Windows 10: Installed program not on any of the default lists

Discus and support Installed program not on any of the default lists in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have installed an update to InDesign (CC 2017 from CC 2015) and the program works fine. However, I cannot open files by default with it. I tried all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NIRC, Nov 12, 2016.

1. NIRC Win User

Installed program not on any of the default lists

I have installed an update to InDesign (CC 2017 from CC 2015) and the program works fine. However, I cannot open files by default with it.
    I tried all 7 options given in the Windows forum (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option1) but CC 2017 didn’t show up on any of them! It does show up in the apps list at the Start menu, and that is where I start it from.
    Incidentally, I did this after the latest Windows update (version 1607 KB3200970).

:)

2. HairyFool Win User

Default List of Programs

Windows 10 includes a PDF printer.

Just print your report as if sending to a paper printer then switch the printer from default to Microsoft Print to PDF.

Windows 10 introduces a new annoyance where the last used printer is made default. Therefore having used Print to PDF then next time you want to print the default may have changed. To prevent this happening go to Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and
    Scanners. Turn off Let Windows manage my default printer.

HairyFool, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Default List of Programs

I don't see quickbooks on the default list for making pdf's. I have made pdf's in the same quickbooks program before, but after loading Windows 10 this and a lot of other things have gotten messed up.

Any ideas on how to get pdf's out of quickbooks?

Thanks

BT

RobertTrautmann, Nov 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 12, 2016
  5. NIRC Win User
    Unfortunately, none of the solutions your link points to (or the others on the link I pointed to) are any help because—as I wrote—the program simply does not show up on the lists.
    A friend across the hall just discovered that he has the same problem after updating the same program.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, did you look down at the section starting
    Resolving the issue

"
    This option loads a file browser that you use to select the executable file manually on the system. It enables you to select portable programs and programs not listed by Windows in the Settings menu."

If you can select portable programs with no registry entries that have not registered themselves with Windows as capable of handling certain extensions or protocols, you should be able to set yours as default for the file types you wish it to handle.

dalchina, Nov 12, 2016
  7. NIRC Win User
    This is the strangest part. When I go and click on the program, it opens another program (the current default). Just for now, I went into the registry and changed the location for the file manually, which is a temporary fix.

8. dalchina New Member

Example: change aac from WMP to Winamp manually

Installed program not on any of the default lists [​IMG]

Do you see the same sort of thing? (Ok mine will have minor appearance differences)

Sure you can do this directly in the registry, and some solutions are posted e.g. for Iron Browser. The GUI is a front end to that.

But I'm not sure what it is you're seeing.. screenshot?

dalchina, Nov 12, 2016
  9. NIRC Win User
    Thanks for your patience. No, I did see just what you did, but when I click on the right program (the one in the CC 2017 folder), the wrong program (same name, but in the CC 2015 folder) opens. Odd, right?

10. dalchina New Member
    Seems unexpected if doing that doesn't change the default. You could try setting it to a completely different program (unrelated) then to your 2017 version.....

dalchina, Nov 12, 2016
  11. NIRC Win User
    I can no longer do this, since I have fixed the registry to change the defaults. I suspect there is something wrong with Adobe, since it was after reinstalling CC 2015 on top of CC 2017 that the problems began.

Thema:

1. Installed program not on any of the default lists - Similar Threads - Installed program default

2. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 default program list: I am 66 and set in my ways. I downloaded a copy of the antique version of MS Paint from the internet because it has features I'm used to. I got it to work in Win10, but the only way to ad a .jpg or .bmp file to it is to drag and drop it, then it works perfectly. I want to...
  3. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 default program list: I am 66 and set in my ways. I downloaded a copy of the antique version of MS Paint from the internet because it has features I'm used to. I got it to work in Win10, but the only way to ad a .jpg or .bmp file to it is to drag and drop it, then it works perfectly. I want to...
  4. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Still can't keep any installed programs as defaults

Still can't keep any installed programs as defaults: Hope everyone here is doing well. So I'm on 1903...by choice (using SledgeHammer to disable any updates/upgrades until I want to do it) and I still can't keep any programs I installed as default. I even uninstalled the corresponding apps to see if the program I'm replacing it...
  6. List of Windows 10 default programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    List of Windows 10 default programs: Hello. I'm the owner of an Inspiron 15 Dell laptop running, up to this date, the latest version of windows 10. I recently did a sweep of all my systems and deleted some default programs to make room for some newer downloads. However upon closer inspection I found there was...
  7. Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs: How to choose multiple media apps to open different audio file types? i want one app to open .mp3 and a different app to open .wav 1 Choose default by type 2 NONE of the apps in the list are what I want and only option "look for app in store" **** not find the already...
  8. Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding programs to the list of Default Apps: I run Windows 10 Home, latest patches. It the settings where I set Default Apps, and I set for example Default Vide player , there appears just a short list of apps. Kodi does not appear on this list, even though it is installed. How do I add applications to this list? I...
  9. Any way to add programs to default list?

Any way to add programs to default list?: I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my default email program and isn't listed among available choices. Is there any way to add it to the list so I can make it the...
  10. Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults"

Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults": I am trying to set Quicken as my default PFM application (so that it will automatically open QFX file types), but even though the program is loaded and working it is not presented in the list of "applications" to be selected and used as a "default" application?? When I search...