Windows 10: Installed Win10 Home, activated successfully but needed Pro. Can't activate with valid Pro key

Discus and support Installed Win10 Home, activated successfully but needed Pro. Can't activate with valid Pro key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just wiped my Ubuntu system, as I was having issues and decided to install Win10 Home. I bought a valid key on ebay and it activated just fine. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by embreeb, May 27, 2020.

1. embreeb Win User

Installed Win10 Home, activated successfully but needed Pro. Can't activate with valid Pro key

I just wiped my Ubuntu system, as I was having issues and decided to install Win10 Home. I bought a valid key on ebay and it activated just fine. I thought it would be fine as a Plex Media Server, but I can't RDP to a Win10 Home system from my Pro system, so I bought a Pro key. I wiped it again and installed Pro, using the MS Media creation tool, and while the key is valid, it won't activate, as the Home key is still tied to this system. How do I remove the Home activation and change it to Pro?

Brian

:)

embreeb, May 27, 2020
  2. tigger Win User

Windows 8.1 pro + WMC key activation

I was considering buying a WMC pro add on for my windows 8.1 pro install, but have googled and found some people had trouble activating it. Has anyone on here got any experience with this.

As to my install, I have a real Windows 8 pro key. So I installed windows 8 pro using a MSDN retail .iso which was activated soon as it finished installing , then I updated to .1 pro.

When you buy the WMC add on, it changes your key, I have read some people have had trouble activating it, now mine activates from windows, I hate doing the phone activation crap, so I don't want to have to do that after the WMC add on finishes installing.

The question is, what happens to my windows 8 pro key, is it still usable? and how would i go about if I had to reinstall? would it have to be-

Install win 8 pro-update to 8.1-install WMC add on, or could i use a windows 8.1 pro with WMC disc?

Thanks guys

Tigger

tigger, May 27, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User

This worked for me last time with a Win 8 key.

Install Windows 8.1 and enter KMS key during setup. Once in windows change product key to my Windows 8 key. Go to add features and enter my WMC add-on key. Drink a beer to a job well done.

FX-GMC, May 27, 2020
  4. tigger Win User

Installed Win10 Home, activated successfully but needed Pro. Can't activate with valid Pro key

So it will be fine installing 8.1 pro with a KMS key, then switch to my 8 pro key and it will activate ok?

Maybe a daft question but why can't you just install 8.1 pro with the 8 pro key, or is it different keys for 8 and 8.1? seems silly when 8.1 is a free update anyway.

tigger, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Installed Win10 Home, activated successfully but needed Pro. Can't activate with valid Pro key - Similar Threads - Installed Win10 Home

2. Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys: What happens to Windows 10 Home Original product key and version after upgrading to Pro ?Can I go back into my original version, Windows 10 Home, which came with my pc ?...
  3. Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys: What happens to Windows 10 Home Original product key and version after upgrading to Pro ?Can I go back into my original version, Windows 10 Home, which came with my pc ?...
  4. Win10 Pro Installed but not activated.

Win10 Pro Installed but not activated.: I just built a new PC with my dad. I installed windows using the USB. I entered the product key and it installed windows. But when I was going to change some personalization windows was not activated but I have windows 10 Pro. So how is this possible. Today I just got a...
  5. Win10 Pro Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Pro Activation: I purchased a computer with Win10 Home, then purchased Win10 Pro from the Microsoft Store, It failed on the install for some reason, I then put my Win10 key back in. After an windows update, it somehow upgraded to Win10 Pro but is not activated. I cannot find my...
  6. Upgrade and activate win10 home to Pro

Upgrade and activate win10 home to Pro: When I built my PC I installed Win10 home on it, but have decided I want win10 pro. So, I have bought a win10 pro key, but it is not working. I get the error: The product key that you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one....
  7. Windows 10 Pro key is not activating as Pro, only Home

Windows 10 Pro key is not activating as Pro, only Home: I have two Windows 10 Pro keys. I have just reinstalled windows onto a clean freshly formatted drive. My original key that was linked to my account was only showing up as a Home install, even though it is a Pro licence. I switched the key to a new Pro key, and I am having the...
  8. Upgrading Win10 Home (activated) to Pro (not activated)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading Win10 Home (activated) to Pro (not activated): Hi! I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Home activated with a digital license connected to my Microsoft account. I’d like to upgrade to Pro but as I don’t have the money for a new product key I’d like to keep it non-activated. I don’t mind sacrificing personalization...
  9. Can't Activate Windows.... 10 pro installed, 10 home key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Activate Windows.... 10 pro installed, 10 home key: Hey all, I recently bought a refurbished laptop with Win 10 Pro installed. Constant "Activate Windows"in bottom right of screen. Tried to activate, error code, called Microsoft 4 times, finally got an answer..... my key that is installed is for 10 Home, not 10 Pro that's...
  10. WIN10 Pro unable to activate to WIN Home

WIN10 Pro unable to activate to WIN Home: The Activation Wizard tells me I have a Windows Pro but I am unable to achieve change to Windows Home. I have tried at least ten times but always finish as Windows Pro. The Activation Program has also advised that I have an electric product key. I don't know how to find it....