Windows 10: Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM

Discus and support Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I tried to install 16 GB of RAM to my computer, instead of the initial 8 I had. But when I add the new RAM in total 4x4 GB of RAM,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Spooyler, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Spooyler Win User

Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM

Hello everyone,

I tried to install 16 GB of RAM to my computer, instead of the initial 8 I had. But when I add the new RAM in total 4x4 GB of RAM, and they are the same kind. the installed RAM increases to 16 but the total physical RAM hence the total usable RAM remains 8 GB.

I want to point out, I am NOT talking about available physical memory, but TOTAL, compared to installed.

Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM e8d7ca45-9c99-40cb-9ccd-5988e37745a3?upload=true.png

Sorry the system is not English, but this is a screenshot from System properties so the titles follow each other the same way.

I have a 64-bit Win 10, so that is not the issue.

BIOS sees all four modules, and there is no indication that the GPU uses the extra memory.

Tried to change the paging file size, but didn't help.

I am at a loss. Especially because only appears over 8 GB of memory, no matter which module goes into which socket.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Matt

:)

Spooyler, Jan 1, 2020

2. msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect

I have 8GB of Physical RAM installed upon my PC (2 slots of 4GB cards), and 7936MB setup for the Paging file size.

msinfo is showing:

Code:
    [b]Installed Physical Memory (RAM)[/b]
    [b]12.0 GB    <--- ?????[/b]Total Physical Memory
             8.00 GB  <-- CorrectAvailable Physical Memory  5.90 GB  Total Virtual Memory         15.7 GB <-- Correct  Available Virtual Memory        13.7 GB
    Why is the "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)" showing up as 12.0 GB?

Unfortunately, it's also the figure being shown on "Control Panel\System and Security\System" "Installed memory (RAM):" - which is where I usually go to view memory configuration for a PC, but just happened to notice this "change" following a recent pushed
    update.

I've tried Googling for an answer but keep coming up with different scenarios which dont explain the change I am seeing... it was correct before, and is correctly shown on another of my PC's running Windows 10... so what could possibly be causing this discrepancy
    ?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock

BaseBoard Product G41C-GS

ANoviceUser, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Roan T Win User
    Where is my RAM?

Hi,

Cache stored on Windows
    10 restricts your PC
    from working efficiently. If there is a continuous and high volume of cached read requests from any process or from any
    driver, the working set (the number of memory pages in the physical RAM)
    size of the system file cache will grow to meet this demand.
    The system file cache consumes the physical RAM. Therefore, sufficient
    amounts of physical RAM are not available for other processes.

On 64-bit versions of Windows operating systems, the size of the virtual address range is typically larger than
    the physical RAM. In this situation, the working set for the system file cache can increase to consume most of the physical RAM.

We suggest that you clear caches on your Windows 10 computer to resolve memory usage issues. Few things that you
    can try clearing are the Windows Store and Temp Files caches. Check out the steps below:

How to clear the Windows Store cache:

• Press
      Windows + R keys to open a
      Run prompt.

• Type
      WSReset.exe
      into the text box, then click
      OK.

How to clear the Temp Files cache:

• Open the
      Start menu.

• Type
      Disk Cleanup, then
      press Enter.

• Under the
      Disk Cleanup tab, uncheck all boxes except for
      Temporary Files, then click
      OK.

Hope the above information helps.
    Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Roan T, Jan 1, 2020
  4. prashii Win User

Windows shows 8GB RAM installed but 4GB RAM is usable

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my pc from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. Windows seems to have detected this upgrade but why does it show as only 4GB RAM available. The following is what I have tried so far with no luck:

• I have tried the msconfig method on ensuring maximum memory is not checked.
    • physically removed the new RAM and reinstalled it
    Any thoughts/suggestions on how i can resolve this matter?

Thanks

prashii, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM - Similar Threads - Installed physical RAM

2. How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?: Hello, recently I have noticed I have not been using fully my physical ram. In total i have 16GB, but actually i am using only upto 8GB. I would like to change that number to at least 12-14GB, or to fully use my 16GB RAM. System information: https://i.imgur.com/9heXoKQ.png...
  3. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM': Hello, Today I lauched a Forza Horizon for the first time in a while and it crashed after just passing the initial start screen before loading into the game. After closing the game I attempted again to lauch, same issue although thistime my google chrome crashed with it. I...
  4. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM': Hello, Today I lauched a Forza Horizon for the first time in a while and it crashed after just passing the initial start screen before loading into the game. After closing the game I attempted again to lauch, same issue although thistime my google chrome crashed with it. I...
  5. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing PHYSICAL RAM..: Hi! Stumped here. I have Win 10 running on an ASUS board with 4 Gig installed memory. Want to add additional 4 Gig of exact Manufacturer memory specs. Memory checks out when tested. Windows 10 will start with no problems using either set of 4 Gig packs but will not get past...
  7. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

Installing PHYSICAL RAM..: Hi! Stumped here. I have Win 10 running on an ASUS board with 4 Gig installed memory. Want to add additional 4 Gig of exact Manufacturer memory specs. Memory checks out when tested. Windows 10 will start with no problems using either set of 4 Gig packs but will not get past...
  8. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installed vs Total RAM

Installed vs Total RAM: I have recently upgraded my RAM from 2x8gb using two slots to 4x8gb RAM. The models used are identical. However my system only uses half of my RAM. In BIOS I see all 32GB installed. Here is my system info.I have tried the most common suggested solution change the boot memory...
  10. physical ram is lower than my total amount of ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    physical ram is lower than my total amount of ram: so i have just got my laptop today sorry for my bad grammar and punctuation but okay so my laptop i just got today has a few problems but the ones im worried about is the audio and ram thing so my ram [ATTACH] its say in my ram info too that only 5.91 is usable so how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installed physical memory vs total physical