Windows 10: Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?

Discus and support Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Due to lack of storage, i have collected quite a few drives in my system over the years. Whats annoying about that is, when ever i install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mighty_Phil, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?

Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root? BRmLHs4m4T4vR4BOfVg53xvpIR97RXs3Np5H-1MMvfc.jpg

Due to lack of storage, i have collected quite a few drives in my system over the years.

Whats annoying about that is, when ever i install a single windowsapp (mostly games due to their increasing size) on a drive, Windows clutters the root directory full with shit for updates, keys, temporary folders, etc.

https://preview.redd.it/m8ukdmf7527...bp&s=5239eae32b4f66c20d4e6d2bfed21cedaf67addb

So my problem now is, i want to move Windows specific stuff into a subfolder, because it messes up and clutters my folderstructure.

Is it possible to do that, because in the regular Windows dialogue to move Apps, i can only Choose a drive, but not a path?

submitted by /u/Mighty_Phil
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mighty_Phil, Jun 25, 2020
  2. gacuxz Win User

Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution.

SITUATION
    I have a following folders structure:
    root
    ----|A
    ----|B
    --------|B1
    --------|B2
    ----|C
    I need to give permission for user to access only folder B2 and deny access to any root folders. I want to lock user inside this folder.

WORKAROUND
    After reading this, I almost achieved it doing these two steps:
    1. I gave the only "Traverse Folder/Execute File" permission for desired user to root folder and forced this permission to all subfolders.
    2. I disabled inheritance for folder B2 and gave "Full control" permission for desired user.
    In this way user can't access root folder's content, but can access B2 folder directly through direct link or shortcut.

PROBLEM
    The problem is that user can get one directory "up" from his folder and see root folder B with subfolder B1 along with B2. He can even go inside B1 directory and see all files inside. Although he can't access main root folder root - Windows shows "Access denied" error. Windows Security was always very messy but now I'm out of ideas.

gacuxz, Jun 25, 2020
  3. WINDOWSAPPS FILE

Hi,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution regarding your WindowsApps folder issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Send us a screenshot of your WindowsApps and WindowsAppsOld folders so that we can double check the issue.
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 25, 2020
  4. S.cloris Win User

Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?

WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?

1. Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root? - Similar Threads - Install WindowsApps subfolder

2. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  3. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  4. Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files: So I've had this issue for a long while. I can change the permission of the main WindowsApps folder, and it tells me I can change the permissions for its contents to match the same, but it just.... doesn't. I mod games, and so I want to try my hand at modding files in this...
  5. DeliveryOptimization, WindowsApps and WpSystem folders suddenly appearing in root of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DeliveryOptimization, WindowsApps and WpSystem folders suddenly appearing in root of...: I have a secondary drive D: in my PC - it's a hard disk but it's not the system drive which is the C: drive. All of a sudden, after years of using Windows 10 on this computer, new system folders are appearing in the root of this secondary drive. The folders are...
  6. DeliveryOptimization, WindowsApps and SpSystem folders suddenly appearing in root of...

DeliveryOptimization, WindowsApps and SpSystem folders suddenly appearing in root of...: I have a secondary drive D: in my PC - it's a hard disk but it's not the system drive which is the C: drive. All of a sudden, after years of using Windows 10 on this computer, new system folders are appearing in the root of this secondary drive. The folders are...
  7. Can't change permissions of WindowsApps' subfolders

Can't change permissions of WindowsApps' subfolders: We playing with permissions today! Do not run away Objective I am trying to open a file located in subfolders of the WindowsApps folder. Issue I cannot open that file because I have no permissions, I am prompted to contact the owner. Infos I found online how to change...
  8. permission to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder

permission to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder: Winodws 10 Pro Workgroup 1909 Need access to review the security rating at http://virustotal.com Trying to access file in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder Have tried both C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\A278AB0D.Asphalt9_2.5.300.2_x86__h6adky7gbf63m>takeown /f...
  9. WindowsApps\Deleted and other subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps\Deleted and other subfolders: Hello, listing the content of %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps, I see a bunch of folders which appear to have a special function. Namely: - Deleted - DeletedAllUserPackages - MovedPackages - Mutable - MutableBackup Does anybody have an idea of their purpose? Sure, I'm not going to...
  10. Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root: I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution. SITUATION I have a following folders structure: root ----|A ----|B --------|B1 --------|B2 ----|C I need to give permission for user to access only folder B2 and deny access to any root...