Windows 10: Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved

Discus and support Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 64-bit windows 10 desktop with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory that I built about nine years ago. A week ago I purchased more memory (2x2GB) of the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shobuddy, Mar 1, 2018.

1. shobuddy Win User

Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved

I have a 64-bit windows 10 desktop with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory that I built about nine years ago. A week ago I purchased more memory (2x2GB) of the same brand/model/specs to bring the total up to 8GB but when I installed it, windows said 8GB is installed but only 4GB is usable. Furthermore, bios only recognized the 4GB. I removed the two new ones memory sticks that I purchased and went back to 4GB I originally had and Windows then said 4GB installed and only 2GB usable. The bios also recognized only 2GB. I tried reseating the DIMMS with several combinations and it now says 8GB installed with 6GB usable (again, BIOS only recognizes 6GB). So each time BIOS is only recognizing what Windows says is usable, not what Windows says is installed. I have a dedicated GPU. Resource Monitor shows 2GB is "hardware reserved". I'd for all 8GB to be usable, not just the 6GB.

Heres what I've tried so far:
    1. msconfig memory limits is unchecked.
    2. a fresh install of Windows
    3. reflashed BIOS (I was already on the latest version)
    4. Ran "Speccy" software and it reads all four DIMMS
    5. Checked for any RAM management settings in BIOS but there are none. Motherboard manual URL below http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/M...x58-ud3r_e.pdf
    6. All DIMMS have been tested individually and work fine.
    7. Ran Memtest86 for 23 hours and it produced zero errors.
    8. Tried both fail-safe and opimized default settings in BIOS.
    There are other things I tried that I can't think of off the top of my head. Any thoughts/input would be great.

Components:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813128375
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0666CL9D-4GBNQ

Specs:
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 65 °C
    Bloomfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (8-8-8-20)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. EX58-UD3R (Socket 1366) 35 °C
    Graphics
    SyncMaster (1920x1200@59Hz)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (EVGA) 60 °C
    Storage
    111GB Crucial_CT120M500SSD1 (SSD)
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 (SATA) 33 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4482 ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

:)

shobuddy, Mar 1, 2018
  2. JonBois Win User

memory upgrade in windows 10

Original Title: memory upgrade

upgraded memory from 2 gbs to 6 gbs windows 10 shows 6 gb installed only 2.62 gb usable. task mgr shows 3.4 gb hardware reserved. what does this mean?

JonBois, Mar 1, 2018
  3. premasai Win User
    RAM is lesser than acually installed

In my dell inspiron laptop I have 4gb of ram installed but 2.39 gb is only available to use. checking with resource monitor it shows hardware reserved memory for 1651 mb. when I added 2 more gb it shows the same 2.39 usable out of 6 gb ram. give me a
    solution.

premasai, Mar 1, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

Could be, that one memory stick is bad. Pull new sticks out, one by one and see if there will 6 GB in one occasion and 4+2 in other.

There could be a problem with memory slot too..

One more thing: put same sticks (you have 2 old and 2 new) in every second slot (slots 0, 1, 2 and 3 -> pairs should be in 0 - 2 and in 1 - 3)

AndreTen, Mar 1, 2018
  5. stormy13 Win User
    stormy13, Mar 1, 2018
  6. Or it could be the problem with the CPU or mobo pins that are bent. I've seen some users who own an x58 system have that issue and so far they fixed it by unbenting the pins. To be honest, the board and cpu a re so sensitive to pressure...maybe thats why you had this problem. Anyway, I'd reccomend doing what stormy and AndreTen suggested first.

RyougaLolakie, Mar 2, 2018
  7. shobuddy Win User
    I'm starting to suspect this since I've tried everything else. So Windows would recognize the 8GB installed even though the pins are bent? I figured if the pins are bent, it would only recognize and use what it can see but its seeing 8GB and saying only 6GB is usable.

shobuddy, Mar 2, 2018
  8. Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved

PolarNettles, Mar 2, 2018
  9. Yeah, I used to own an x58 system that does this after my bro-in-law reinstalled the cpu cooler. After that, it does the reboot thing three times (it said Detecting Dram Settings) then it finally booted. Kinda sad that the mobo was flawed because of that the pins are bent. :/

RyougaLolakie, Mar 2, 2018
  10. Most probably, it's being shared by graphics

rockyanexpert, Mar 2, 2018
  11. Helmut Win User
    It is 9 years old so some of the hardware has probably gone out of spec, pretty much EOL.
    I went through that lot on mine that was 10 years old, swapping out memory modules as they weren't being recognised properly, cleaning sockets, modules, swapping out with spares etc. Then problems started to appear with USB stuff. I reckon the MCH/Chipset had pretty much died. So that was it, a dead MOBO.

There can also be differences in current production RAM Modules compared to the older ones enough to cause problems.

Helmut, Mar 2, 2018
  12. shobuddy Win User
    shobuddy, Mar 2, 2018
  13. shobuddy Win User

I have a dedicated graphics card and see nothing in BIOS where I can verify its not being shared by graphics card. BIOS only recognizes the "usable" memory that Windows detects, not the "installed" memory that Windows detects.

shobuddy, Mar 2, 2018
  14. shobuddy Win User
    I checked the CPU and MB pins and they look good to me. I've uploaded some pics to dropbox at the link below because I wanted to include the original high-res pics. Please let me know if you see any issues because I know even a slight bend in the pin can cause the issue.
    Also, I didn't have any thermal grease so I put back the CPU as it was. There was a little bit of the original paste on there. Hope this doesn't cause an issue!
    Dropbox - CPU

shobuddy, Mar 2, 2018
  15. shobuddy Win User
    I ran "Speccy" diagnostic on the memory in below is a screenshot. You can see from the numbers which are the pairs. Anything in the number discrepancy between the pairs that would cause an issue. Even so, its odd that three of the modules would be usable. I would expect both the two new ones not to be usable, not just one?

Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved [​IMG]

shobuddy, Mar 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Installed memory: 8GB (6GB usable) - 2 GB is Hardware Reserved - Similar Threads - Installed memory 8GB

2. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  3. 8GB Installed, 6GB Usable???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8GB Installed, 6GB Usable???: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 3 with 8GB of ram but only 6GB is usable... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/8gb-installed-6gb-usable/fa597015-e09f-4747-b274-82128dc78d92
  4. 8GB Installed, 6GB Usable???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8GB Installed, 6GB Usable???: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 3 with 8GB of ram but only 6GB is usable... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/8gb-installed-6gb-usable/fa597015-e09f-4747-b274-82128dc78d92
  5. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  6. Hardware reserved memory!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware reserved memory!: First I need o say that I use windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB ramAsus ZenBook, UX431DA! I said all that information because I tried to do all from Flash my BIOS, Edit somethind in regedit or msconfig, and runned maintenance task! I have 8 gb ram 2x4 and...
  7. Hardware Reserved memory at 2.1 GB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hardware Reserved memory at 2.1 GB: [ATTACH] Guys I need help I need to disable my integrated gpu Cos I believe it is occupying my ram My specs HP Laptop 8 GB ram Amd r5 3550h integrated Vega 8 gfx 2 GB Nvidia gtx 1650 4gb I've tried all methods in msconfig(max memory), regedit(clearcache) , my HP bios...
  8. Hardware Reserved Memory

Hardware Reserved Memory: Hello everyone, my computer specs are as follows: AMD FX 8350 CPU ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard AMD Radeon R200 270X Gskill 2x8gb 1600hz RAM I have 64 bit Windows 10 pro OS I have the problem that makes half of my RAM 4.1 GB to be exact hardware reserved and cannot be...
  9. Installed Memory RAM 8.00 GB 5.92 GB usable

Installed Memory RAM 8.00 GB 5.92 GB usable: I can not use all my ram on my computer. I tried so many things and its not helping. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-memory-ram-800-gb-592-gb-usable/083a1e7a-3049-462b-a3ac-aa460e627858
  10. "hardware reserved" memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "hardware reserved" memory.: Recently booted up my pc after a bios reset (computer blue screened) and I noticed a lack in performance compare to my computer's normal speed. Looked in task manager and it is classing 8gb of my 16 that's installed as "hardware reserved". I'd like to know why this is, what I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2 gb hardware reserved memory

2. 2gb of 8gb hardware reserved

3. ram memory is showing only 6gb and 2gb hardware reserved

4. from 8gb 6gb usable vega 8