Windows 10: Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

Discus and support Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I currently have a 1Tb HDD, partitioned into ‘C’ one-third and ‘D’two-thirds. ‘C’ is Windows 10 and apps, ‘D’ is data docs, spreadsheets, music….... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThreeChordBoogie, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

Hi

I currently have a 1Tb HDD, partitioned into ‘C’ one-third and ‘D’two-thirds. ‘C’ is Windows 10 and apps, ‘D’ is data docs, spreadsheets, music….

I have a spare 240Gb SSD 2.5 inch which I’d like to useas the boot drive, with the aim of making Windows 10 start quicker, and keep the1TB drive for data – in other words, use two disk drives with SSD = ‘C’ and HDD= ‘D’. Note that SSD has absolutely nothing to keep on it and can be wiped.

What would I need to do to achieve this? I can load Windows from USB and select the SSD as the destination - but will Windowsrecognise the larger drive as another OS, will it ignore it completely, or simplysee it as a HDD with two partitions?

How can I tell my computer that my SSD is now the bootdrive?

Presumably computer will know where to look once OS hasbeen installed

Would I be able to go back if the plan fails simply remove SSD and rely on 1Tb drive?

Will computer find boot drive, or will a complete reinstall be required?

I fully intend to take a backup before starting, but will the data and anything else on HDD remain intact?

And what else do I need to be aware of?

As you might imagine, I am ever so slightly worried thatI will corrupt something and be unable to get the computer started again.

:)

ThreeChordBoogie, Mar 8, 2021
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Mar 8, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

little cat, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

1. Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive - Similar Threads - Install 2nd drive

2. 2nd windows installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd windows installation: Hi, so my question is:Can you have more than 1 windows installation?I'm thinking of installing a new windows on the same pc but different driver because the registry on my current windows is corrupted. I have C: drive, which is my current windows location and planning on...
  3. Installed Windows 10 on Acer Laptop; My 2nd Drive not mounted?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Windows 10 on Acer Laptop; My 2nd Drive not mounted?: Okay so long story short I thought I could convert to Linux Debian full time but it didnt work. I have a Acer Aspire Laptop Model A315-22, so I probably put some miles on my SSD distro hopping unable to find stability like we have here at windows so anyways I came back booted...
  4. Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive: I have Dell XPS8940 machine with two drives SSD ( C:) and HDD ( D:) with SATA operation and configured in BIOS for RAID mode. My OS is Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685 ). I wish all new apps and folders: downloads, documents, music, pictures, videos be installed on D: drive...
  5. 2nd install of windows 10

2nd install of windows 10: I installed windows 10 on an AMD gen7 pc, it loaded but once installed kept freezing after 5 minutes. It did this over 18 times, fed up at what was happening I decided to dump it and reformat machine. when I tried a second fresh windows 10 install it would not work. so not...
  6. Installing user folders on 2nd drive during install

Installing user folders on 2nd drive during install: There was a tutorial (for Win 7) to install user folders onto a 2nd drive during the install (not moving them after). Was wondering if there was a process to do the same with Win 10 170156
  7. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  8. Installing user files on 2nd drive

Installing user files on 2nd drive: When I installed Win7 years ago there was a script that i use to install user files to a second drive on install of Win7 Is there something like that on Windows 10 Thanks 146111
  9. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  10. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...