Windows 10: installed win 8 on hard drive, now want to use as backup drive

Discus and support installed win 8 on hard drive, now want to use as backup drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I just installed windows 8 on this new 2gb disk as I was having issues with my current disk. My issues are resolved and I c an now boot up with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mickeddie, Dec 15, 2017.

1. mickeddie Win User

installed win 8 on hard drive, now want to use as backup drive

Hi. I just installed windows 8 on this new 2gb disk as I was having issues with my current disk. My issues are resolved and I c an now boot up with my "old" drive, and now the "new" drive is going to be my backup drive, but when I click on the properties this is what I see. What do I need to do to get this as a full, empty drive?

Thank you.

installed win 8 on hard drive, now want to use as backup drive [​IMG]

:)

mickeddie, Dec 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 wont upgrade beyond version 10240

Wanting to replace a bad hard drive but have no installation media.

I have an Asus that came preloaded with win-8

The product key is in the mother board.

I upgraded to win-10 last Fall then suffered a major crash.

Since I had no installation disks for win-8, re-installing win-8 took some doing.

After restoring win-8, I again upgraded to win-10.

For some reason it did not update to the November release and just discovered that because,

The hard drive is failing and chkdsk doesn't reclaim all the bad sectors so I can't image the disk.

I will take hours or at least most of a day to re-install win-8, then upgrade again to win-10 to image the disk so I can replace the hard drive.

The hard drive is failing. Over time it loses sectors.

I have a startup dvd but no back up image and I'm wondering where I can find an earlier win-10 iso so I can replace the hard drive, install win-10 without having to go all the way back to win-8.

All I can find are iso's for after the big November update

All my personal files are backed up. I just want to replace the hard drive, re-install the OS the easiest way I can.

From the control panel it displays a product key but it looks different than a key that comes with an OS installation disk.

When I re-installed win-8, it didn't ask for a key, it simply activated itself.

RockoMason, Dec 15, 2017
  3. Reinstall Windows 10

I bought a SSD for my comp to install just my OS on and i want to "factory reset" my standard hard drive. My OS is on that hard drive. I don't own a copy of win 10 but i do own a disk of win 8. If I install 8 can i re install 10 or do i have to buy another
    copy of 10

Bryan Schantz, Dec 15, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Don't mess with that, reserved for Windows boot... *Nerd Go to Disk Management and give a screenshot... *Cool

dmholt57, Dec 15, 2017
  5. mickeddie Win User
    I have a working windows boot disk. This drive is not going to be bootable.

mickeddie, Dec 15, 2017
  6. dmholt57 Win User
    Still, you need to go into Disk Manager to make the necessary changes to the drive. *really
    You want to delete the partition, this turns it to unallocated space that can be added back to main partition. *Wink

dmholt57, Dec 15, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    If you had this drive attached when you installed Windows to your new drive, Windows used the old System Reserved partition as a boot drive. If you unplug this drive to test this theory, Windows probably wont' bootup on your new drive.
    If you unplugged the new drive when you installed Windows to the new drive, then you can use a 3rd party utility like Minitool Partition Manager to delete this System Reserved Partition. Once the drive is all Unallocated Space, you can create a new partition and Format it, using this tool or Disk Management.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. installed win 8 on hard drive, now want to use as backup drive - Similar Threads - installed hard drive

2. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  3. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  4. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  5. Win 10 hard drive now online

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 hard drive now online: Hi! trying to help a friend out! She had a " friend" wipe her hard drive because someone had got into her PC and made themselves a hotspot. So this friend supposely wiped the drive. Well thats not what happened. She has a HP15 bs234wm which had a recovery manager installed....
  6. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  7. Backup of files on hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup of files on hard drives: Hello, I wish to know how to setup an incremental backup so it backs up only recently modified files on hard drives. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-of-files-on-hard-drives/6d3fbdac-3730-4c48-ae1e-29579484aa8a
  8. Restore backup using hard drive or optical drive?

Restore backup using hard drive or optical drive?: When i made a backup image file in my external hard drive can i directly restore it from my hard drive or should i make a bootable copy at an optical drive? And if it's possible to use my hard drive will it erase all the data inside the hard drive?...
  9. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  10. Hard drive crash with no backup

Hard drive crash with no backup: Hard drive crash on PC with no backup. Do I need to buy a new license key for Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crash-with-no-backup/a8309843-ad58-4a8a-8580-9641a8fe07fa