Windows 10: Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now.

Discus and support Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; MSI X99A Raider MB, Intel i7 6800 3.40 Processor. I decided to go with 10 pro when I recently installed a Samsung EVO 960 M2 SSD, previous to this I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Glenstr, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Glenstr Win User

Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now.

MSI X99A Raider MB, Intel i7 6800 3.40 Processor.

I decided to go with 10 pro when I recently installed a Samsung EVO 960 M2 SSD, previous to this I was using 10 Home Edition that is installed on a SATA3 SSD. I did the install from a bootable USB, which has the windows installation program on it.

When the 10 Pro was installed, it put a bootloader on the SSD with 10 Home Edition on it, and when I boot up I get a choice of the 2 windows versions, with it defaulting to the new Pro install.

I recently picked up a 1 TB sata SSD to replace the 500GB SSD that has 10 Home edition on it (as well as the boot loader) and when I changed them out found out my PC would not boot, so I had to swap them out again to start up my PC.

When I look at disk management I see that the M2 SSD has just one partition, unlike the SATA SSD with Home Edition on it which has recovery etc. partitions on it. (see image attached, disk 4 is 10 Pro, disk 2 is Home edition, both are GPT initialized)

I left the PC in dual boot in case I wanted to go back to some programs that I did not install on 10 Pro, but now I've decided I no longer need to boot from Home Edition and just want to replace that disk with the new 1TB SSD.

What do I need to do to the M2 SSD with 10 Pro on it so it will boot?

Thanks in advance..

Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now. [​IMG]

:)

Glenstr, Nov 21, 2018
  2. Tomgang Win User

M.2 SSD drive instalation

X58 + m.2 ssd is great. Its just so nice with an m.2 ssd. Fast boot, very responsive system even x58 benefits from it. For boot drive i am so done with sata ssd/hdd and m.2 dosent need sata or power cable.

Its really a shame that samsung droped legacy mode on there 960 series. Cause it works so well on 950 pro and i think there are alot of people out there that want a m.2 ssd in there old pc an With 950 pro its so easy to get to work with out the need for nvme driver or bios mods/third party software.

And its not that windows 10 is a ploblem cause it runs great on old systems like X58 aswell. Been doing it for 2 years now.

Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now. [​IMG]

Tomgang, Nov 21, 2018
  3. dual boot on m.2 ssd

thanks .

i will install windows 7 first then windows 10, so that newest boot maanager will add older version boot entry for win 7 .

now any bios tweaking like uefi settings in bios? i heard installation is triky in m.2 ssd.

MD ABIDALI, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now.

Windows 10 education won't install boot manager on m.2 SSD

Hello there, I have recently purchased a sandisk z400s m.2 ssd. I am having lots of trouble trying to make it a Bootable disk. I am running a fresh install of windows 10 education to this device and for some reason the boot manager is not being transfered,
    the OS will install, but will not boot from the m.2.

I have disconnected my two HDD for this also. I need assistance on bios settings needed to recognise and boot from the m.2 device. I can install windows 10 and its boot manager on the HDD, but it will not install the boot manager on the m.2

any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to cause some stress as yoy can imagine (I've been researching and tinkering for 5 hours now)

my motherboard set up is a z170 pro gaming, intel I5 6500 cpu, 8gb 2133mhz ddr4 ram, gtx 560 ti and a corsair 1000w psu. the drive I am currently trying to place the OS on is 256gb.

thanks

Barry

barryhendry, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now.

1. Installed 10 pro on M.2 SSD, want to boot from this drive only now. - Similar Threads - Installed pro SSD

2. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  3. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  4. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  5. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  6. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  7. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  8. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  9. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  10. Is M.2 ssd for laptop only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is M.2 ssd for laptop only: 1.Whether M.2 ssd is only for laptop or it is for PC also. 2. whether Intel i3 7th generation processor supports M.2 ssd. 3. If it is for PC also and If PC does not have slot for M.2 ssd then what is the cheapest way to use M.2 ssd in a PC which does not have slot. 167972