Windows 10: Install Windows on M.2 2280?

Discus and support Install Windows on M.2 2280? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm planning on upgrading my computer next year and the motherboard I've currently picked out supports M.2 and I was wondering if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chuck38, May 25, 2016.

1. Chuck38 Win User

Install Windows on M.2 2280?

Hello,

I'm planning on upgrading my computer next year and the motherboard I've currently picked out supports M.2 and I was wondering if it's possible to install an OS on M.2 and would be any faster than my SSD? If it is possible, do I install the OS the same way I would with a traditional SSD or HDD?

Also, all I have is my Windows 8.1 disk. I upgraded to Windows 10 through the free option that was offered. When I upgrade my PC I'll be upgrading my motherboard, so how would I go about installing Windows 10? Will I have to buy a installation disk?

:)

Chuck38, May 25, 2016

2. Windows m.2 broke

Dominick, you need to stay in the same thread so we know what you're talking about. You should not start a new thread for each reply. I have no idea what you've done without going back to search for old threads of yours.

What "end to drive" did you remove from where?

What password is being asked for that you did not set up yourself?

Yesterday you said you built a new PC, correct? What exactly is the problem you need us to help you with? We need to start at the beginning to help you best.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 25, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, May 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

What is M.2 2280? If it is a modern motherboard manufactured in the past 10 years, it will run 10 with no problems.

An SSD only runs so fast. The main reason people buy them is for laptops to not have the drive damaged if accidentally dropped and to help get longer battery life.

If you are installing 10 on a machine that never had an OS installed. You will need a new livense. If you have purchased 8.1. You will most likely have to call to tell the automated system that the license is only used on 1 computer.

It is more of what if's, until you actually get the machine up and running and install the OS.

No one can tell you what will happen until you actually do it.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  5. Chuck38 Win User
    I don't mean to be rude, sir. But if you haven't even heard of M.2 then you probably shouldn't have replied to this thread. M.2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry if that came across as rude.

Chuck38, May 25, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, May 25, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    You should also check your mainboard's specs, some boards, depending on what else you are running on the X16 slot for PCIE, having the M.2 running as well as anything else may cut into the available PCIE lanes for your GPU Card ...

My board has this issue however was corrected with a BIOS Update AFAIK (Since I'm not planning on getting an M.2 for it just yet).

It should be great once setup though!

RWOne, May 25, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you build it after July 29th this year, you will have to purchase Windows 10 for it.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, May 25, 2016
  10. Chuck38 Win User
    Well, shoot.

Chuck38, May 25, 2016
  11. Chuck38 Win User
    I'm going mITX so I will only have one PCIe slot. Here's the board I'm considering. ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Keep in mind, however, I wouldn't be ordering parts till around this time next year.

Chuck38, May 25, 2016
  12. badrobot Win User
    Chuck, you'll be fine. I checked your mobo of choice and it's matched with your M.2 SSD. It's PCIe x4 which is the minimum you need to run your M.2 at maximum speed of 2200+MBps.
    I replied to your PM about installing OS. Basically SSDs are meant as a boot drive for faster boot time of OSes and fast opening up of applications/programs. But now they're coming out in TBs too for storage purposes.

As you have an upgraded Windows 10, I'm afraid you may not be able to transfer it to your new hardware and may need to get a new license/key.

Enjoy!

badrobot, May 25, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

I do not look at Wikipedia and yes not everyone knows what a M2.2280 is.

As for telling someone to not reply to your post gets your post forgotten and you on a person's block list.

If you did not want help on here. Do not post or turn around and get mad at someone for posting to your question.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Actually that is incorrect. Windows 7 is not going to be automatically denied from being installed.

There are plenty of units in Enterprise environment and personal use that can still be installed with the OEM version of 7.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  15. Chuck38 Win User
    Thanks for the info, Robot! Just what I needed to know. *Smile

Chuck38, May 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Install Windows on M.2 2280? - Similar Threads - Install 2280

2. Install Win 11 issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Win 11 issue: Tried to install Win 11 with my win 10 key and it would not activate said it was an invalid key, I then had to reinstall win 10 which worked fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-win-11-issue/cd3d79ec-1dc7-4674-9c13-597d85535aeb
  3. Install Win 11 issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Win 11 issue: Tried to install Win 11 with my win 10 key and it would not activate said it was an invalid key, I then had to reinstall win 10 which worked fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-win-11-issue/cd3d79ec-1dc7-4674-9c13-597d85535aeb
  4. I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.: I can't install it. It terminates immediately when I run the application.And It was purchased by our school, for everyone else it is working but for me, it doesn't work. I even restarted the device, but it failed.I am not able to install applications. For example likeThey say...
  5. I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.

I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.: I can't install it. It terminates immediately when I run the application.And It was purchased by our school, for everyone else it is working but for me, it doesn't work. I even restarted the device, but it failed.I am not able to install applications. For example likeThey say...
  6. Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...: I've installed Windows 11 on my PC, but it seems to have been installed differently, similar to how Windows Server is installed. What does this actually mean?...
  7. Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...

Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...: I've installed Windows 11 on my PC, but it seems to have been installed differently, similar to how Windows Server is installed. What does this actually mean?...
  8. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  9. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  10. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade