Windows 10: Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected

Discus and support Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I Installed fresh new 16GB of memory today, but only 8GB is used, even though Windows understands that 2 RAM slots are being used. I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Frappy, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Frappy Win User

Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected

So I Installed fresh new 16GB of memory today, but only 8GB is used, even though Windows understands that 2 RAM slots are being used.

I've been trying to fix this for 2 days now, no luck. I've even enabled the XMP profile in my BIOS but it's still 2400 MHz I have 2x8GB 3000 MHz

I've tested the RAM sticks individually, both of them work.

Specs:

CPU: i5-8600k

GPU: GTX 1660 Ti

MB: Z370P D3

RAM: 2x8GB HyperX 3000 MHz

Thanks in advance!

Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected 9946fd96-7584-4f56-8cb3-3b5857b1db34?upload=true.png

:)

Frappy, Mar 1, 2020

2. 16gb N9 but it shows 8gb in the memory menu.

My N9 16gb shows 8gb total memory available under memory menu. Is there another 8gb memory in other menu? cant find it

serex---01, Mar 1, 2020
  3. CountMike Win User
    Memory capping problem 16gb capping at 8gb

Look at Performance tab and Resource monitor > Memory, you'll see more detailed memory map.

Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected [​IMG]

CountMike, Mar 1, 2020
  4. ArthurJan Win User

Memory capping problem 16gb capping at 8gb

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, first time using the site but I need some help.

I am currently running a 16gb setup on my pc running windows10 and have a big problem. Every time I use applications that are memory heavy I run into an error making me close down the application or memory/file corruption or leakage may occur. However, if I check my task manager I can see that the memory usage is at 80% and only using around 8gb or less(I have actually added up the amount of space every single app have taken up manually and it was under 8gb while over 90%). I constantly have this problem and never browsed through task manager much before so I am not really sure when the problem arose.

Here are some screenshots showing my comp specs and a task manager screenshot

Thanks in advance if anybody replies!

ArthurJan, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Installed fresh new 16GB of memory, but only 8GB is detected - Similar Threads - Installed fresh 16GB

2. 16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64: have 16GB of RAM installed on my computer, but only 8GB is usable. I am running Windows 10 x64. I have tried the following steps to fix this issue, but they have not worked:I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.I have tried reseating the RAM modules.I have tried using...
  3. 16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64: have 16GB of RAM installed on my computer, but only 8GB is usable. I am running Windows 10 x64. I have tried the following steps to fix this issue, but they have not worked:I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.I have tried reseating the RAM modules.I have tried using...
  4. 16GB RAM only 8GB usable on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  6. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  7. Only Accessing 8gb of 16gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only Accessing 8gb of 16gb RAM?: TL;DR: I have a full 16gb RAM installed, but Windows only ever seems to use 8gb of it. Why? I've filled up all 4 DIMMs with some memory - 4gb per. Windows 10 identifies all 16gb in Task Manager, but only ever "uses" 8gb of it - never a single byte more. This is despite me...
  8. 16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.: i have tried everything, but half of my memory is hardware reserved. My Specs. Asus P7P55D Pro 16 gb ram overclocked to 2000mhz intel i5 750 GTX 650 ti https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/16gb-installed-only-8gb-usable/7f4fabea-013e-40b5-9a87-ed5af0a49926
  9. 16GB RAM, only 8GB usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    16GB RAM, only 8GB usable: [ATTACH] I'm new to these PC things so I'm sorry for the dumb question. I just got a gaming PC as a gift for christmas, and I checked everything (updates, etc.) and it seems everything was fine, until I checked the RAM, it says 16GB installed but only 7.95 GB usable, it...
  10. Memory capping problem 16gb capping at 8gb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory capping problem 16gb capping at 8gb: Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, first time using the site but I need some help. I am currently running a 16gb setup on my pc running windows10 and have a big problem. Every time I use applications that are memory heavy I run into an error making me...