Windows 10: Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive

Discus and support Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to install Windows on a laptop, but instead of using the main disk I want to use a usb drive. I have my bootable usb, but it does not give me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/amikelop, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive

I want to install Windows on a laptop, but instead of using the main disk I want to use a usb drive.

I have my bootable usb, but it does not give me the option to install on anything else other than the main drive.

I undertand that windows does not recognize removable drives as hard disks, but is there any way I coud change that?

I'm using a 128G USB formated as NTFS

submitted by /u/amikelop
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/amikelop, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Dec 17, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive

1. Install Windows 10 using a USB as the main drive - Similar Threads - Install using USB

2. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  3. Windows 10 USB drive installation stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 USB drive installation stuck: I’ve been trying to reinstall windows from a usb and have been stuck at this screen for the past hour and a half. It is either between the failed reinstalling screens or the advanced troubleshooting screens which have not helped once. I’m using a Sandisk usb 3.0 but it seems...
  4. Copy of my USB Drive inserted into the Main Computer Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy of my USB Drive inserted into the Main Computer Drive: I am tearing my hair out in frustration over a situation caused accidentally on my laptop with Windows 10 Home - 64 bit Operating System that has left me with a copy of the USB drive placed within the main PC Drive. I would be so grateful for any guidance to clear the...
  5. Cannot use USB to install the windows 10

Cannot use USB to install the windows 10: When i go bios to select usb drive but when i delete partion 3 and press install it will only stuck at 23% which it can't install https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-use-usb-to-install-the-windows-10/fe077be8-0154-4be7-82bd-ff157b3dfed9
  6. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  7. Windows 10 not installing from USB drive

Windows 10 not installing from USB drive: I am trying to dual boot Windows 10 Pro and Pop!_OS 20.04 on the same drive with separate partitions. I have gotten as far as to flash the Windows .iso image onto my USB drive but when I choose to boot from the USB I get a blank screen with just a single blinking underline....
  8. Permissions Completely Borked After Using Main Drive in External USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions Completely Borked After Using Main Drive in External USB: Hi everyone. This deals with Windows 10 Pro x64 latest version fully updated. I was going on holiday, and was taking my small laptop. I had a lot of files on my main desktop computer drive where Windows is installed (500gb Western Digital SSD) and chucked it into an external...
  9. using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick

using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick: after running the media creation tool on an empty usb flash drive can i copy additional files onto it? i would like to transfer some files using the space that is left empty from the old system i ran the media creation tool on to my new one will the installation still work...
  10. "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?

"You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?: My internet searches on that message have yielded two ways of "fixing" that message when trying to install Windows 10 updates using a downloaded Windows.ISO file. The fixes are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ash-drive.html My question is: Why are those...