Windows 10: Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

Discus and support Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Im trying to upgrade from win 7 to win10 getting error message: Installation unable to validate product key Thank you... [Moved from: Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GuyGiroux1, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

Im trying to upgrade from win 7 to win10 getting error message:

Installation unable to validate product key

Thank you...

[Moved from: Windows 10 / Licensing & activation]

:)

GuyGiroux1, Sep 20, 2018

2. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

I did not realise I had been at all vague, my apologies.

Unfortunately my neighbour now has his laptop back as I got nowhere. I have suggested he wait until the windows 10 upgrade system makes it available through windows update (it is in the queue).

As stated, I have tried running from the media created by the media creation tool to a USB (this is what I used to successfully upgrade my laptop and surface Pro). I have also run the media creation tool and opted for it to upgrade directly rather than save the files.

The operating system is Win7 Home premium OEM version. The key is valid and I re-validated it to be sure with the MS online actvation system. The laptop is 64-bit.

On each occasion it goes through the initial install steps and then gets to the screen where it asks for the product key.

On this screen there is no skip option and as the product key is not accepted, the only option is to cancel the install.

For some reason the upgrade seems to be taking a different path on this machine and does not give the skip option.

Regards
    Mike

mikepaterson, Sep 20, 2018
  3. yasainuki Win User
    Win7 to Win10 - Product key question

I'm just wondering if the product key I purchased years ago for Win7 will still be valid if I reserve Win10 and install it?

Say for example I want to have Win7 on my main studio PC (as I know all my DAWs and VST plugins work on there perfectly), but also run Win10 on my other machine, would that be possible from the same key? Or would I void the Win7 key as soon as I reserve
    and install Win10?

I rely on Win7 for work, so the last thing I want is to void my key for it.

I often reformat my system and I'd hate to do so then find out my Win7 key no longer works...

Thanks in advance!

yasainuki, Sep 20, 2018
  4. EliSherer Win User

Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

1. Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message - Similar Threads - Installation unable validate

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win7 product key not working for Win10

Win7 product key not working for Win10: Hi, I had Win7 liscence. Unfortually I format my laptop and Install Win10. But Win7 key is not working on Win10. Could you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-product-key-not-working-for-win10/07144e2a-95b6-472c-9211-4e01c2b43ac5
  6. Activation - lost after Win10 "refresh" - original Product Key was Win7, upgraded to Win10...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation - lost after Win10 "refresh" - original Product Key was Win7, upgraded to Win10...: Hi, can you help me with this please. I am running Win10 on an old laptop, which originally came with OEM Win7, certificate of authenticity attached from when I first bought this laptop. I did a Windows "refresh" to cure problems after recent update (couldn't fix via...
  7. Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

Error Message: Failed to validate the product key: I have been trying to recover my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite notebook computer. This computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and several years ago, when Win 10 was offered for free, I successfully installed Windows 10 on this machine. Recently, the...
  8. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...
  9. Upgraded PC win7 to win10 tried to install image activation not valid?

Upgraded PC win7 to win10 tried to install image activation not valid?: Hi I followed the sysprep tutorial and managed to download a windows 10 pro image before microsoft changed the link back to the image creation tool so I would have an install.wim file as apposed to the install.esd which normally comes with the image tool. I upgraded the PC...
  10. Using Win7 product key after upgrading to Win10?

Using Win7 product key after upgrading to Win10?: I'm wondering, if after upgrading a PC to windows 10, can I use the old Windows 7 product key to install windows 7 on another PC? 19592