Windows 10: Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

Discus and support Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So while I was cleaning out my garage, I found an old 2TB HDD that I had used on an old system. I decided to install it in my new system, which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AdamVlahakis, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

So while I was cleaning out my garage, I found an old 2TB HDD that I had used on an old system. I decided to install it in my new system, which was running on a single 1TB SSD. I had built the system myself and installed Windows on the SSD, which didn't have any problems with just the one drive on it, when I connected the HDD, I wiped it and reformatted it so I can use it as a backup and storage for some of my larger files/folders. Now when I boot up my system, it tries to boot from the HDD, so I have to go into my motherboard BIOS and manually select the correct boot drive. How can I set up my system so it always boots from the proper drive without having to tell it in the BIOS?

:)

AdamVlahakis, Aug 22, 2019
  2. Dandel Win User

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Aug 22, 2019
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Aug 22, 2019
  4. Wile E Win User

Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

Yeah, but he's throwing OS X in there. Not quite as easy to do, but not all that hard. Manual configuration of GRUB is necessary.

Wile E, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

1. Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive - Similar Threads - Installed drive system

2. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  3. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  4. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Transfer installed programs from c drive to new system drive

Transfer installed programs from c drive to new system drive: Hi windows 10 on my PC is has has critical process died problem and its in restart loop.. I have tried startup repair and system restore both didn't work. Now I want want to install new windows in my secondary ssd . Please guide me after installing window on my secondary...
  6. New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity: I just picked up a new SSD for my system, and after copying everything over from my old hard drive, it now shows the same capacity and name as the old one as well. I know the name can be changed easily, however I’ve restarted the system multiple times and the new drive still...
  7. Laptop boots from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boots from wrong drive: I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up. I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter...
  8. Windows tries to boot from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows tries to boot from wrong drive: Good morning! A few months ago I replaced my original HDD with an SSD, which is now called Drive C: and contains the OS (Win 10). When I first did this I simply disconnected the HDD and Windows always booted from the new SSD without an issue. Recently I decided to...
  9. System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts

System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts: So I was booting Windows 10 from a drive labelled C: and all was well and good. Then I changed some parts around in my computer. Lo and behold, my computer is still booting the OS on C:, but from an unlabelled UEFI system partition on an external hard drive. Wat. I...
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...