondary = data partition

There are other system partitions too.

So you are saying that I can simply mount the ISO in Windows 8.1 and run the setup and choose D: partition as the install location for Windows 10 and it will work?

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
  6. nushydude Win User
    I tried it. Sadly, the installer doesn't give the option to choose the partition. It just uses the same partition where Windows 8.1 is installed.

I only get 3 options.

1. Save settings and user data : means, upgrade
    2. Save only user data : means, upgrade
    3. Delete everything : means clean installation deleting windows 8.1

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Shamalanana, Aug 17, 2015
  8. nushydude Win User

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Without researching, the fastest answer I can give you would be the following.

1) Disconnect your existing HDD.
    2) Connect a new/spare HDD.
    3) Install Windows 10 to the new/spare.
    4) Reconnect previous HDD.
    5) Ghost/Clone the new/spare to your partition on the previous HDD.
    6) Run the Windows boot repair on Windows 8 or 10, they should both add the second entry. (Or manually add the entry using Bootcfg?)

Shamalanana, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Williams Win User
    How windows RTM related with your problem. ?

Williams, Aug 17, 2015
  11. nushydude Win User
    Too tedious. I'll probably get someone burn a DVD then.

i downloaded Windows 10 in VHD format. Can it be used to install Windows? For example, copy everything on it to the physical partition, do a boot repair and Windows will make it bootable? After that, it will probably redetect all the hardware?

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
  12. nushydude Win User
    Because that guide is from last year so it refers to preview builds.

Microsoft probably removed the ability to mount a Windows 10 RTM ISO and run the setup from there to install it as dual boot. I have no other explanation why the custom install option isn't showing. This probably is due to activation.

nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

RTM = Release to Manufacturing. I've always read it as Released to Market meaning it's "good to go" or stable. There are differences between Technical Preview (Alpha/Beta) and RTM. The link I sent him referred to a Tech preview which had the ability to do side-by-side installations. Which would of been the solution to his problem.

Shamalanana, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Williams Win User
  15. nushydude Win User
    nushydude, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD - Similar Threads - Install dual boot

2. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install windows without dual boot: Hello, i have 2 m.2 ssd's that i want to install windows on however it seems that if i try to install a second instance of windows on the second one it automatically enables the windows dual boot stuff. For my practice i have to make sure this doesnt happen and so far the...
  3. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows without dual boot: Hello, i have 2 m.2 ssd's that i want to install windows on however it seems that if i try to install a second instance of windows on the second one it automatically enables the windows dual boot stuff. For my practice i have to make sure this doesnt happen and so far the...
  4. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  6. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  7. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

8. How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD

How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD: How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD. I want to Know This Method Because I Want to Clean Install Windows 10 but I don't have USB or DVD. Please Help Me.Thanks For Any Help!...
  9. How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD

How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD: How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD. I want to Know This Method Because I Want to Clean Install Windows 10 but I don't have USB or DVD. Please Help Me.Thanks For Any Help!...
  10. Dual Boot without USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot without USB: Hello guys I have to boot another OS on my UEFI Windows 10 however I do not have USB Stick and due to the virus lockdown I cannot go outside to buy a new one. Is there any software to let me boot these two OS with only using my Internal Drive (SSD). Thanks in advance....