Windows 10: Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

Discus and support Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help] in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm grateful for any help! I disconnected my other drives so that only my new SSD was connected. I then booted from a USB stick with the Win10 install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Lucky-TAW, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

I'm grateful for any help!

I disconnected my other drives so that only my new SSD was connected. I then booted from a USB stick with the Win10 install files on it. That let me install Windows on the new SSD. It went fine, and I was able to boot from the new drive, download drivers, etc., etc. But when I shut down and reconnected the other SATA cables, the PC went back to booting from the previous Win10 install.

And yes, I went into the BIOS and set the new drive to be the first boot one.

A friend said that I have to somehow tell the Master Boot Record on the old boot drive to not be active and "claim" the boot on the machine, and instead get the MBR on the new drive to be the dominant boot one. -Is that right? How would one do that?

submitted by /u/Lucky-TAW
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Lucky-TAW, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Caramelo Win User

Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd

I looked over the tutorial for custom installation of win 10 but it had many steps about microsoft accounts that I'm not sure are applicable to me.

I have a new pc with a brand new ssd (sata) and I have made a bootable usb drive with win10 installation files on it.

I'd like to use a step by step guide of how to install the os, including if I need to format the ssd and whether I need to do anything special during the installation in order to be able to boot in UEFI bios.

Caramelo, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Josh_922 Win User
    Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Rhenn_101 Win User

Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

Win10 clean install on new drive, dual boot w/win7 on old drive. New Win10 drive won't boot

As per subject line above, I did clean install of Win 10 on new drive. Left Win7 on old drive. All went fine; PC boots as long as old drive is present. Boot option screen appears at boot offering choice of Win10 or 7. Works fine. BUT, when I removed old
    drive with Win7, system won't boot from new drive (CInstalled Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help] :). Apparently Win10 installed boot selection and/or something critical on the OLD drive. The new drive shows the Win10 logo in File Explorer (when old drive is present), and all Win10 files appear to have
    installed correctly on the new disk. But it won't boot by itself - so something is missing. (Yes, I changed the boot sequence order in the bios to look for the new drive.) But bios prompts for a bootable disk, meaning the new C: drive is "not bootable". What
    gives?

Thanks for any help!!!

Rhenn_101, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

1. Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help] - Similar Threads - Installed Win10 SSD

2. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  3. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  4. New ssd and now no boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New ssd and now no boot?: Hello I need help as I seem to have messed things up. I have apparently reached my max # of storage devices at 4 tho I am out of room. So I decided to upgrade my 500gb ssd to a 4tb. After doing so and initializing it as well as setting it to active now I can't boot. Even...
  5. New ssd and now no boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New ssd and now no boot?: Hello I need help as I seem to have messed things up. I have apparently reached my max # of storage devices at 4 tho I am out of room. So I decided to upgrade my 500gb ssd to a 4tb. After doing so and initializing it as well as setting it to active now I can't boot. Even...
  6. PC won't boot after installing new SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't boot after installing new SSD: Hi, I just bought and installed a new SSD on my PC previously had an SSD and HD. But when I tried to boot the PC, it showed a message "reboot and select proper boot device... Press a key". I was able to boot the PC using windows boot manager. But the booting process is...
  7. Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb: Trying to boot a win 10 ver. 2004 (may 2020) installer from a USB and even tried booting from a DVD. It gets stuck before the installer opens, just a frozen screen with either the motherboard logo or the blue windows logo. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H ver. 2.0 I have...
  8. New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help: Hi all, I have bought a new M2.SSD. I have used Macrium reflect softwer to clone my SSD to My new M2.SSD,I have cloned all the partitions but unfortunately My PC won't boot up I Have change it on The Bios and selected as first drive to boot from but still won't boot As...
  9. New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected: I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD) partitioned into two drives, C 150Gb and D about 85Gb. The other HD is a Seagate 2TB which is partitioned into 4 drives, E, 700Gb, F,...
  10. PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot: Hi all, Hoping somebody can help. I think my PC was trying to install Windows 10 when I did some Windows Updates recently. I use the word "think" because I never signed up for the free upgrade and I never agreed for Windows 10 to be installed on my PC and I don't recall...