Windows 10: Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

Discus and support Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My wife's hard drive is failing. I want to install windows on a new hard drive. But when I try to do that, I reach the "location to install" windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by prattden, May 15, 2022.

1. prattden Win User

Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

My wife's hard drive is failing. I want to install windows on a new hard drive. But when I try to do that, I reach the "location to install" windows and there is no hard drive listed. I'm told I need drivers but the Windows install disk apparently doesn't have the driver I need. Contacted my computer vendor, and they can't help. What do I do?

:)

prattden, May 15, 2022
  2. little cat, May 15, 2022
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, May 15, 2022
  4. Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, May 15, 2022
Thema:

Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

1. Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Install Computer Failing

2. Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive: My wife's hard drive is failing. I want to install windows on a new hard drive. But when I try to do that, I reach the "location to install" windows and there is no hard drive listed. I'm told I need drivers but the Windows install disk apparently doesn't have the driver I...
  3. Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive: My wife's hard drive is failing. I want to install windows on a new hard drive. But when I try to do that, I reach the "location to install" windows and there is no hard drive listed. I'm told I need drivers but the Windows install disk apparently doesn't have the driver I...
  4. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  5. Windows10 Fails to Complete Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 Fails to Complete Install on New Hard Drive: Recently the HD on my Lenovo Thinkcenter Edge 71/1578 desktop died. I bought a replacement new hard drive and, following the directions on the MS site, created a USB with an installation of Windows10 1909. The installation beings just fine; I select Windows10 pro [which...
  6. installing old hard drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing old hard drive in new computer: I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro....
  7. windows 10 hard drive failed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 hard drive failed: windows 10 hard drive failed on latest laptop, installed hard drive from previous laptop (windows 8.0) that insurance claim returned in 2015. Will i have to spend $99 to reinstall windows 10 and get a product key?...
  8. Windows 10 DVD new hard drive install fail

Windows 10 DVD new hard drive install fail: I have accepted the way Windows Logo recycles sometimes for hours before Sign in page appears. Any BIOs setting other than Legacy will not allow DVD to start the process. My HP Laptop is an OEM win 10. The hard drive passed away due to mechanical fail, I replaced it with...
  9. Hard drive failing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive failing?: Recently I’ve tried to acess my HP laptop running windows 10 on it after a hard restart, but when it attempts to boot from hard drive it gove me the auto repair startup. Almost immediately after it attempts to start up, it goes to black screen. I have run tests on my hard...
  10. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...