Windows 10: Install Windows 10 or 8.1 on Windows XP Computer

Discus and support Install Windows 10 or 8.1 on Windows XP Computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Feb. 1, 2020 Hello Folks, I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop with 4 GB. ofmemory, a Pentium 4 processor running Windows XP service pack 3, 32 bit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rjoman, Feb 1, 2020.

1. rjoman Win User

Install Windows 10 or 8.1 on Windows XP Computer

Feb. 1, 2020

Hello Folks,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop with 4 GB. ofmemory, a Pentium 4 processor running Windows XP service pack 3, 32 bit. This computer meets the minimum requirements for Windows 10. I realize the performance would be slow, but that is OK as I am also old and slow.

I have tried to do a clean install of both Win.10 Ver. 1909 and Win.8.1 to no avail.

For Win. 10, - From https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 web site, I downloaded the download tool, used it to download the ISO file, and created a disk for Windows 10 Home 32 bit.

I tried to restart and boot from the disk. It kept saying “loading files”, “Press any key to boot from CD”, “loading files”, “Press any key to boot from CD”, over and over again and wouldn’t boot from the disk. I can boot from other disks like Run Time Live CD but not this ISO disk.

So I started windows XP, inserted the disk, clicked on setup.exe. Error message- “setup.exe is not a valid win32 application” was displayed. With the command processor, I ran sfc /scannow. It didn’t find any errors. I tried the install again with the same results.

I purchased an OEM “Windows 10 Home Full version 32 bit” disk, tried the same as described above with the same results. The disk I created has the same files on it as the disk I purchased.

So I thought, so much for Win.10, I will try to do a clean install with Win.8.1. I ran the

Windows-UpgradeAssistant, for Win.8.1, the results were promising. I did the same procedure described above to create and an ISO disk for Win.8.1. The results were the same as described above when I tried to boot from it. I started windows XP, inserted the disk, clicked on setup.exe. Error message “The file autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt setup cannot continue to run error code is [ox7f]”. I ran sfc /scannow. It didn’t find any errors. I ran the install again with the same results.

At this point, I am stuck. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Sorry for the shaggy dog story but I think I needed to provide all the details.

Thanks,

rjoman

:)

rjoman, Feb 1, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Windows 8 rollback to 7 or XP

Not a good idea. MS doesn't support XP anymore. Its about as secure and Sponge Bobs skull. Install Windows 7.

TheMailMan78, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Zebeon Win User

Windows 8 rollback to 7 or XP

Not sure were to post this at so hope this is the right place.

I have a customer that used Xp and outlook express forever. Well her pc died and she got one of her friends grandkids to help her get a new computer- In turn came with windows 8 - the kid was suppose to help her learn it and stayed about 10 minutes and left.
    Long story short- She HATES windows 8 and want to go back to XP.

My question is: Can I install XP on it with out to much driver trouble or is that not a good idea?

It is an HP p6-2330 and of course only list Windows 8 drivers on the site.
    amd a6-5400k
    6G ddr3
    1tb hd

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    Zebeon

Zebeon, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Install Windows 10 or 8.1 on Windows XP Computer - Similar Threads - Install Computer

2. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...: Using reagentc and diskpart to manually expand the update memory resulted in the D drive to be a recovery only drive. I would like to put it back to a boot drive and need help please....
  3. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...: Using reagentc and diskpart to manually expand the update memory resulted in the D drive to be a recovery only drive. I would like to put it back to a boot drive and need help please....
  4. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...: It does not show the screen for entering the activation code. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-qb-2017-installed-on-windows-10/cfc08d8c-336e-4908-8514-3fb1d33bf347
  6. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...: It does not show the screen for entering the activation code. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-qb-2017-installed-on-windows-10/cfc08d8c-336e-4908-8514-3fb1d33bf347
  7. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...

8. I tried installing windows 11 and it broke my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried installing windows 11 and it broke my computer: my pc was extremely laggy so I tried reverting back to windows 10 and now it won’t boot. Just goes to the repair screen on launch. When I try to restore the computer it doesn’t have any saved restore points. I’ve tried doing a fresh install from a usb but it keeps giving me...
  9. I tried installing windows 11 and it broke my computer

I tried installing windows 11 and it broke my computer: my pc was extremely laggy so I tried reverting back to windows 10 and now it won’t boot. Just goes to the repair screen on launch. When I try to restore the computer it doesn’t have any saved restore points. I’ve tried doing a fresh install from a usb but it keeps giving me...
  10. I tried installing windows 11 and it broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade