Windows 10: Install Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key? (NOT 8.1)

Discus and support Install Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key? (NOT 8.1) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 8 Pro key that came on a plastic card with the Windows 8 DVD. I am pretty sure this is an upgrade version, but I don't know for sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShowsOn, May 21, 2016.

1. ShowsOn Win User

Install Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key? (NOT 8.1)

I have a Windows 8 Pro key that came on a plastic card with the Windows 8 DVD. I am pretty sure this is an upgrade version, but I don't know for sure because I don't have the original packaging. All I have is the DVD and the plastic card that has the activation code.

I am wondering if there is a short cut to using this key to install Windows 10 Pro?

Do I really have to install Windows 8, install it again (because it's probably an upgrade key), upgrade to 8.1, and then upgrade to 10?

Is there some way I can just install Windows 10 directly?

This will be installed on a new computer on a blank SSD.

:)

ShowsOn, May 21, 2016

2. Can I activate windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8 key?

If you have Windows 10 Pro installed and you have either a Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8 Pro license, yes, you can use it to activate Windows 10 Pro.

Learn more about how to install and activate Windows 10 Pro using either a Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8 Pro key:

How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2016
  3. windows 10 related

Thanks for reply.

Now please guide : The laptop has purchased with pre installed windows 8. I changed the key to Windows 8 pro which get the machine upgraded to windows 10 pro. The machine is now old and giving problems. how can I go back to original OEM windows licence of
    8 home which will be upgraded to windows 10 home, to free my windows 8 pro key from the laptop.

This I want to use on new laptop which has OEM windows 10 home, to upgrade to windows 10 professional by first clean installation of windows 8 pro which will be upgraded to windows 10 pro.

whether above is possible, if yes please convey.

thanks

kdhirendra, May 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Just install Windows 10, select "I don't have a product key", "skip", or "do this later" when asked for a Windows 10 product key. After it is installed go to settings, updates and security, activation screen, and change product key to the Windows 8 Pro product key to activate it.

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  5. ShowsOn Win User
    So that will work even though my Win 8 Pro key is an upgrade key, not a full license key?

ShowsOn, May 22, 2016
  6. big10 Win User
    You may upgrade to Win 8 Pro, then upgrade to Win 10 Pro with Win 10 free upgrade.

big10, May 22, 2016
  7. ShowsOn Win User
    I don't know what you mean. This will be for a new computer that won't have anything on it. Just a new SSD.

ShowsOn, May 22, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Windows Help

The only difference is that you will initially install Windows 10 Pro, but once you get it installed, the activation with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade pack key is the same as described in the article:

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2016
  9. Phone Man Win User
    I used a Windows 8 Pro retail key and when asked for a key during W10 install I put in the W8 key and it auto activated.
    I used a 1511 version ISO for the install which had both Pro and Home versions and it installed the Pro version.

This was a change when 1511 was released.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, May 22, 2016
  10. ShowsOn Win User
    OK, I'll see what happens. I should have the parts by late this week.

The idea of activating 10 Pro with an 8 Pro upgrade key seems too good to be true.

It is an actual Windows 8 Pro Upgrade key designed to upgrade from Windows 7 (and maybe from Vista?). It isn't just to upgrade from 8 to 8 Pro.

ShowsOn, May 22, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The option to activate Windows 10 with a Windows 8 product key will only be free until July 29th.

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2016
  12. ShowsOn Win User
    Yeah that was motivation for ordering this system / parts now to avoid the cost of a full Windows 10 license.

Personally I think it is crazy that they are going to charge US$119 for a Windows 10 license from July 30. Why not just make it $50?

I have done about 20 upgrades from 7 or 8.1 for friends and family since the Win 10 launch last year. Will be sad to see that business go.

ShowsOn, May 22, 2016
  13. Install Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key? (NOT 8.1)

That's been the price of all recent Windows versions, in terms of being full retail.

DeaconFrost, May 22, 2016
  14. machare Win User
    I think that you are right these days!

When Windows 8 Pro came out I got two update keys which I used for clean installs. However when I tried to do a new clean install, the update key I used would not work. The error message said I had to do an update. To get the W8 Pro key to work I first had to install a retail copy of Windows 7. The tricky bit was that Windows 7 did not contain any drivers for the Ethernet and USB ports on my new motherboard, and I don't have a DVD drive. Once I had Windows 7 and then W8.1 Pro activated I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, and once that was activated I could then do clean installs of W10 Pro 32 and 64 bit versions.

machare, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key? (NOT 8.1) - Similar Threads - Install Pro using

2. Windows 8 pro activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8 pro activation: So Lately I boot my old pc to see something and i keep getting the notification to activate the windows with product key and i cannot upgrade it to win 10 or do anything cause of that limitation. I don't know where the key is after all these years so what should i do? TIA...
  3. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  4. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  5. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key: Hello! I have one quick question: Is it still possible to use an old Windows 8 Pro license to upgrade my Windows 10 to professional? I saw in articles online that it was possible but when I went to activation and put in the Product Key in my email from when I bought Windows...
  7. windows 8 pro upgrade

windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  8. Installing windows 10 on my new pc using window 8 pro key

Installing windows 10 on my new pc using window 8 pro key: Very soon I will finish building a new pc, on my current pc windows 10 is a upgrade from a retail version of windows 8 pro I own and still have. My understanding is I can download installation files for windows 10 from Microsoft use them to install on my new pc and use my...
  9. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...
  10. Windows 8 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 8 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro: When I purchased my new computer a little over a year ago, I wanted to get Widows 8 Professional, but was told that I couldn't buy it outright, I could only lease it. Now I see Windows 10 Professional FOR SALE! Will I buy it? I don't know -BUT - If Windows 8 Professional...