Windows 10: Installation Media erased my external hard drive?

Discus and support Installation Media erased my external hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was attempting to reset my Windows 10, and needed to create Installation Media in order to do so. The only thing I had on my was my 2TB External Hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by celldweller zi, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Installation Media erased my external hard drive?

I was attempting to reset my Windows 10, and needed to create Installation Media in order to do so. The only thing I had on my was my 2TB External Hard Drive, so I used that. It now appears that all the files I had previously on this hard drive are now erased and only has Installation media files on it, saying it is 32GB of space.

Are all my files really gone for good? I recall no warning in the installation process that it would essentially reformat my hard drive. I'm thinking maybe I can reformat it again and my use some recovery tool to retrieve my old files, but now in reformatting process it says the hard drive has 32GB of space.

:)

celldweller zi, Aug 12, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 12, 2020
  3. media drive uk

a media drive is an external hdd that has software on it enabling you to just plug it into your tv and watch videos/play music etc

i would suggest ebay for that sort of money tbh

mullered07, Aug 12, 2020
  4. Installation Media erased my external hard drive?

Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Installation Media erased my external hard drive?

1. Installation Media erased my external hard drive? - Similar Threads - Installation Media erased

2. installation media with external hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installation media with external hard drive windows 10: Hi can anyone give me instructions on how to create installation media with an external hard drive for windows 10? i broke my laptop and now im trying to fix it, i have usb flash drives but they all dont have enough storage for the installation so im hoping anyone can help...
  3. installation media with external hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installation media with external hard drive windows 10: Hi can anyone give me instructions on how to create installation media with an external hard drive for windows 10? i broke my laptop and now im trying to fix it, i have usb flash drives but they all dont have enough storage for the installation so im hoping anyone can help...
  4. installation media with external hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. installed windows installation media on external hard drive. recover missing files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    installed windows installation media on external hard drive. recover missing files: Hi it was a 1TB external hard drive with about 120GB of free space. I didn't know installing windows media would remove the files. Now it is shows ESD at the place of the hard drive and says 28GB free of 32GB. What does it mean? Is there now a partition between what was on...
  6. Erase hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Erase hard drive: I need to erase a hard drive on my laptop and reinstall windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-hard-drive/45337d3a-9570-4b8a-aa15-488949ed650a
  7. erase hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    erase hard drive: How can I erase whole of hard drive on Windows 10 laptop prior to disposal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-hard-drive/e89e3f53-c433-4515-aa27-9c38560c91f4
  8. erasing hard drive

erasing hard drive: F disk my hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erasing-hard-drive/688e342a-8849-47fa-a272-748eda47b9eb
  9. External hard drive installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  10. Erased my hard drive unexpectedly

Erased my hard drive unexpectedly: I have erased my hard disk unexpectedly while dual booting my windows with ubuntu , I need to get back to my windows 10 now please help me with this . And what happens to my activation , will I be able to get that back because my activation is done with digital licence that...