Windows 10: Installation problems on SSD

Discus and support Installation problems on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing. I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kekkzze, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Kekkzze Win User

Installation problems on SSD

Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing.
    I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and after assembling it I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the SSD via a bootable USB drive. Only the SSD, the dvd drive and the usb to boot from are the plugged in storage devices.
    Now comes the problem: When I tried to install on an existing partition on that ssd (formatted it on win10 on my hdd) it said I couldn't because it was a gpt partition and my hardware may not be able to boot from that, so i deleted all partitions on the ssd and now it says basically the same, just without the partition stuff and i should check if the controller is activated in bios.
    Since it's my first time with a MB with UEFI on it, i don't know how to enter BIOS, so I tried to do that in UEFI, but i can't seem to get it to work.

I'd appretiate if you could help me, since i seem to have lost my skill to find everything i need on google...

MB is an ASRock H97 Anniversary, SSD is an 128gb from INTENSO (if that should matter), the USB was created using this tool (Media Creation Tool fr Windows 10 - Download - CHIP)

:)

Kekkzze, Jul 30, 2016

2. problem with SSD installation

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_TOSHIBA&Prod_Q300\4&12816b4b&0&010000 could not be migrated

NelsonSeow79, Jul 30, 2016
  3. problem with SSD installation

Hi Nelson,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

To better understand the query, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by SSD installation?

2. What are you trying to migrate?

From the information provided, we are unable to analyze what exactly the issue is. Do get back to us with more information for further assistance.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 30, 2016
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Hello Kekkse mate your post is a little confusing because for one thing there are no system specs except what you have told us.
    Now the drive (SSD) is it new? or has it been used if so then clean it with DISKPART so it is unallocated.

Put it in the machine and then proceed to boot with the ISO again. Personally I much prefer a DVD as I am not a great fan of sticks per 'se

Again having said all that are you trying to install 10 onto a partition on that drive which also has another OS on a different partition - we need some clarification on a few things first.

ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You are must be set to boot as a legacy bios install.

Put ssd in another pc and do this.

From admin command prompt, type

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (where n is sdd disk number - probably last on list)

clean (wipes drive - be sure you have selected right one)

convert mbr

exit

You will now be able to install OS.

cereberus, Jul 30, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Post is clear enough and problem is obvious.

See my other reply!

cereberus, Jul 30, 2016
  7. Saltgrass Win User
    Unless you really know what you are doing you cannot preformat a drive for Windows 10. I will normally create 4 partitions so it is best to create the space you want to use and let the install set up the partitions.

GPT refers to the configuration of the entire drive, not just a partition. If you delete any prior critical partitions during the install, it should install normally. I am assuming you don't have a partition on the drive which already contains data.

Entering the bios is usually done by tapping a key during boot. On an ASUS board it is Del or F2 but I don't know about ASRock.

For a UEFI install a total of four partitions will be created during that process. You can check when it shows that info.

Normally, if you get a message saying the drive is GPT that means you are using non-UEFI version of the install media.

Cereberus seems to not be acquainted with a UEFI system since you cannot boot as Legacy and install as UEFI.

Saltgrass, Jul 30, 2016
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Ok I'll leave this one to you I only quoted what I did and it was simple enough and both my laptops are EUFI and they created the GPT disk on install I didn't have to create anything else. Plus Saltgrass is just about bacjking up what I was trying to tell the OP anyway.....

Edit The BIOS key is F2 for Asrock as it happens Saltbush.

ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2016
  9. Beaupeep Win User
    Please check if secure boot is enabled in the BIOS.

Beaupeep, Jul 30, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    For Asrock MB. During initial boot, keep tapping F2 to enter BIOS. Tapping F11 to display the Boot Menu.

• Enter the BIOS, go to Advanced->Storage Configuration and change SATA mode to AHCI
    • On the BIOS Main Screen, set Full UEFI HD to Auto
    • With only the SSD connected. Plug in the Windows Installation USB, restart and keep tapping on F11 to enter the Boot Menu.
    • From Boot Menu, There are 2 entries for the USB, select the one with UEFI prefix, PC should boot into Windows 10 Installation.
    • On first screen, Press SHIFT+F10 to display the Command Prompt and type:
      dispart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • Continue with the installation, select Custom, hi-lite the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format). Let Windows installation creates all needed partitions.
    • Continue until done.

topgundcp, Jul 30, 2016
  11. Kekkzze Win User
    Thanks for the reply guys
    Seems like the problem was that i booted the wrong option for the usb, i selected the USB option, not the UEFI one. Now I don't get that error anymore when I try to install there, and the installation is running smoothly so far, again thanks for helping me out there.

Kekkzze, Jul 30, 2016
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes well glad it got fixed after much ado *really

ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2016
  13. Kekkzze Win User

It seems that I got another problem now
    After it says it needs to restart the first time, it doesn't continue with the installation but wants to start from scratch. Then I tried the steps topgundc provided with the following results:
    When I select the unallocated partition (118gb) the first time, it tells me it can't install there and i should check the media drive (0x8004242c)
    After that, I press refresh, and it created 2 new partitions (recovery with 450mb and system with 260mb), then I select the unallocated partition (now 117.3gb) and press next again, it takes me to the installation screen with an error message that the partition couldn't be formatted due to an error in the preperation, i'm back to screen 1 of the setup where it says install now, press that, get back to the selecting partitions stuff and there are now 2 new partitions again (msr with 16mb and the rest is now allocated with 117.3gb) and i continue to get that last error, except when I delete all partitions in that menu, but then i'm in the same state as at the start of the post
    Sorry that this took so long, i was writing this as i did the steps to make sure to explain it correctly to you

Kekkzze, Jul 30, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Start again, and delete all partitions, and when all files have been copied and pc reboots for the first time, remove the usb drive, and it will carry on properly.

cereberus, Jul 30, 2016
  15. Kekkzze Win User
    If i try that it tells me "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
    Could it be that there is something wrong with the usb? I choose usb over dvd because i don't have any dvds at home i could write the iso on
    Or is it a problem with the ssd that it can't boot from that one?

Edit: could it be that the ssd is listed as disk 2 in diskpart and not disk 0? And if yes, how do i change that?

Kekkzze, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Installation problems on SSD - Similar Threads - Installation problems SSD

2. Problem installing used ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem installing used ssd: Is it possible to install a used SSD from my laptop into my new desktop because I tried and tried but still getting an error stating that it's possible has write protection on it and another error said there a conflict with I/O..I tried diskpart but the SSD doesn't show up...
  3. Problem installing used ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem installing used ssd: Is it possible to install a used SSD from my laptop into my new desktop because I tried and tried but still getting an error stating that it's possible has write protection on it and another error said there a conflict with I/O..I tried diskpart but the SSD doesn't show up...
  4. Win 7 installing SSD problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 installing SSD problem: As the subject said,my win 7 pc can't detect my newly installed Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD.I'm using MSI B365M Pro-VH board and its Bios can detect the SSD.I can't even see the SSD in Disk Management.I've tried many methods but none of them works :...
  5. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There was a problem installing windows on ssd: Hello, colleagues! Yesterday I installed win on my pc where I also have hdd with windows, but when installing when i had to format the partitions on ssd to put the system clean, the boot partition and system reserved with win on hdd were accidentally deleted. Do you have any...
  6. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There was a problem installing windows on ssd: Hello, colleagues! Yesterday I installed win on my pc where I also have hdd with windows, but when installing when i had to format the partitions on ssd to put the system clean, the boot partition and system reserved with win on hdd were accidentally deleted. Do you have any...
  7. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Installing windows to SSD problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows to SSD problem: I have a laptop with only hdd installed to it. It was very slow so i decided to install an ssd. I cloned the entire hdd to ssd and then shut down. After that i went to bios and change boot drive to ssd. Then, it bluescreened. Now i cant boot my laptop at all unless the ssd is...
  9. Problem with an Installation on new ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with an Installation on new ssd: The Device: Lenovo Thinkpad carbon x1 5th gen. The SSD: I upgraded a (compatible) from the 512 PCle ssd that came with it, to an M2 NVMe 1TB I used a re installation USB for Windows 10 I got on Amazon (Please don't judge me, I've had bad luck downloading installation...
  10. ssd problem installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd problem installing: hey everyone when i put this pc together i've built it with a m.2 950pro, install win10 from a usb, system is awesome. problem, i wanted to install the crucial for games, i know the m.2 shares pci-exp, but i've tried all the sata ports and new cables while using onboard...