Windows 10: Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver?

Discus and support Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm installing (Pro 64b) but have my W10 HDD from old system in the new build. Thinking it would overwrite (I have a backup). I think a "fresh install"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mustachio, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver?

I'm installing (Pro 64b) but have my W10 HDD from old system in the new build. Thinking it would overwrite (I have a backup). I think a "fresh install" is best, but it is asking if I want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom' install. Says Upgrade will copy my files, appls, etc.

It would be nice to just switch the key and anything else w/ recognize the new hardware but I think if this acts like an "Upgrade install" from W7 or W8 that I won't get as clean a set of W10 files written.

Which should I choose? Also, will I get to choose between build 1903 and 1909, released a few days ago? Is 1909 AOK? I believe only optional kbs are to worry about.

Thanks,

Mac

:)

Mustachio, Nov 11, 2019
  2. Barman58 Win User

1909 in the offing?

My thoughts on updating older revisions

The version being offered in the Autumn (fall) is to be mainly a bug fix, but some features may also be altered or added, Not as many as has been previously but it is more of a hybrid between a feature upgrade and a Bug Fix Update than a regular "Bug Fix Update"

I would have to assume that someone running an older revision of Windows 10 would be updated using just the installer for 1909, as I am assuming that the 1909 Download will be capable of installing to a bare disk, If the upgrade is through WU I would assume that the process would install the latest revision of all the changes from the Base install being upgraded

A totally forced manual install (Upgrade) of 1909, where Microsoft does not consider the system ready / suitable would possibly need a step by step approach installing the intermediate Revisions, correcting these, to work with the system, and then moving on to the next . In this case a fresh install would possibly be the best way, but may be rejected for the reasons for Microsoft deciding not to upgrade

Barman58, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    1909 in the offing?

No. I'm suggesting that to install 1909 first Setup installs 1903 (18362) then it switch on the 1909 (18363) features with the Enablement Package.

1909 is not a full Feature Update in the normal sense, this is the first Feature Update to be performed via a form of cumulative update. See my post #115

4. Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver?

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver?

1. Installation: Upgrade of custom. Plus should I 1909 ver? - Similar Threads - Installation Upgrade custom

2. Still on Ver 1909

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still on Ver 1909: My Windows 10 is still on 1909 i have tried dozens of times to install 20H2 but every time i do the mouse will not work and i have to navigate using the arrow keys. Device manager is empty void of all drivers and all Microsoft could offer was " buy another mouse" No drivers...
  3. Still on Ver 1909

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Still on Ver 1909: My Windows 10 is still on 1909 i have tried dozens of times to install 20H2 but every time i do the mouse will not work and i have to navigate using the arrow keys. Device manager is empty void of all drivers and all Microsoft could offer was " buy another mouse" No drivers...
  4. Still on Ver 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win10 ver 1909

Win10 ver 1909: Win ver 1909 is gone may2011 have never received a version update since. I see there is a new ver in October have not received any notice. Issue is I see there was a version between these 2. Can I just go to the latest version or need install the one between these two?...
  6. Win20 ver 1909

Win20 ver 1909: Win ver 1909 is gone may2011 have never received a version update since. I see there is a new ver in October have not received any notice. Issue is I see there was a version between these 2. Can I just go to the latest version or need install the one between these two?...
  7. Cannot upgrade to Win 10 ver 1909

Cannot upgrade to Win 10 ver 1909: I am currently running ver 1803 on an HP6030n with an AMD 64X2 4800+ processor. I have tried updating to ver 1909 numerous times and always get the message that windows could not configure some of my devices and goes back to ver. 1803. I have no external devices connected and...
  8. If ver.1909 is present should I not allow a 1908 Cumulative pending?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If ver.1909 is present should I not allow a 1908 Cumulative pending?: Windows 10 tablet. Looks like it has downloaded 1909 successfully and is installing it as I type. I see there is a 2020-02 Cumulative Update Pending for 1908. Would downloading this 1908 update undo settings that the 1909 version has worked? Thanks so much! jack ":-} 154577
  9. If ver. 1909 is present should I reject an 1908 update pending?

If ver. 1909 is present should I reject an 1908 update pending?: Well the title says it. Windows 10 tablet. Looks like it has downloaded 1909 successfully and is installing it as I type. I see there is a 2020-02 Cumulative Update Pending. Would downloading this 1908 update undo settings that the 1909 version has worked? Thanks so much!...
  10. ver 1909 mediapack

in Windows 10 Customization
    ver 1909 mediapack: where can i download windows mediapack for windows 10 pro ver 1909?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ver-1909-mediapack/1b3be6a4-dcbe-4ec2-9428-acc34e0fdc83

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i install feature update 1909