Windows 10: Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

Discus and support Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kekonyan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. kekonyan Win User

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should start.

Recently I acquired Samsung Evo 970 SSD and managed to move Windows to new drive (with two partitions, Windows at X:/ and other data on Z:/).

Maintaining three partitions on HDD became pointless, and I decided to merge C and D in one ~900gb partition, but at some point disk management program (I believe it was Easeus product, can't remember now) said that if I want to extend C it should be converted to dynamic disk and computer won't be able to boot from this disk. I was sure that boot partition migrated to SSD with Windows as well and clicked continue, than formated this new partition. After rebooting, computer refused to start and redirected me to UEFI menu. Trying to repair Windows bootloader, I deleted GRUB and, in fact, neither drive has bootloader now.

So, I ejected HDD in order to install Windows fully on SSD, but Windows Setup said that it has GPT partition style. Googling gives the point that MBR is simply outdated and slow relating to GPT.

Is it possible to somehow install bootloader on HDD and OS itself on SSD without installation OS on HDD?

:)

kekonyan, Aug 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 installed the bootloader onto my HDD

I have my current install of Windows 10 Pro on my SSD, but the bootloader is installed on the HDD.

I have to select boot from HDD #1 (the bootloader), and then it will boot to Windows, but Windows itself is installed on SSD #1.

If I disconnect the HDD from my system (it is a very old HDD that I plan on removing and discarding), Windows is unable to boot up at all.

It just gives me a black screen, and before, it gave me bootmgr is missing.

I have done chkdsk /f, no errors.

The W10 installer USB I am using is plugged into a USB 2.0 port from the motherboard's USB header ports, the motherboard has no working USB ports.

SSD #1 has Bitlocker enabled, but I have the recovery key and the password.

Microsoft account is linked to my Windows 10 Pro key, and is activated.

Startup repair, and all the commands from bootrec did not fix my issue.

Required and Visible to Public, Aug 16, 2018
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Skip the HDD step. Go directly to SSD. Win 10 will install and activate on the SSD with no problems.

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD - Similar Threads - Install SSD bootloader

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...: Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my computer and hit the F12 key and select the Windows SSD option it brings me to the GRUB boot loader and I can’t take the USB out...
  4. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...: Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my computer and hit the F12 key and select the Windows SSD option it brings me to the GRUB boot loader and I can’t take the USB out...
  5. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  7. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  8. Need help moving bootloader/windows boot manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help moving bootloader/windows boot manager from HDD to SSD: Hello. I need help moving the bootloader/windows boot manager to my SSD. My HDD got corrupt but I cannot remove it or I cannot boot Windows without it. I have tried following this thread but it doesn't work. I have a problem assigning a letter to the EFI System Partition...
  9. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  10. Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD: I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have created an ISO file for a full install as I want to fully install Windows 10 by itself. My plan is, if the install works and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 boot loader on hdd and system on ssd

2. install windows bootloader to ssd

3. ssd bootloader

4. change bootloader from hdd to ssd,
  5. bootloader for a device ssd ,
  6. bootloader on hdd windows on ssd,
  7. install grub bootloader onto ssd,
  8. install bootloader on ssd hard drive,
  9. bootloader ssd or hdd,
  10. using boot loader to install windows on ssd,
  11. windows on ssd but bootloader on hdd