Windows 10: Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let...

Discus and support Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My motherboard - MSI B450i Ryzen 7 2700 2 * 8GB DDR4 Ballistix RAM Samsung Evo 860 480 GB I've recently installed and setup my desktop. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kvn95, Sep 18, 2020.

1. /u/kvn95 Win User

Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let...

My motherboard -

MSI B450i

Ryzen 7 2700

2 * 8GB DDR4 Ballistix RAM

Samsung Evo 860 480 GB

I've recently installed and setup my desktop. When installing I had kept the BIOS settings in default, which set things to CSM.

Since I had installed the Win10 in GPT partition and my msinfo32 was also showing BIOS mode as UEFI, I thought I would change the BIOS to UEFI.

When booting into Windows with this change, it keeps on loading (dots going in circle at bottom) and keeps rolling for as long as it's let to. Restarting triggers automatic repair, but after Diagnosing my PC, I just see the light blue screen, again for as long as it's let to (I tried 30 min on each, didn't see any change/progress).

What could be the issue? Is a reinstall the only way?? Would rebuilding my BCD help?

submitted by /u/kvn95
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kvn95, Sep 18, 2020

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Sep 18, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

I think you were on track with your first try. Windows installer probably needs the RAID driver in order to detect it on install.

Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let... [​IMG]

FX-GMC, Sep 18, 2020
  4. gupsterg Win User

Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let...

UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Switching to UEFI bios on GPU does not enable UEFI mode if motherboard is set CSM = On. Setting CSM = Off in my experience causes Windows 7 issues, even if installed as UEFI mode with GPT partition on storage device.

gupsterg, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Installed Windows 10 in GPT drive, but changing BIOS settings from CSM to UEFI doesn't let... - Similar Threads - Installed GPT drive

2. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  3. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  4. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?: Hello,I really want to turn on Secure Boot, but that is not possible if my BIOS is UEFI with CSM and not UEFI only. I have checked my drives2 and they are both GPT and not MBR. As for Secure Boot itself, in the BIOS it says it's enabled, but obviously it doesn't show up while...
  6. Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i safely change my BIOS from UEFI with CSM to UEFI only?: Hello,I really want to turn on Secure Boot, but that is not possible if my BIOS is UEFI with CSM and not UEFI only. I have checked my drives2 and they are both GPT and not MBR. As for Secure Boot itself, in the BIOS it says it's enabled, but obviously it doesn't show up while...
  7. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  8. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...
  9. Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10

Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10: I used the Windows converting program MBR2GPT.exe to convert my SSD to GPT and it reported it had done it. I then rebooted and entered the bios and changed one setting from Legacy ROM to EFI Compatible ROM and another setting called 'UEFI Boot' from Disabled to Enabled and...
  10. BIOS - CSM setting changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS - CSM setting changed: Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled. I've loaded BIOS defaults then set OS to Windows 8, CSM set to Never. Secure boot is enabled by default. I also enable virtualisation as my CPU supports it...