Windows 10: Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key.

Discus and support Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So recently my motherboard broke down on me, which meant I had to buy a new one. I felt like it was a good time to upgrade some essentials on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by oskarhubner, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key.

So recently my motherboard broke down on me, which meant I had to buy a new one. I felt like it was a good time to upgrade some essentials on my desktop, so therefor I bought a new mobo, CPU as well as RAM. This meant I had to wipe my harddrives and install windows once again. Once the updates were done, it told me I needed to activate my Windows product key. Since I had wiped all my harddrives, there is now no way for me to extract the key from my old computer. On my microsoft account I can see my old computer, but there is no way to access the Windows production key.

What do I do from here?

Thanks in advance

:)

oskarhubner, Dec 8, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 8, 2019
  3. hoista Win User
    Downgrade to windows 10 home after motherboard change.. no product key

I had windows 10 home with existing product key, harddisks got fried.

I changed the motherboard, installed new harddrive, but accidentally installed windows 10 pro.

Can't activate home license on pro, but i can downgrade to home with an existing product key. Unfortunately, i don't know what the product key is.

I don't want to do another re-install.

moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

hoista, Dec 8, 2019
  4. Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key.

Move windows 10 product key to new HDD

I have a new SSD harddrive, that I installed windows 10 onto, I need to know how to move a product key from my SATA harddrive which has my old windows 10 operating system, the product key is legitimate and I wish to use it on the new SSD harddrive, is
    this possible?, what other solutions could I do

AndrewBarkerCTI, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key.

1. Installed a new motherboard and wiped my harddrives. Need to access my Windows 10 product key. - Similar Threads - Installed motherboard wiped

2. need to have my product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to have my product key: how do i get my product key for office 365 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-have-my-product-key/3d3ff98e-f3e6-4368-bebb-5eaf2f14e929
  3. New product key needed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New product key needed: My mate sold me his old laptop after he upfraded os from windows 8 to windows 10 pro. Now every time i turn on the laptop it asks for an activation key. Can i purchase the activation key on its own without buying the os software?...
  4. I need my product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need my product key: I put new keyboard in and need recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/2778917b-34af-429c-9939-a90f5f7820f7
  5. Where is my new Product Key

Where is my new Product Key: Hello Microsoft Community, I just purchased Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from the Microsoft store. It downloaded and installed fine. However, I was never given a Product Key. There is a purchase receipt in Order History but it does not contain a Product Key. Where can I find the...
  6. I need my product key

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need my product key: I cant find my product key. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/48b3d79b-80f5-411c-99f1-fdbb1e878572"
  7. Windows 10 install not accepting my product key

Windows 10 install not accepting my product key: Hello, I had a 6TB disk with multiple Windows 10 VMs on them. Restoring the VMs and trying to start, then connecting to them failed I decided to just rebuild the VMs I originally created the VMs, and saved each machine's name and key in a file. Today...
  8. I installed a new version of windows with new product key, I need to retrieve my old...

I installed a new version of windows with new product key, I need to retrieve my old...: I installed a new version of windows with new product key, I need to retrieve my old product key from my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-installed-a-new-version-of-windows-with-new/d14cb0b0-6d8c-4145-827b-1d8045428d67"
  9. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?: Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading online most people say that ill need a new product key but if i call customer support they should be able to help me. Now...
  10. Wipe harddrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wipe harddrive: How do I do a clean install of win 10? Do I format the harddirve and the install win 10 or is that wrong? Would the harddrive make the unit just shutoff and reboot ramdonly? Or will re-install windows cure the problem? Thanks 87681