Windows 10: Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

Discus and support Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mpooley, Jul 13, 2021.

1. mpooley Win User

Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then took out the Sabrent adapter and switched the new WD 1TB to the disk 0 position taking out the old system drive. When I booted up the EUFI recognised the drive and the windows boot manager on it and tried to boot into it. But I get a hardware error something like ' check for any new hardware' etc Tested it many times still wont work. So I put the Old 250mb Nvme ssd into the Sabrent adapter and put that into its PCIE slot. So now both drives are back in but in different positions. I did this to prove whether it was the drive or the adapter that was causing the problem. The PC does now boot but even though the first boot option is the new 1TB ssd it skips that and boots the the old system on the 250gb ssd. It does show the New 1TB drive in file manager though so both drives are working and so is the new Sabrent adapter. All I can think of is that the boot manager was not cloned properly? How I cloned the old 250gb drive: I used Macrium Reflect 7 Using the clone tool I removed the boot partion from the new 1TB drive and then dragged the old boot partition to the destination drive, then i did the same with the windows partition. I then increased the partition size on the new clone to near max size leaving 2mb clears space and the i dragged the other 2 partitions from the old drive to the new. It is a GPT drive so that was why it had 4 partitions. Can anyone advise what I did wrong or what I have forgotten to do? thanks Mike

:)

mpooley, Jul 13, 2021
  2. pbftvt Win User

M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence.

Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact partition sequence, sizes, and UUIDs.

Linux partition needed minor tweaks to /etc/fstab due to the device names being different (/dev/nvme0n1px vs. /dev/sdax), but boots fine.

The disk is GPT, and I believe the original Windows 10 was UEFI - the Linux installation definitely was.

Boot sequence brings up Linux 'grub' menu first. Choosing the EFI partition then brings up Windows EFI boot menu. Fresh Windows install (see below) boots fine from here, old install fails.

Attempts at solution: I did a fresh Windows install in a spare partition and it boots fine. Using the new Windows installation, I've edited the BCD entry for my original Win 10 install. I have
    the correct BCD device, osdevice, and path.

Questions:

• What else needs to be done to make Windows boot again?
    • Are there any config file or registry changes that need to be made to account for the SATA to NVME move?
    • How do I see boot error messages for a UEFI boot failure? No errors displayed and no log files that I can find in Windows or EFI partitions...

pbftvt, Jul 13, 2021
  3. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Jul 13, 2021
  4. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

Re-installing windows 10 on new NVMe SSD

I am about to upgrade my HP laptop with a NVMe SSD. My laptop came with pre-installed windows 10 Home Single language in HDD.

I want to install windows 10 into NVMe SSD. I like to know the safest process involved to do so. I went trough some website suggesting to use third party software to clone the OS , do some changes in BIOS setting. Can I just make a recovery USB from recovery
    drive in windows and then boot the laptop and install OS in NVMe and format the C drive in HDD? OR is there any other way ?

GAUTHAM KUMAR MOKA, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

1. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot - Similar Threads - Installed Nvme drive

2. Cloned windows 10 to NVME SSD, won't boot. Error: Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned windows 10 to NVME SSD, won't boot. Error: Inaccessible boot device: Boot device 1tb SSD not showing when I try to install windows 10 after I cloned https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cloned-windows-10-to-nvme-ssd-wont-boot-error/f085478f-ef7d-40b2-85d1-7515b4090cf6
  3. Cloned windows 10 to NVME SSD, won't boot. Error: Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned windows 10 to NVME SSD, won't boot. Error: Inaccessible boot device: Boot device 1tb SSD not showing when I try to install windows 10 after I cloned https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cloned-windows-10-to-nvme-ssd-wont-boot-error/f085478f-ef7d-40b2-85d1-7515b4090cf6
  4. Cloned windows 10 to NVME SSD, won't boot. Error: Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...: So, I cloned my old nvme SSD to my new one. I only had one slot and the old drive was only about 120 gb with the new one being about 1tb. Everything cloned over fine, the OS, etc. It's just it keeps trying to locate the old drive C instead of the new one E. Disk 2 is the old...
  6. Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10): I cloned my C drive onto a USB external drive (J) with Macrium, choosing Clone. As shown, this was done, and I had an extra 240GB free. But my computer won't boot when I select both the USB 3 drive option, and also when I select the USB Widows Boot option. What have I done...
  7. Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another: Hi All, I have a rather interesting issue and all of the researching and trouble shooting steps have not produced any different results so I'm trying here to see if anyone has had the same experience. Here's what I've tried. Backed up a 500gb nvme m.2 drive to internal...
  8. Cloning NVME's with Windows 10 installed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning NVME's with Windows 10 installed: I intend to take an existing nvme complete with Windows 10 and duplicate it (using a nvme duplicator hardware device) onto 5 new nvme's and install those duplicated nvme's into 5 new pc's. My question relates to activation/registration. Is it safe to assume that as long as I...
  9. M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot: Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence. Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact...
  10. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...