Windows 10: Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English

Discus and support Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A few days ago, I installed the Japanese language pack (as I had also done on Win 7 with no problems) on Windows 10 Pro. I do this so I have a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by M A Weiss, Jan 5, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English

A few days ago, I installed the Japanese language pack (as I had also done on Win 7 with no problems) on Windows 10 Pro. I do this so I have a few Japanese options that I sometimes need. On Windows 7, I could switch back and forth by clicking on the taskbar and selecting language. On Windows 10 Pro, I rebooted this morning and now the whole interface is in Japanese and I can go into language settings and click on English, reboot, but it still comes up in Japanese.

As a desperate measure, I deleted the Japanese language pack and rebooted, but I'm still in Japanese.

I simply wanted to ADD the language, but not make it the default.

My Japanese reading skills are not great, so reversing the process is quite difficult. How do I set English as default when it ignores my request? English is set at the top of the stack of languages, too.

:)

M A Weiss, Jan 5, 2019
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

I have just reinstalled my PC with Japanese Windows (it's the only way to enable the full use of a Japanese keyboard - special keys etc.). However, I want my system language to be English (menus etc.). So far I have tried the following:

Settings:
    Installed English language pack
    Made English default language

Power menu (not sure of proper name - win_key-x):
    Tried to switch language to English but does not appear in the menu.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Kari Win User

Changing the display language of a user account does not change Windows system language. Some items in Start, device names, notifications, dialog and error messages remain in system (install) language.

To change system language, you need first install a language pack. In this example I have downloaded and installed Swedish language pack in originally English (EN-GB) Windows 10 PRO version 1703 wanting to change system language to Swedish. Next step is to run Sysprep (Windows System Preparation Tool).

To do that, first close all open applications. Press WIN + R to open Run dialog, type following command and press Enter or click OK to run it:

%windir%\system32\Sysprep\Sysprep /oobe /reboot

Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English [​IMG]

(Notice: above command can also be run from Command Prompt instead of Run.)

Sysprep will now prepare Windows for OOBE (Windows Welcome):

Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English [​IMG]

When done Windows will restart and after a minute or two will start OOBE (Windows Welcome) as if this was a new PC started first time. You can now select a new system (install) language, setup listing all installed languages including original install language plus all installed language packs, in my case now original English and Svenska (Swedish). I select Swedish and click Yes (Ja in Swedish):

Same screen in English:

Setup goes through Windows Welcome, asking your region, keyboard layout and such. You also have to create a user account. Notice that you cannot use any existing user accounts, in screenshot here I have tried to use username but as that account already existed when I run Sysprep, system does not accept it. In my example case now system tells me "Ange ett annat användarnamn" (In English: Use another username):

Same screen in English:

Instead of using any existing username (including possible existing Microsoft, domain or Azure AD accounts) I will create a temporary local account Dummy and when signed in to desktop, sign out from that account, sign in with my original account (local, Microsoft, domain or Azure AD account) and finally remove the Dummy account.

That's it. Now the system language has been completely changed. All existing user accounts and installed software remain intact.

Kari, Jan 5, 2019
  4. TokyoMike Win User

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Installed Japanese Language Pack, Rebooted, Now I can't Switch to English - Similar Threads - Installed Japanese Language

2. I can't download a English language pack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't download a English language pack: I am trying to download a English language pack for my windows LTSC but it is all in Chinese and I keep getting error0x80070002 when I run trouble shoot it is all in Chinese and I can't read it pls help...
  3. Japanese language pack will not install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese language pack will not install: Only the japanese language pack will not install, every other language pack will install but it always comes back with the error that it couldn't be installed and that I should try again later, I also got the error code 0x80070490 and I have tried to solve it but it just will...
  4. Japanese language pack will not install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese language pack will not install: Only the japanese language pack will not install, every other language pack will install but it always comes back with the error that it couldn't be installed and that I should try again later, I also got the error code 0x80070490 and I have tried to solve it but it just will...
  5. Japanese Language Pack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese Language Pack: I encountered these errors when trying to install the Japanese Language Pack: I've waited and retried repeatedly, but get the same error. My OS is: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Education Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 Would appreciate your help please. [ATTACH]...
  6. Can't install japanese language pack in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install japanese language pack in Windows 10: Hello I'm MelonMidi245 Can someone explain this and give me answer why i can't install japanese language pack in Windows 10 This is when install with offline Also i can't install with online , always loading when downloading Please help me where the problem , Thank you...
  7. Can't install Japanese Language pack on Win10

Can't install Japanese Language pack on Win10: I'm having an issue installing the Japanese language pack. It keeps saying that the language pack cannot be acquired, and showing an error message: 0x80240004. I tried multiple ways and none worked. How can I solve this issue?...
  8. Japanese Language Pack

Japanese Language Pack: Japanese Language Pack - We have tried everything the screens prompts us to do with no luck. Cannot toggle between alpha, hiragana or katakana. All we get is Alpha. Also it says proofing is not installed but we cannot find a way to download it....
  9. japanese language pack

japanese language pack: Japanese language pack download offline setup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-language-pack/33753296-125a-4953-8d0d-02dfc478d816
  10. language: japanese to english

in Windows 10 Support
    language: japanese to english: I accidentally upgrade my windows 8 to windows 10 while in Japanese I want everything back in English I already tick regional language ,language settings and system locale my clock settings and keyboard are fine now but the system language is still in Japanese.. [img]...