Windows 10: Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files

Discus and support Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Yesterday I installed Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Win 10. I did a clean install and formatted the c drive. The night before, I copied all my media... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WilmariJooste, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files

Yesterday I installed Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Win 10. I did a clean install and formatted the c drive. The night before, I copied all my media and some other files over to a different drive. Now when I try to access them, some of the pictures and files can't be opened or copied over because I keep getting the "you require permission from Administrator" error. I've changed the security settings and have full Admin control, but the error persists. I've read that this is happening because the files/folders were created by a different admin (me on the previous OS). What I need to know is how I have to go about correcting this.

:)

WilmariJooste, Sep 5, 2018
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Sep 5, 2018
  4. Drone Win User

Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files

Remove an OS installation without removing files?

There's no way to keep files and delete OS without installing a new OS. You can create a new partition on that drive, drop your files there and format partition with OS.

Drone, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files

1. Installed an new OS and now I can't access or copy some files - Similar Threads - Installed can't access

2. new os instalation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new os instalation: HelloI´ve downloaded the installation tool, created a boot pen; installed win 10 in a new ssd i bought Kioxia Exceria 480gb; and altered the bios boot priorities for this new ssd ;when i restarted the computer, appears the message to introduce a boot cd and press start, as if...
  3. new os instalation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    new os instalation: HelloI´ve downloaded the installation tool, created a boot pen; installed win 10 in a new ssd i bought Kioxia Exceria 480gb; and altered the bios boot priorities for this new ssd ;when i restarted the computer, appears the message to introduce a boot cd and press start, as if...
  4. new os instalation

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE: I GOT A NEW wINDOWS cOMPUTER WITH 11HAD OLD COMPUTER WITH 10CAN'T ACCESS MY DRIVE FILES ON NEW COMPUTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-new-computer-now-cant-access-drive/f7011caa-433b-4d1e-9819-2289481d3d2e
  6. I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE: I GOT A NEW wINDOWS cOMPUTER WITH 11HAD OLD COMPUTER WITH 10CAN'T ACCESS MY DRIVE FILES ON NEW COMPUTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-new-computer-now-cant-access-drive/f7011caa-433b-4d1e-9819-2289481d3d2e
  7. Can't copy some files in a folder to my personal device.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't copy some files in a folder to my personal device.: Hi, I have a large collection of audio in a folder on my computer. I wanted to copy it to my phone. In this process, only 42 of the 107 audio tracks present are being copied. The rest aren't responding to the action at all. Drag and drop, copy/cut paste, nothing worked. It's...
  8. Can't install OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install OS: I created bootable usb and when i boot PC, the Lenovo logo appears and immediately shuts down and so on again, also i can work in BIOS for like 15 second. Lenovo L340 I5-8265U MX230...
  9. Files encrypted, can't copy or access them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files encrypted, can't copy or access them: A few days ago, I started having issues with my PC, apparently needed a fresh install by wiping out my drive and reinstalling windows. I managed to transfer all my files to my hard drive but now I cannot copy them back to the PC or access them, as for some reason they have...
  10. Copy OS to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copy OS to new HDD: Hi all, Installed 2nd larger HD, could you help with the easiest way to copy the current c drive including os to the new drive please. Many thanks Paul 104991