Windows 10: Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks"

Discus and support Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have an off brand laptop computer, about 4 years old that had Windows 10 on it. Last week it stopped working and I got the PXE media test faillure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MotownMike, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks"

So I have an off brand laptop computer, about 4 years old that had Windows 10 on it. Last week it stopped working and I got the PXE media test faillure screen. After playing around in the BIOS, Aptio Setup Utility, I got as far as a black screen with "Reboot and Select proper boot device" screen. I tried everything, hit every key imaginable, and couldn't get it to recognize anything. I couldn't boot in Safe Mode and I couldn't get back to the Aptio Setup Utility either. Nothing. Finally, I loaded a Create WIndows 10 on a USB drive and plugged it in. After numerous reboots, the laptop recognized it and started marching me through the reinstallation process until I got to the:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

I've seen recommendations to hit Shift F10 and reconfigure the hard drive, but doesn't that wipe it clean as well as all of my data? Is there a way to correct the problem at this point without losing data?

Of note, I still have the WIndows Setup screen on my laptop so I can do the F10 thing, but I am not sure I can do anything else with this computer as I couldn't even get into the Aptio Setup Utility before this as well as anything else including Safe Mode.

:)

MotownMike, Dec 24, 2019

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Dec 24, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 24, 2019
  4. Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks"

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks"

1. Installation stuck at "WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks" - Similar Threads - Installation stuck installed

2. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  3. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  4. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style": [ATTACH] Hello everyone/anyone willing to help. I'll try to summarize everything as concisely as possible. (It'll be kinda all over the place sorry!) I have 3 storage drives. One 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 860, one Seagate 1TB HDD, and one 256GB M.2 SSD. The SSD I currently have...
  6. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  7. Windows 10 install reverts a GPT disk back to MBR

Windows 10 install reverts a GPT disk back to MBR: Having been frightened into ditching Windows 7 for Windows 10, I decided to buy a Western Digital 1TB SSD and perform a clean install of Windows 10 Pro using the MS Media Creation Tool onto a USB drive. I assumed that, as I was using a virgin SSD, Windows would default to...
  8. installing GPT disks in the right order

installing GPT disks in the right order: How do I install the GPT partitions in the right order? I am trying to install Windows 10 Pro. I keep getting the message that I am trying to install in the wrong order....
  9. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style: I want to install win 10 to my ASUS Laptop but when i selected disk or partition, windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style. How to install Win 10 in my Laptop, please and thank you ?...
  10. Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?

Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?: I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada yada; also I would like to get rid of the OEM softwares that have persisted till now). I got my current version of Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Installation stuck at WIndows can only be installed on GPT disks