Windows 10: Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...

Discus and support Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I'm in a bit of a pickle. So, a weird glitch happened to my laptop which basically erased the maximum gigabytes by about 50--it's a long story and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kitten-versus-world, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...

Hi! I'm in a bit of a pickle. So, a weird glitch happened to my laptop which basically erased the maximum gigabytes by about 50--it's a long story and cut short, I ended up just putting in my old SSHD drive to compensate for the lost memory. At first it boot up to that drive and it worked wonderfully as it's from my old laptop and has the file system on it. I edited the BIOS to boot up to my original SSD. Now the SSHD is my drive D.

And...yeah. That's where I ran into a problem. While I can see some of what's on D it's read-only, and appears to be locked. I figure this is because I put a lock on the laptop where the SSHD came from, but...seeing as though I know the password, shouldn't I be unable to unlock drive D?

If worse comes to worst I guess I could brute force the hard drive by formatting it after uploading some of the rest of the files to the cloud. But, is there any way to fix this?

PS: Yeah I did search for a solution to this and just went down a long labyrinth. There's actually not one clear answer involving a person who installs their old laptop's hard-drive as the back-up drive on their new laptop...and who has the password.

:)

Kitten-versus-world, Apr 4, 2020
  2. little cat, Apr 4, 2020
  3. dhdude Win User
    Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't... :)

dhdude, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Jacee Win User

Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...

Is there any Browser locking software to lock down browsers?

Read this about Firefox ....... How do I lock my Firefox browser?

Steps To Lock Mozilla Firefox With A Password

• Open Mozilla Firefox, click on Tools -> Add-ons.
    • An Add-ons window will appear with a search box. ...
    • At the top of all, you will see Master Password+ add-on. ...
    • After installing, it will ask you to restart the browser.
    • After restarting, you will see a lock icon in the address bar.
    Nov 24, 2018

How To Lock Mozilla Firefox And Chrome With A password ...

https://www.techuntold.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener">

Jacee, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...

1. Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't... - Similar Threads - Installed old hard

2. I have my hard drive in a bitlocker...and forgot the password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have my hard drive in a bitlocker...and forgot the password: Oppsie Daisy's It updated the bios and I can restart my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-my-hard-drive-in-a-bitlockerand-forgot-the/fdb7b764-69e2-46ed-8bb6-0a499d993a11
  3. I have my hard drive in a bitlocker...and forgot the password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have my hard drive in a bitlocker...and forgot the password: Oppsie Daisy's It updated the bios and I can restart my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-my-hard-drive-in-a-bitlockerand-forgot-the/fdb7b764-69e2-46ed-8bb6-0a499d993a11
  4. I have my hard drive in a bitlocker...and forgot the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I anciently "Locked" my hard drive and can't access it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I anciently "Locked" my hard drive and can't access it: I got a new hard drive and decided to merge the partitions of the old one with MiniToolPartition wizard, but after I did the file was locked for some reason and whenever I try to open it, it gives me this message "The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with...
  6. Drive D locked on read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive D locked on read only: All folders on drive D are set to read only and I can't change it. Even with admin priv in command prompt it wont delete. I've set full access for everyone in security. Even if I make a new folder in drive D, I immediately can't delete it. Files seem ok though. How can I get...
  7. how do I change old docs that have "read only"

how do I change old docs that have "read only": how to remove "read only" from old documents before purchasing microsoft 365? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-old-docs-that-have-read-only/a6b1b0c0-d09a-470c-b6da-1ec9d09ed7d8
  8. All partitions on my hard drives are read only

All partitions on my hard drives are read only: All partitions on my hard drives are read only. Any new Folder I create is automatically read only. I have checked security permission and all users have full control. When I click on a folder and remove the check in the read only box and apply, the system goes through the...
  9. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

I have lost permissions to my only hard drive: My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me. I think It's a acer aspire 5742Z, the specs are the same and looks pretty much the same. So the computer is slow and I wanted to reset it to...
  10. Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only

Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only: I recently discovered that all files and folders have become read only on both my internal drives and i don't know why. Furthermore any attempt to change them back has no effect. I have tried changing the user permissions and ensuring i have admin privileges but none of this...