Windows 10: Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated.

Discus and support Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed a Western Digital Black 4 TB disk with the NTSF file system with the New Simple Volume. It replaced a Western Digital Blue 2 TB drive as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GGrimes1, Aug 8, 2019.

1. GGrimes1 Win User

Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated.

I installed a Western Digital Black 4 TB disk with the NTSF file system with the New Simple Volume. It replaced a Western Digital Blue 2 TB drive as the G drive. Ended up with a 2 TB disk and 1.6 unallocated. Please tell me how to fix this. I really don't know what I'm doing

:)

GGrimes1, Aug 8, 2019

2. large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

Hello,

Support for hard drives larger than 2 TB requires several features in your computer.

Please look at this article:

Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB -
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/258140...

It may be because your system is formatted as MBR, which means it can't recognise drives over 2tb properly. To overcome this, either use GPT or make two 2tb partitions on the 4tb hard drive.

Let me know if you have any questions

Mark St..., Aug 8, 2019
  3. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

Hi.

Hello! Surely the disk is partitioned in mbr.

In order for you to partition beyond 2 tb, the disk needs to be in gpt mode.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

Would you be so kind to say if this solved the problem?

JenniferCooper19, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated.

large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB and an unallocated partition of 1678 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything as all options presented when I right click
    are greyed out.

I know this has to have been presented before and I am sorry for the redundant entry but I was unable to locate a listing or a search box.

DarrenIrving1, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated.

1. Installed 4 TB disk, ended up with 2 TB disk and 1.6 TB unallocated. - Similar Threads - Installed disk ended

2. 1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32: I am trying to set up this drive so I can use it to record movies too. I have windows10 and do not have an option to format the drive. I tried to use AOMEI to format the drive. I have to have the drive set up as FAT32 or it is useless to me....
  3. 3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?: Combines storage capacity of everything on my network (which includes an 8 Tb server) is 14tb. I did shut down the server and checked properties again, same results. I've posted the results below. I have 150Gb of music files in the music folder. [ATTACH]...
  4. large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB and an unallocated partition of 1678 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything as all options presented when I right click are greyed out....
  5. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything....
  6. 3 TB Disk Allocation

3 TB Disk Allocation: I am having problems trying to allocate all of the space on a new 3 TB drive. When I installed windows 10 it installed the system files on the 500 GB SSD and allocated an additional 500 MB on Disc 0 (the 3 TB drive) for System Reserved. I have been able to create a New Volume...
  7. Cannot view area/data of hard drive above 2 TB of 4 TB hard drive

Cannot view area/data of hard drive above 2 TB of 4 TB hard drive: I had to uninstall Acronis True Image 2013 which seemed to be the issue with my Windows 10 64bit PC having many BSODs. Un-installing Acronis True Image 2013 meant that I lost the use of Acronis Extended Capacity Manager to make use of all of my Western Digital Black 4 TB hard...
  8. A 16 TB Samsung SSD

A 16 TB Samsung SSD: Source [img] At the Flash Memory Summit in California, Samsung has unveiled what appears to be the world's largest hard drive—and somewhat surprisingly, it uses NAND flash chips rather than spinning platters. The rather boringly named PM1633a, which is being...
  9. 3 tb hdd

3 tb hdd: Hello all, I have just installed my new WD 3TB drive into my system and everything seemed fine. I partitioned and formatted the drive without issue and went ahead loading it with my files etc. All seemed fine until I rebooted my system and now it wont boot up, In fact...
  10. Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB: Just after updating Windows 10 pro and decided to run Disk Cleanup and noticed that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Updates to clean, I read that this was a bug in previous builds and had been fixed or maybe not! I'm not in the Fast Ring or Insider Preview [img] [img]...